Help

BusyBoard

Ready Math..HELP!!

>

charmed12

Ready Math..HELP!!
Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Fellow teachers and anyone using/has used READY MATH.. HELP!! I LOVE math, I've been teaching Eureka for 5 + years and have it down to a T, where kids have shown growth and kids are testing hight at the end of the year. My low kids needs are met etc. I LOVE IT.

That being said, we HAVE to move to Ready Math this year and I strongly dislike it. Their pacing is off - ex: they put rounding to the 1000, 10,000, and 100,000 all in one lesson.. WTF? Eureka breaks each one down in a lesson, THEN put all 3 into a lesson. Also, RM is full of "productive struggle" which honestly, it isn't. We tried a lesson today and it was miserable. I have no idea how to do this. And we're supposed to do this in GROUPS..it doesn't work in groups. There is hardly ANYTHING out there on google in terms of reviews or people's thoughts. So if anyone has experience - let me know. I come from a school that is highly rigorous and this math just isn't going to be that. Thanks!

charmed12 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 08-29-2019, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am no help, but I am right there with you. This is my first time using it. It seems like a slideshow and a worksheet every day. It is SO not engaging, nor hands-on. I keep thinking I must be missing something.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Pilot
Old 08-29-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I piloted Ready Math last year and hated it. There was not enough independent work for the students. I am hoping we do not move to this series next year. Would love to see what others think.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-29-2019, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I happen to like RM! It really digs into and teaches the whole standard. It is a different way of teaching, but if embraced your students can do really well and scores should soar. I've seen it happen!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you have access to the online component? The Teacher Toolbox.
We use both the reading and math from them as our core instruction.

We use the videos on there often to introduce content, we also have iReady for our prescribed computer program too though.

We use Ready math and like it.

Though, we use the practice and problem solving book... not the instruction book. If you have access to the online part you can access all of the books. We find it very rigorous for our kids and it definitely prepares them for our state testing (it’s actually harder than our assessment). We supplement some, but not a lot.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

2 books
Old 08-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of the things i did not like about it was the two workbooks. I liked problem solving book but found the instruction book to be so tedious. At times they had the answers on the pages. Maybe using the online component for instruction and focus on the problem solving book for independent work may help.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote
charmed12
Old 08-29-2019, 04:21 PM
This message has been deleted by charmed12.

charmed12

Old 08-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I haven't seen a lot of independent either but that's why I'm posting here - looking for help and guidance that anyone can provide to maybe make it blend somehow with supplements.. thanks for the reply!

charmed12

Old 08-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Teachnkids: I tried to reply to your PM but it isn't showing n my sent box. Please let me know if received and I'm just not seeing it being sent?

charmed12

Old 08-29-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Lilbitkm: we do have access to it (just the math) and iReady as part of centers. I guess coming from a program like Eureka and then going to RM, I feel like the rigor isn't up to par. But I'm open to ideas!