Help

Special Education

More move-in madness

>

Cinderella00

More move-in madness
Old 08-05-2020, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So it only gets better with these move-in IEPs.
I have another student (from a different district) with services for OT and push-in for math services. BUT no goals for either. In fact, the IEP says he's doing fine in math. No mention in the IEP anywhere of what he needs OT for.

These are going to be fun IEPs to re-write.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-05-2020, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's always so interesting to see what shows up. Every year there is some nonsense. One of my favorites was a kid who showed up in October with a reeval due literally the next day. Silly me, I assumed his previous school had already completed it and requested the paperwork. They were unaware that it was due . When I called, I was told they had a "basket of paperwork" and they would dig through it to see if anything about this student was in it...

Last year every single new kid at the beginning of the year showed up with something weird. I remember getting one IEP and we were celebrating that it finally seemed "normal." Reading disability, couple of relevant goals, reasonable service time, etc. Then I realized the IEP was dated 2018. The school she'd come from hadn't realized all year that she had an IEP, so everything was outdated from the school she'd attended prior to that one.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Parents?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This situation reminds me of my previous and current district and the strange things the district put in IEPs to appease parents. Both are low SES schools FWIW.

Anyway, even if our re-eval testing indicated the child no longer needed related services they would often move the student to consult - meaning they would either email me once a month if I had concerns or pop in to my room to observe the student. This applied to social work, speech, OT and PT.

Academically, consult could be talking with the regular ed teacher once a month or monitoring a behavior or academic intervention that the regular ed teachers did.

The word consult was never used in the paper work. It was just extremely low minutes so they can tell the parent they are getting services.

Last edited by readandweep; 08-06-2020 at 06:32 AM..
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

IEPs
Old 08-06-2020, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You know, my teacher friend across the hall is our special education lead teacher, and this happens all the time.

Iím not a special education teacher, but in college, the *one* class I had to take on diverse learners included writing a mock IEP based on a dummy evaluation file. I had to know how to write goals and benchmarks and so on.

I look at some of the stuff she gets (as an EL teacher, some kids overlap), and I canít figure eight how the IEP got past anyone. If there is a math need, WHY is there no goal...and if they donít need math support, why is it not re-evaluated and dismissed properly?
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-06-2020, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've had those weird IEPs, too. Sometimes I can read between the lines of the meeting notes and realize that goals that seem wonky were put in to appease a parent, etc. But there's also a teacher in a school that feeds into mine who just writes goals, especially around behavior, that are completely unrealistic and can't be measured in any meaningful way. I know that any time I get one of their kids it means I'm going to have to hold a review meeting pretty quickly. It's pretty annoying and sped admin won't do anything about it (until a parent decides to sue).

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote