Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

And the thyroid plot thickens...

>

Clarity

And the thyroid plot thickens...
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 AM

After an ultrasound and a needle biopsy, surgeon called with "results," which basically were "not sure what's going on." They could not say definitely yes or no, only that there could be some "funny cells" (highly technical term).

Surgeon says next option is to have right side of thyroid chopped off to see what's up. Uhh, they can't put it back if it is okay. If it isn't okay, the other half would also be removed.

Anyone ever face this dilemma? I asked for a second opinion and a referral to an endocrinologist before taking such a drastic step. All blood tests are absolutely normal and fine. Other than a bump on my neck, no symptoms of anything. I sometimes really wish I was the kind of person that could just say, "Okay, fine, doc, how soon can we start chopping?" But I'm not.

I didn't think 2020 could get any worse.

Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 08-12-2020, 06:03 AM

A second opinion is so important. Good for you! I had a big bump on my neck and half my thyroid was removed. A few years later the other half was removed. Evidently, the bumps can grow. The endocrinologist will have advice. Good luck.
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 08-12-2020, 06:35 AM

I am glad you are seeing an endocrinologist. My DD has Hashimotos Disease and after her dr. discovered it she was sent to the endocrinologist for a second opinion on her treatment. We love her dr. She has had several ultra sounds and biopsies as well. So far hers are negative and they have not removed her thyroid. I am sending positive thoughts your way.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 08-12-2020, 06:38 AM

Been there, done that. Had a growth on the right side of my thyroid. Did the iodine test, which showed it wasn't functioning as thyroid tissue. Was told biopsy was next step, but frequently results are inconclusive, so I chose to go straight to surgery, since it was likely that would be end result anyway. Turns out it was not cancerous, but I did find out I have Hashimoto's thyroid, so even though thyroid was functioning, it wasn't functioning as well as it should, hence the symptoms and need for thyroid meds.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-12-2020, 06:47 AM

I went to an endo after my gp found something .It was a very small 2cm thing but he was suspicious. The Endocrinologist has an ultrasound tool that checked for any blood flow to the mass. It showed up on the screen as a red color in my case. Then the biopsy was done right there. Go to an endo and get all the info at once. Best wishes for a great outcome.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Hashimotos
Old 08-12-2020, 06:52 AM

I have Hashimotos and had a goiter.

In addition to an endocrinologist have you been referred to an ear, nose and throat doctor? Also your blood levels my not be in range as the range has changed in the last 10-15 years.

The goiter did not effect me physically, but I had all the classic symptoms of hashimotos.

For years my blood levels were in the "right" range. Then the range changed, I was put on on synthroid and it was determined a good level for me was lower/higher than "normal."

The ent watched the goiter carefully for about 10 years and at one point I had a fine needle biopsy, but they did not find anything. A lot depended on the quality of the ultrasound.

I would have an ultrasound every year, then (after needle biopsy) every 6 months, then a year and every two years. Now I no longer see the ENT, but still see the endo every year.

A good endo should also be able to be more aggressive with your levels of syntroid. My GP at the time was not comfortable upping my dosage so she referred me to an endocrinologist for closer monitoring.
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Good idea
Old 08-12-2020, 07:09 AM

Seeking more information is a good plan.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I had the whole thing taken out.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:35 AM

I developed hyperthyroidism 12 years ago. I had multiple nodules and I had the biopsy and the thyroid uptake and scan. I was on multiple medications and it was hard to control. I was being treated by an endocrinologist and she said I wasn't a good candidate for the radioactive iodine thyroid treatment because I had so many nodules that they were afraid the radioactive iodine would cause the nodules to become misshapen and harder to biopsy. The doctor gave me two options. I could have half taken out, with the distinct possibility that I would need to have the other half taken out eventually, or I could have the whole thing taken out. I opted for removing the whole thing. The worst part of it was that my uvula was so swollen after the surgery that swallowing was painful for a few days.

I would get a second opinion.
anonymouse is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Thyroid
Old 08-12-2020, 10:44 AM

I would definitely seek a second opinion.

My dd had a growth on her thyroid. After an ultrasound and biopsy the doctors said the cells were slowly turning to cancer.

Two doctors explained it in similar ways. This way was the easiest to understand.

Pretend you are in a country music band. All of the members love country music and only want to play country music. Suddenly the drummer quits. The new drummer loves country but wants to throw in a rock song once in awhile. The band agrees and life goes on. Then the piano player moves out of state. The new piano player likes country music but likes and wants to play 2-3 rock songs per performance. The band agrees and life goes on. When the lead singer moves to another band the original band hires a lead singer that will sing country but wants half of the performances to be rock songs. The band agrees and continues to perform.

Do you see how the band is slowly turning from a country music band to a rock band? Thatís what the cells in my ddís thyroid were doing. They were slowly becoming cancerous.

My dd had the right half of her thyroid removed and tested by two different labs. They both found the same results as the biopsy had found. Itís been 4 years and she is doing very well with only half of a thyroid. The doctors said 90% of their patients do fine with half of a thyroid. My daughter decided she was going to be one of the 90% and she has been!

I wish you luck with all of this. I hope this information helps you in whatever decision you make.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-12-2020, 11:03 AM

A second opinion is always a good idea whenever you are unsure or still have questions.

all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsP0405

Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 AM

I was just scheduling an appointment for a thyroid biopsy today. I also have a nodule and it's been growing each year. The radiologist recommended a biopsy but my ENT had me consult an endocrinologist first. She recommended the biopsy. When I called the radiology group to schedule my appt, the employee asked if my doctor wanted to send it to Afirma. I asked my doctor and she said it was not necessary for me at this time. Maybe look into this and ask your doctor about additional testing before surgery? I don't know much about it other than what I read on the website after the radiology group mentioned it as I was curious what it was. I would also get a second opinion from a different doctor to see what they think.
MrsP0405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

MrsPO405 - thanks for the tip.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:10 PM

I briefly looked at that website and the first line was stunning - 75% of surgical diagnoses were unnecessary?? Wow. That's what I'm afraid of.

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I am naturally not inclined to go with surgery as a first, second, or even third option. Right now, I am going to wait for the Endocrinologist appointment and really upgrade my diet and use of supplements to see how that changes things.

I am rather astonished at how many people's thyroids just go bad. There has to be a nutritional/emotional/spiritual link to all of this. Guess I have my work cut out for me (no pun intended).

anna

Old 08-13-2020, 04:14 PM

I had thyroid cancer and had my entire thyroid removed. Three docs told me it most likely came from the environment and this happens to women more than men. Mammograms are being looked at as well as dental xrays. Get your neck covered for both. Be vigilant about your health and get anything "different" checked out thoroughly.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

anna - I do wonder about the environment
Old 08-14-2020, 05:29 AM

aspect. I moved back to my hometown three years ago, and it is no secret that the cancer rates around here are through the roof!

My former MIL just sent me an email about when she was a girl in Utah. She said most of the older women had goiters of some size. The school children lined up each morning for an iodine pill. She said her mom and many older relatives had goiters, but that they disappeared when they began taking iodine. She sent me a box of supplements specific to the thyroid, so I started taking them.

My iodine levels are low normal. I will see the endocrinologist and go from there. Hope it does not take forever.

multigrade

Old 08-14-2020, 07:45 AM

stopthethyroidmadness.com is excellent. Many doctors want to cut off chunks of the thyroid instead of finding the reason it's large. Synthroid (a synthetic t4 medicine) is the commonly prescribed thyroid med, but if you have conversion problems, t3 can be a better choice.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-14-2020, 06:01 PM

I am sorry. I know you must be very worried. Good for you for asking for a second opinion. I think that is a very wise decision. Please continue to keep us updated.

(((HUGS)))

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is online now   Reply With Quote