And what’s your plan to educate your child? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

And what’s your plan to educate your child?

>

GreyhoundGirl

And what’s your plan to educate your child?
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district released their learning plan. I’ll admit it’s not perfect, but show me a plan that is. I’m not crazy about having kids plugged in to Google Meet from 9-12 everyday either and we haven’t figured out how we’re going to deal with related services.

One parent said,” We we’re doing g her kids dirty” and I love everything about that statement.

So a handful of parents are disenrolling their kids. Cool. You do you. Here’s my question: What’s your plan to educate them this year? You don’t want them to do elearning. You’re not going to teach them. Are you letting them sit out a year of school? Flying them to FL? What’s your plan? Just curious.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Catholic or Private School?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We will be in session, with protocols in place, but not enough safety for me. Probably plenty for the parents who feel like it is in their best interest.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-13-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe. That’s a good guess.

Lilbitkm

Old 08-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’m in Florida and our “innovative”online option is required to follow the bell schedule. So elementary students are on computers from 8:45-3:00 with 45 minutes for lunch/recess.We started school on Monday.
It is so developmentally inappropriate, we are doing are best but it’s a lot!

And do people not realize how much time is gained when you have no transitions and aren’t moving kids around??

Our county and state both have real online schools (using the same learning platform) that many students and teachers are moving to.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

bonita47

Old 08-13-2020, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Where I live, the public schools are going all on-line but the Catholic schools and many charter schools are opening. So a lot of parents are enrolling their kids in those schools. I teach Kindergarten and a lot of the daycares centers (Primrose, Goddard, Tutor Time etc.) are offering private full day Kindergarten in person so we also have parents sending their kinders to those facilities as well. Most of the parents I know have no choice but to find somewhere in person for their child because they have to work. Some have jobs, where they canno work from home, nurse, nursing home worker, grocery store worker Or they may work from home but are not allowed to have children with them while WFH. For example, my husband works remotely but takes calls all day and it is an automatic write up if children are heard in background. His employer not only monitors the calls but monitors keyboard strokes and there cannot be long periods of time away from computer or pay is docked. It’s not always that parents “don’t want” their child doing elearning. Many have no choice.

bonita47 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

My DD is keeping her daughter out of public
Old 08-13-2020, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

School this year. She will remain at her day care with only 10 kids in her preK class. Her little sisters class is only 5. She does not trust the local elementary schools protocols and I totally understand.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Tutors and pods
Old 08-13-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A new business opened up here devoted to space for tutors and therapists to rent rooms to do remote learning and therapy.

A local business hired a tutor and made space for their employees children to learn in a pod.

The Y, Boys and Girls Club and Urban League all have plans in place to have a place to go for students to be supervised and helped with remote learning.

Several have plans to use our district's buildings, but I am not sure if there is anything official in regards to that.

Our local parochial schools are all in person five days a week with slightly shortened school days. I believe the lowest tuition rate is 2,000 per year per child.

A lot of people plan to "homeschool" meaning leave the kids with a relative or neighbor and avoid truancy when the kids don't log on to remote learning.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my county private as well as public schools are not allowed to open in person. Families have formed learning pods and are paying as much as $45 per hour for people to facilitate small groups. They have outdoor set ups, inlaw units.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

alternatives
Old 08-13-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Around here some dance, gymnastic, karate academies etc are adjusting and offering school day supervision of e-learning and giving enrichment classes. May be an alternative for some working families.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In the school district where I live the recreation department is offering remote learning day camp. Only for grades 2-8 Which is strange. Only for essential workers $20 per day. Limit of 50 kids. Lunches provided by the school district. I fortunately am retired with no young kids.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-13-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yeah, but if they're unenrolling their kids, who's doing the teaching for the elarning?

Sbkangas5

Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've heard so many different plans. Private schools that are opening in person, homeschooling, hiring tutors or teachers to homeschool small groups, e-learning centers, transferring to online schools with more flexibility. Heck, if it was legal I'd just let my kids skip a year and get a job.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

They aren't
Old 08-14-2020, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I think some families are in situations and have so few options that their first priority is child care and no learning will occur unless the student is motivated on their own or the student returns to school in person.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-14-2020, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm guessing they're thinking a private school but, if they didn't contact those schools prior to disenrolling their kids from public school, they may be in for a shock.

I teach in a Catholic school and they are planning to begin the school year with face-to-face learning five days/week. However, they are capping their class sizes at 15 so some classes are full and others only have a couple of slots left. They will not have enough places to accomodate everyone who will be unhappy if the public school decides to start virtually, which won't be decided until Monday.

I am a little frustrated because, always in the past, the parochial schools have followed the public school schedule because they use the same bussing which meant that I didn't have to worry about my grandson being on a different calendar. But, I also understand that public schools can't cap class sizes at 15.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

The Grands
Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Will begin virtual learning on Monday, as the district plans for 3 weeks of online learning for all students, then hopefully transition back to classrooms sometime after Labor Day. There was the option of virtual learning for the full year, but when asked, the grands wanted to be back in school.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

BettyAnna

Old 08-15-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We had a bunch of teachers and paras quit and now teachers are being moved around to fill those spots. We were given the plan yesterday and after seeing it I expect more resignations are coming. Many teachers here are refusing to go back. A NJ district will be going online because 400 teachers are refusing to go in to school because they didn't trust the district.
BettyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

All Schools
Old 08-15-2020, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

All Schools Public, Charter, and Private within reasonable driving distance are mandated to be closed down by the governor of the state in my area. Makes all choices limited. Deciding to go private won't change the fact it is on line learning.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaimana

Old 08-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I just got a job as a private homeschool teacher for a family that pulled their 1st and 6th grader from school. I will teach them in their home from 9-2 every day. Parents are paying a salary/bonus that is equivalent to a public school teacher with the same holidays/breaks.

Before I go to their house I will homeschool a 3rd grade boy in math for an hour 7:30-8:30. He was also in public school last year and his sister is doing virtual learning but he is special ed and parents did not feel he would benefit from virtual learning. He has a separate reading/writing tutor and then his nanny teaches him social studies and science.

Another teacher I know is running a private kindergarten out of her home with 8 kids.

My daughter goes to private school and they will open in person with small group classes.

My brother put his kindergarten daughter back at her private preK for another year and the school will support her virtual learning.

So there are many options...
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote