Help

The VENT

Kids say the .... Things

>

DeDee76

Kids say the .... Things
Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I asked one of my students to put the notebook she uses for doodling away during the lesson today. She is really getting under my skin. Her response was that she already knows everything I am teaching and was taking notes. I guess she's got her own language. Clearly what was in her book were not notes. She told me I am mean to her. She walked out crying and told me I was making her depressed and anxious.

DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 10-01-2018, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ask her to take her "notes" out and tell you what they say. If she is able to report back on what you covered, then I guess her doodles are pretty good notes. Or give a pop quiz where students can use their notes.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was told a similar story today too. One of my students went for a bathroom break, after 10 min I went to check on her. I walked into the room just in time to see her swinging from the stall door. (BTW, the look on her face was priceless and it took all my self control to not say 'busted' ).

Anyway, I sent my other students to specials with another teacher so I could deal with my Tarzan. I asked her to write a note telling her parents why she was wasting time in the bathroom and swinging from the door. She wrote that it was all my fault because I don't let her have any fun in school, I won't let her do art during math time, and I make her do homework during free time. Huh!? Yup, yup, and yup. Guilty of all 3 accusations.

We are not allowed to swing from doors in school because it is not safe and I do not want the students to get hurt. Well, math time is for math, not art. And, if you would do your work instead of wasting time in the bathroom you could get free time too.

There was absolutely no ownership of her behavior.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Maybe I'm Mean...
Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think her comments are a way to avoid taking responsibility for her actions. I would give her a consequence for disrespecting you (arguing and having her notebook out in the first place) as well as for leaving the classroom. I assume she did not have permission to noodle in the first place and is not normally allowed to do so. I also assume she did not ask permission to leave the room. I have worked with many children who argue or throw fits thinking that it will get them what they want. They pout and whine in hopes it will let them escape consequences, doing their work, etc. The thing is... obviously it's working somewhere or she wouldn't be trying it.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Doodling...
Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This seems to be a constant with many of my students. They can't sit and focus on what we're doing--they need to draw all the time? I do have time for art in class that goes with the assignment we're working on. I think it is part of their expectation that they must always multi-task and will always be entertained--with phone, tablet, or paper. They always think they know everything, as well

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

Accountability
Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am totally in agreement. She is not accountable for her behavior. She always has to comment back or make excuses.
DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Sheesh!
Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sheesh! Boo freakin' Hoo. I'm sorry but I'm just over that kind of behavior.
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote