BusyBoard

Prodigy

>

dee

Prodigy
Old 09-30-2018, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I'm looking to add technology in my math class. I teach 3 different grades of struggling math students.

Have you used this program?
It's free, and I like I can get data from it.
Any first hand experience?

dee is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-30-2018, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just started it this year. I’m underwhelmed. The kids have spent more time playing the game part and messaging each other on it rather than doing the actual math. I won’t be using it next year. I’m hearing good things about Zearn, but haven’t had a chance to look into it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Prodigy
Old 09-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach fourth and am underwhelmed also. I logged on and played, and I spent most of the time gathering jewels or unlocking treasure chests or having laser sword fights. The “infomercial” on the website says how engaged the kids are and how much growth they made in math. I saw no growth. I turned it into one of the Friday choice activities for kids who had all their work completed.
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Glad I asked!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The 3 grades I teach are middle school.

I don't need them messaging each other, I need them doing math!

Thanks for your responses!
I'll look into Zearn.

iteachk2010

Old 09-30-2018, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Would Moby Max or Khan Academy have what you are looking for?

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

I'll check into Moby Max
Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Khan goes too fast for these kids from what I can see.

I'm also trying to avoid anything that screams out the grade level they're working on. All the students are at least 2 grades below their actual grade. It's demoralizing for a 7th grader (or anyone) to have "3rd grade" on the screen!

Last edited by dee; 10-01-2018 at 02:45 PM..

TexTeacher

Old 10-01-2018, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For those of you that are undwhelmed, are you setting plans and assignments? In Prodigy you can force kids to do assignments and they have to do those before gaming. You can decided how many questions they get and the topics they get the questions on. I always have an assignment set and plans set so they are working on specific skills that I set.

We also use Learning Farm. The PTO purchased a license for us. We really like it and use it for math, science, and Elar.
TexTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am so glad I am not the only one underwhelmed. I have co-workers who think this game is the best thing ever and I just dont see it.

My class loves it, but for a "math game" taking up some of my in class math time...its big on game and too little on math.

I set the assignments for this trimester to go with my in class lessons, so at least they are working on the right things (otherwise they can do almost any kind of math even stuff you havent taught and they cant do, or stuff that way below them) but I saw in the first few times I let the class use it that several kids only answered 2 or 3 simple questions in 30 minutes. Our time is the most precious so I need to use it wisely and this game is not a wise use of math time if htey completed 5-7 minutes worth of math in 30 minutes.

However since it does have math, and the kids love it I made it a "fun Friday" game, and an early finisher option.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

IXL is amazing, in my opinion, but it is expensive. You are able to quickly look at content and assign lessons to match what you are teaching or where students are struggling. You can use grade level or level with an ABC type style. I used it frequently, like almost daily, until my school would no longer longer purchase it. They want us to use Accelerated Math instead. I don't like AM and find it cumbersome to use.
I used Prodigy this summer with my summer groups and was very underwhelmed too. I created a Zearn acct but haven't had time to look at it. I do use Moby Max but mostly for vocab and math facts.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Zearn
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just wanted to say I really like Zearn. It also has lessons that a teacher can do that matchup, homework options, and other independent work options. It says the grade level in a fairly subtle way. At the top of the lesson, it will say G3 Mission 1 if they are on the 1st mission of grade 3. However, they only see this if they go into the part where it shows there completed levels. It's not very obvious. So, a child looking for it could probably figure it out. Also, some of the lower levels might be obvious if a child was looking over their shoulder as they are of course covering lower level content. I have my students wear headphones and it's not yet been an issue. Honestly, my struggling students appreciated that it was easier for them.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

I'll have to check it out
Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you!

Becca4

Math
Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't teach Math, but the teachers in my grade love Zearn and iXL.
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 10-03-2018, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love Prodigy. The only thing is you have to set it up, and it does have different modes. I’ve played it with my students and while it does look like a lot of “game” time, it really does balance well in my experience. It is very similar to Pokémon, but in order to battle they must answer the questions correctly. Each battle typically involves 4-5 questions before you defeat the other player. I usually set a plan for 2-3 days, followed by an assignment, and a new plan based off the assignment scores. On weeks that we are reviewing in Math, I set it to test prep.

As for the below level and the too hard stuff, you have to set a grade level override. If you don’t then the students are given a placement test and that is what is determining their content. If my students complete their plan and assignment ahead of time, it kicks them back to material for the grade level I have assigned them.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Claus

Old 10-04-2018, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree that IXL is amazing. I use it daily. It's organized and easy to use. We have had parent and student complaints when teachers assign a lot and require 100% on each topic, but when used correctly it is a great practice tool that helps students master math content. If only it were free
Mrs.Claus is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'll go against the flow a little, I still like prodigy although I agree the recent chat addition is a pain. I had a long term sub assignment a few years ago, where we were suppose to do math rotations, IXL, and two other programs. As a sub I had access to the work we were supposed to be doing, but not enough acess to unlock most of the features and unable to utilize the student portion. So we did an hour of prodigy. I set up several hundred questions for each day that were either aligned with the days work, or the previous day. I used the rankings to get the competition going, and added recess time for meeting goals. Very few of my title 1 kiddos had internet at home, but a few worked at home or on parents cellphone. I use it to prepare for the map test, and after my 2 months, my kiddos outscored the other 3 classes that were aligned with the District program. Now that there is chat, I'd put everyone's screen up on the smart board to ensure that everyone is doing what they should be doing. I'm level 74, and they like battling me, and even when they battle each other, they still have to do the math. I also had parents involved. I don't think it's a good primary program to replace instruction, but it's definitely useful if the kiddos like it.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote