Help

The VENT

Phonics Games

>

seenthelight

Phonics Games
Old 01-30-2020, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student that I struggling quite a bit. I actually posted about their struggles a little while back. This child also lacks maturity. I get a lot farther when I can ďtrickĒ the child into practicing their phonics by playing a game, but Iím running out of ideas. Does anyone have any good games ideas? These would be played during 1-1 time.

On another note, it canít be fun and games all the time. Any suggestions for how to motivate a child to want to get the work done.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

By phonics
Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are you wanting to focus on letter sounds, hearing the sounds in words, or blending?

One of my most popular letter sounds game is like hide and seek for sounds. I have an alphabet pocket chart and we take turns hiding a penny in the pockets. Then the other person has to guess what letter sound it's in.

For reading words, I play a game that's kind like Uno. Each player gets 3-5 CVC words. The first person reads a word and puts it in the middle. The next person has to match one of the sounds. So if the first card it 'cat' the next person could put down 'ran' because the middle sound matches. Then the next person could put down 'rug' because the 'r' matches, and so on and so on. If they can't match any of the sounds, they draw a card. The first person to get rid of all their cards wins and gets a sticker.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you. Iíll try Uno. Iím focusing on initial sounds and blending.

apple annie

Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a student on the spectrum who is perfectly capable of doing the work but digs in when she would rather not do it. She won't work for me, but she will do it for her stuffed animal that she sets on her desk.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Game Ideas
Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you tried Roll Say Keep?

If you aren't familiar you use a game board that is just a piece of paper split into 6 equal sections. Each section is numbered 1-6. You put a word or sound on each spot and then roll a dice. If you get a 4 then you read whatever is on number 4. If you get it correct you get to keep the word and put a new word in it's place. Many of my students love it even after playing it frequently.

You could also try Kaboom (or Pop/Pow/Bang).

In Kaboom you have a deck of cards with words or sounds. Mixed into the deck are 1-3 Kaboom cards. You take turns each reading one card. If you get it right you get to keep it. If you get the Kaboom you have to put back all your cards. The idea is the game can be played for any period of time because you never run out of cards.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-31-2020, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks Lillybabe. Iíll add those to me arsenal.