Help

BusyBoard

Piggyback on Future School Closures

>

Song of Joy

Piggyback on Future School Closures
Old 04-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another post has made me think about what will happen if COVID-19 crops up again. I hope I'm not overly optimistic but I think there is hope.

Even if the COVID-19 returns next year, I think things won't be as bad. For one thing, some people will have developed immunity.

For another, I think we may go to wearing masks whenever there's a flu outbreak. I really do think the masks help since Japan, Singapore and South Korea have seen a very different outbreak situation. I compare masks to wearing seat belts. Seat belts don't prevent every traffic fatality, but they do reduce the risk. And I'd rather wear a mask than get sick or be stuck at home.

Also I think some of the drugs being developed will either prevent or reduce the symptoms. Our health system will become stocked with necessary supplies and I don't think they will be without them in the future.

Finally, I think people will be more willing to stay home when they are sick and employers will be more willing to let them. Teachers are one of those groups who need to allow themselves to take their sick days.

So, what do you think? Is there hope?

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Hope
Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope we don't have this again. I hope they can develop some sort of vaccine or cure. Long ago, there were other illnesses that were very contagious and required quarentine, too, but there are now vaccines for them. I hopeful that will be the case.

I know masks protect us, but I really hope that will not be the case. I personally can't stand wearing a mask. It makes it hard for me to breath, especially with the fact that I am a mouth breather.

As far as immunity, I heard on the news that people who get this year, have probably built up immunity where they won't get it this year, but the doctor interviewed said that might not be the case in the fall because the virus could mutate itself and then they wouldn't have the immunity.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I refuse to give up hope. I have faith in our scientists/medical experts that a vaccine will be created, just as they did for polio, etc.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-01-2020, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am certainly no expert. However, I feel like we would be much more prepared for a second wave, right? Thousands of ventilators are being manufactured right now. By next winter, theoretically there should be enough. One would think the same could be said for protective equipment, ICU beds, etc. One would hope we can also get enough tests and isolate people who get sick immediately, like other countries who have been much more successful did.

My understanding is that right now we have to shelter in place to "flatten the curve" so that our hospitals aren't overwhelmed and there are enough ventilators and supplies for people who need them. No one is expecting the virus to completely go away- we just need to get past the peak so that not everyone gets it at once.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-02-2020, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I’m on the same page as everybody here- I would hope/think that come Fall/Winter our healthcare systems will be in much better shape.

Also, based on a lot of reading I have done some people with develop immunity AND most likely if the virus does circulate again it will not be “as strong” and would not have the same deadly effects (hopefully). Everybody is saying it will be something that is just “in rotation” similar to the flu and the common cold.

I think the biggest issue is that in other countries most citizens listen to what leaders tell them to do... not the case here. Many people seem to see what government (local and national) says as a suggestion. I have seen many people saying that none of these stay at home orders are legal as the violate constitutional rights and read just yesterday a lawyer saying if you’re fined for violating the order you would win a court case

As far as a vaccine and herd immunity... it’ll happen, the problem is it may be a long way off.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Vaccine & Timeline
Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I fear this could be a long drawn out process. Yes a vaccine for polio was created but it didn't happen overnight. Also, from what I read with that vaccine the way they tested it initially wouldn't follow ethical practices right now. Like I think they paid poor people to allow them to vaccinate their child. I think the vaccine may have killed people early on. Experts are saying even if the vaccine they are testing now (I heard they're testing one) appears safe that it will take 12-18 months to get it released to the general public.

As someone else said I heard that they have no proof that once you get it that you can't get it again or pass it on to others. I've had strep several times in my life but I still seem to get it every few winters. Strep only doesn't kill as many people now because we have antibiotics for it but Scarlet Fever was a big deal for a long time. I am trying to be hopeful but unless we find a miracle drug I just don't see how this isn't going to still be an issue in a year. It is possible that it will be safe enough for many people to return to daily life but it's possible it will pop back up.

When Europeans came to North America tons of the Native people who were in North America died simply because the Europeans brought with them new illnesses they had never been exposed to before. Many people do just fine with the flu even if they don't get a flu shot because their body has been exposed to it since they were little and their parents' bodies were exposed to it, and their grand parents' bodies, and so on. Unfortunately we don't develop immunity overnight.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Once you get Strep you are more likely to get it, Strep lives in the back of your throat.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote