BusyBoard

Teaching clothes

>

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Teaching clothes
Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another thread got me thinking. How many clothes do you have for teaching? About what size are you?

I'm about yay tall and this wide. Sorry. I'm about 5'2 and a size six, but it's all the lower half. A pear shape. I don't wear heels and don't like high necked things. Such as turtle necks.

I, through decades of teaching, have
1 colorful formal dress
1 black formal dress
1 black full suit with skirt option
1 navy full suit with skirt option
1 pinstripe full suit with skirt option
1 tweed full suit with skirt option
6 black blazers
2 brown blazers
1 purple blazer
1 black cardigan for cold weather
1 beige cardigan for cold weather
1 pink cardigan for cold weather
1 embellished cardigan I love, but don't wear as much because I want because I'm afraid of ruining it.
20 shell type shirts in various colors
10 black dress pants
1 green pair of dress pants
3 navy dress pants
5 beige/khaki/light dress pants
2 gray dress pants
10 pairs of patterned dress pants (mostly pinstriped)
1 black hounds tooth pattern pants
1 brown hounds tooth pattern pants
30 patterned blouses without buttons
10 button up blouses in various colors/patterns.
5 long black skirts
20 sweaters

Shoes:
10 black flats
1 pair of brown flats
1 pair of green flats
3 "nude" flats
1 gold pair of flats
1 silver pair of flats
5 pairs of patterns/more than one color flats

Lillybabe

Wow!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, it is impressive you went and counted all of that. I've only been teaching about 9 years depending if you count substitute teaching. I do not have nearly the options. My current school has no teacher dress code so I've been wearing jeans way more than I am used to. I have about 4-5 pairs of black slacks but I only like 2 pairs. The others are either not the right size or are looking more worn than I like. I only wear my tennis shoes to work. I have maybe about a dozen short sleeve tops and a dozen long sleeve tops and a handful of sweaters for layering over short sleeve tops. Personally, I do not think I have enough but I can't see owning as much as you too. I tend to wear clothing until it wears out. I am from a large family so I am used to not having a lot of clothing at any one time.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We've been allowed to wear jeans every day for years, so this is the first year in a long time that I've had to really have specific "teaching clothes." This summer I bought 4 pairs of cropped/ankle pants- black, gray, khaki, and white (we can still wear jeans on Friday) and about 7-8 nice tops that I rotate through wearing them with.

It's still warm enough here for summer clothes, but according to the weather forecast it's suddenly going to be very chilly next week (as in, going from highs in the 80s to highs in the 40s). I just bought 2 dresses online that I'm hoping will work with leggings and I'll have to look into getting new pants and tops .

This did remind me of when I was a ST and I was so poor that all I had was one pair of khaki pants and one black skirt along with a few tops I already owned. I alternated wearing the pants and skirt every other day. I was always embarrassed about that. I wonder how many other people even noticed. I honestly wouldn't notice that about my coworkers.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only teach half time (job share), and pretty much wear the same thing every day. Black pants, a school tee, and some kind of jacket on top. Sometimes I mix it up but not often. I teach kinder so I'm on the floor all the time, or dealing with paint, glue, etc. I need to be comfortable and in clothes that can be easily washed. I'm also not much of a clothes person - I'd be more than happy in a school where I had to wear a uniform!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Clothes
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have several long comfy dresses with a few boleros, khakis, black pants, several patterned pants, turquoise capris, peach capris, pink pants (jeans material), jeans for Fridays, lots of tops to mix and match, camis in several colors, silver strappy flat sandals, brown sandals, black sandals, high black boots, low black booties, high brown boots, low brown booties, cream booties, black flats, denim flats, several pattern flats, a ton of sweaters that I never wear anymore due to hot flashes.

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No way I’m counting all my stuff.

I love clothes. I have very few things I can’t wear to work if needed.

Let’s just say I own over 100 pairs of shoes, and last time I cleaned out sweaters I kept 30 cardigans.

I don’t own any khaki pants or anything with a high neckline. I also don’t own a collared shirt, button down shirt, or skirt/dress longer than knee length. I may own 3 long-sleeved shirts.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 10-02-2018, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iíve been teaching 20 years, but have recently lost 85 pounds, so Iím slowly replacing clothes.

I have probably

1 pair cropped/ankle length black, pink, red, khaki, olive green pants
1 pair straight legged black and gray pants
1 maxi black and wine colored dress
1 short green dress
10 patterned sleeveless shirts (I wear under cardigans and jackets)
Several patterned blouses
A ton of colored cardigans of all lengths
1 blue denim,1 white denim, and 1 pink denim jacket
Flats in red, black, and pink
Wedges in nude and black
Ankle boots in brown and black
Tall boots in black
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have about 10 dress shirts, 12 vests, 4 pairs of dress pants, and about 30 ties to choose from

All my pants and vests are a shade of black or Navy Blue
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 10-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Teacher_twins, you have a lot of ties.

Ideabaker

Old 10-07-2018, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow, you have a comprehensive list of all of your teaching clothes? Well done!

I think the teaching wardrobe needs to fit what you teach, as well as your teaching and personal style. I'm in a self-contained, multi-age classroom where I teach all subjects including PE and Art. I often find myself on my knees or sitting cross legged on the floor with students (we do mindfulness meditation at our school, schoolwide).

I wear a "uniform"... all of my pants are either black or white leggings, or black yoga pants.

My tops are all either plain (one colour) Tees, or a fitted pullover sweater (NOT turtlenecks... like you, I don't like high necked clothing).

Then, over the base of pants/top, I throw on one of my many tunics. They are all multicoloured and hit about mid-thigh level. They look cute with boots or flats, and are dressy looking enough to wear to meet parents. They are also comfy enough to flop onto the floor with the kids when I need to.

All of my shoes/boots/etc. are black...probably a holdover from years of living in New York (don't live there now).

Getting dressed in the morning is a breeze; grab pants, a tunic, and a top that goes with the tunic. Nothing I wear requires ironing.

I do have a couple of dresses to wear on Picture Day as well as on special occasions.

Ideabaker is offline   Reply With Quote