Substitute Teachers

Calling home

>

subbie

subbie

Calling home
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed for a special ed class on Thursday that was more behavioral challenged than mentally challenged. They had a system of two strikes and they get punished. One of them got all these strikes. The speech teacher came in and told me I had to call the parent. She sat there and made me do it from the school phone and showed me how to make an outside call. I felt really weird doing that. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

WincSub

Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yea, as a sub I don't even get the parent numbers. Even so, there is no way I'd be calling home if I'm not there long term. :/
WincSub is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have told the speech teacher to call home if she was the one who had the behavior problems with the student.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

The Speech Teacher
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

should have called home since it was her giving the strike. It is one of those she said, he said things. How are you suppose to answer questions if you were not there. Also - I think the teacher should give some slack to the student. Most of those students have major issues with change and if there teacher is not there - there is a great chance that the student will more than likely act up.

I have no problem calling home and I will let students know that - but in this case it should have been you and it almost seems like bullying making you do it in front of her.

One thing that comes to mind is that she might want to show the parents that other teachers have issues with this student. So it could be you just getting stuck in the middle. I think next time I would let them know that you do not feel comfortable calling the parent because it was not your issue with the student. I also would probably ask the principal about calling a parent especially if you do not know the school very well.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's really inappropriate of the speech teacher. As a sub, it's not your responsibility to make phone calls home, it's the regular teacher's. I've been a full time teacher and a sub, and if I were the regular teacher I would never expect a sub to have to call home. The regular teacher knows the students' histories better and possibly the parents too. A sub has that day's experience to go from. If a student is causing that much trouble, the principal should be handling the discipline in the teacher's place. I do find the whole thing really odd!

Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
subbie

subbie

Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The issue was the students were misbehaving. They had an aide. I spoke to the aide and the aide said they don't act that bad for the regular teacher. The aide said to give them strikes. When I give the student two strikes, she said it was fine and Mrs so and so would see it tomorrow and deal with it. Then, the speech teacher came and asked rudely why the student had two strikes and everyone else had two. I told her why. She said well then demote them to one and them to none. I asked why and she made up an excuse. I said that the aide agrees and she said Mrs so and so would want to see that they got two strikes. She said well, then if you don't then you have to call home. I said Mrs so and so can't? She said I had to. So, I demoted them even thought I didn't want to. They acted up again during her speech and I left them at 0 and 1. Then, when she left I moved them back. The one student went kept acting bad and got three. During lunch, I left to eat and she went into the room without asking. Then asked if I called the parents because of the student. I said I don't know where the phone numbers are and she made me call up. She really made me miserable.

momandsub

I would not...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have done it. I would have made sure the regular teacher knew about the situation and left the calling up to her. If the student had the problem with the speech teacher, it is her responsibility to call the parent. As a sub we don't have enough background on a child to be put in a position to make that kind of a phone call.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Southern Sub

Old 09-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, it seems very odd. I would never call the student's home. I would leave a note for the teacher and tell them what the speech teacher requested me to do. Maybe the teacher should talk to the speech teacher. Not knowing the student or the parent, it's not our place to phone home.
SS
Southern Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Woolie

Woolie

Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This happened to me at a middle school once. The VICE PRINCIPAL told me that I had to contact the parents of two students that I wrote up for poor behavior. The only thing I could imagine was that it was a way to prevent subs from writing kids up. I had been at the school many times before, and this was the only time I ever chose to write students up because the behavior was EXTREME. I did it, the parents, thankfully, were gracious, and I really thought twice about going back to that school. I really think about what assignments to take because I don't want to have that on my plate. Our VP makes about 15 times a year what I make as a sub. I don't resent that, but I do think that she holds greater responsibility in certain areas than I do.

subczy

next time
Old 09-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Next time don't do it. It is not appropriate for a short term sub. The speech teacher could have done it or the regular teacher could have done it the next day.

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That doesn't sound right to me either, but It wouldn't have been a big deal to me. I simply would have told the parent that I was the Sub for the day, and that I had to write up the student. And that I was calling because the speech teacher asked me to call, because of their two strike rule. If the parent would have had more questions I would have simply said "If you have more questions the speech teacher can give you more info", and I would have then handed the phone to the speech teacher. I would have put her right on the spot the same as she did you, if the speech teacher didn't like you putting her on the phone then too bad, she shouldn't have asked you to call.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

Not from my experience...
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have made many calls to parents/family as a sub. I always document the call in my notes to the teacher as well as to the office.
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

John

Suspended
Probably the speech teacher should've done it
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...but I disagree with the perceptions posted here that it is inappropriate for a sub to call home. I will also tell you from experience over many years when I had access to phone numbers (and then the schools had to do the idiot thing and go to a computer-based attendance system, inadvertently denying subs access to home numbers) that the parents ALWAYS appreciated my calling. Why? Well, it would be nice if the REGULAR teachers called once in a while! As I was the only one they got a call from all year, of course they appreciated it!

So the impression that a sub should not call because it is the duty of the regular teacher or they are interfering with the parent-teacher relationship is just that, an impression. At least in high schools, most teachers fail in this duty and there is no parent-teacher relationship, so you aren't interfering with anything. You're simply doing the job the regular teacher doesn't want to do.

Also, there is the impression that because you are a single day sub, you don't have the relationship history with the student to warrant a call home. This doesn't take into account certain teachers like myself who have subbed for years and developed histories with some students. Some I have known for years and most definitely could give calls home about, for good or bad behavior.

Also, calling home gives you discipline power over the students. They don't care about detention in school. They laugh it off. However, although many will say they don't care about at home discipline either, they usually do inside. My most dramatic occasion came when I phoned a parent during a class, and the parent came right over because it was his lunch break. He chewed out his son for 20 minutes outside right within earshot of all of us. One other student did his work while begging me not to call home because his dad was in the hospital. This second kid wasn't even doing anything particularly wrong, he just didn't want a call home. I admit I was a bit shocked by the father coming and doing what he did, but it showed the effectiveness of calling home. I will tell you I had no more probelms with that class!

It perhaps would be a true perception that subs should not call home if more regular teachers did (note I am speaking of the middle and high school levels, which is my experience. Elementary schools, where teachers have one class of kids the whole day, may give more time for the teachers to do this). But since they aren't, what the hey?
John is offline   Reply With Quote