Help

Substitute Teachers

Multiple Day Sub Assignments

>

ParaSubCT

Multiple Day Sub Assignments
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello...i started subbing four weeks ago and i am enjoying it, i love the hours, the kids (the little ones K-1st especially) and that its also helping me pay my bills

Its been the last two weeks that i have accepted multiple day assignments, usually 2 days, same person, same school.

Now this week i took a 3 day job....Resource Room Para, Elementary School, Multiple Classrooms, etc.

Today was the first day and i am already totally exhausted!!!!

Every 20-30 minutes i was in a different classroom (1st thru 5th grades). I am starting to like 1 day assignments better..they just seem easier

Does anyone else have a preference, if so.....why?

ParaSubCT is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

I'll take what I can get...
Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but sometimes having a multiple day job gives me a chance to hit the ground running the second day, as I have figured out most of the little procedures in the class. Something over 1 week usually means I am doing the lesson planning, though.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

ParaSubCT

True......
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I definitley know where to go tomorrow and it does make the day go by quicker..all that moving around..plus i have the ''learning centers'' rotation down for the first grade classes for the next 2 days.

I just couldn't believe how tired i was at 3:30 when i got home..i actually took a nap as soon as i came through the door, i have never done that before

broomrider

multi day job
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

going on now. Tomorrow is my fifth and last day. I've been able to look at lesson plans for the next day and set up materials, bring in some supplements. It feels good not to be winging every minute, but to have had some advance notice to think about what and how to present the materials.
I think the students feel more secure when I can tell them "Ill see you tomorrow."

It is very tiring, however. I usually work fewer days a week by choice.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I much rather prefer the multi-day assignments as I can prepare for tomorrow today. I typically arrive :15 minutes early to give myself more time to prepare.

broad

long term sub
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in my fourth week of a 6 week maternity leave sub job in 1st Grade.

I am loving it because it's the school from where I retired and I know the place and the people. I can enjoy teaching because I don't have all the other "stuff" to worry about. I am especially thinking of meetings, evaluations, etc.

I am doing extras like lesson planning, copying, etc. but it's worth it. I do have a good class of 17 and I enjoy seeing their progress in reading.

At the end of my assignment, I leave for a trip to London, Barcelona and France, then cruising back to Miami. I will be able to rest then and be ready for my next job.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote

VaBteach

Like multiple days
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have also worked the resource para position where you run from child to child in multiple grades. I like it best when I work a few days in a row so that you get to know the kids. Also like working in a school for a few days so you actually can find the cafeteria, rest rooms, library etc. with ease! I too am tired after working that schedule though, especially if they send you to P.E more than once with a child that needs monitoring for various behaviors. You do get a work out!
VaBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ParaSubCT

Well, Tomorrow....
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Is my last day with this assignment..today was a much easer day and i am sure tomorrow, the last day, will be even easier. I am taking Thursday off and working in Kindergarten, half day on Friday

I have to say, for as tired as i have been these past two days i did work with some very lovely children. I also reconnected with subs and paras i had worked with yeeeeears ago..its such a small world, some were from other schools in town, so that was nice as well.

Monday is Columbus Day so i am looking forward to the long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!