Help

Red Clover Room

Help Getting Started

>

bison06

Help Getting Started
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My husband and I need to get into shape. I could lose 10 - 15 pounds, but my husband is obese (BMI) and needs to lose weight.

Getting started working out is do-able. But I don't know what to do about food. My husband is a full time college student and works (volunteers) with an after school program three days a week. He is home all day and eats whatever he wants. I know we should probably just get rid of all the "bad" food and only buy "good" stuff, but when we've tried that before we just end up going to drive-thrus more. Another problem with what we eat - I am the only one working right now - and a second year teacher doesn't make too much. We end up buying food that is not good for us - because we can afford it and it is easy.

Does anyone have any ideas or cheap and healthy recipes?

TIA

lenabelle

Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats for wanting to get in shape! My only word of caution is this: if your husband doesn't want to do this for himself, it's not going to work. If he's on board with the idea, awesome!

Cheap/healthy recipes: Whole grain pasta is pretty cheap - usually around $1/box. Combine that with a good spaghetti sauce for some veggies, and you've got a meal for around $2-$3. A glass of milk, low-fat cheese, chicken, or turkey would give some filling protein. I've been looking at what I used to eat, and how I can modify that to make it better for me. Instead of ground beef, I use ground turkey. Portion control is a big one as well. I'm cutting out fats like butter - little changes like that can make a big difference.

Lately, I've been loving Egg Beaters and whole grain toast for dinner. Veggies like carrots, broccoli, and such aren't too pricey usually. Watch sales, clip coupons, and really read labels before you buy. Like you, I'm on a budget and have to be careful with what I buy, so I've turned into a label hawk. I don't keep "bad" foods in my house - although the one exception to that is whole grain macaroni and cheese, made using the "light prep" method. I mix in some albacore tuna for protein - adds a little more actual nutrition to the meal.

For snacks, I have a big bag of plain animal crackers from Walmart - I think the brand is Stauffers. For 16 crackers, it's 120 calories.

It may be cheaper to buy in bulk and freeze items - especially meats. That's what eats the biggest part of my budget, as I rely on chicken breasts and ground turkey for that part of my diet.

I'm hoping that some of this made sense...it's been a long day. In general, I tend to go by Bob Harper's philosophy - if there's not a lot of food in the house, there's not much to eat. So far, it's working! I need to get better at planning healthy meals though. Looking forward to reading other responses with more food ideas!

bison06

Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks...my dh is on board when it is easy....if that makes sense. he knows he needs to eat better and change some stuff but he doesn't like being hungry. so if he's hungry he's going to eat something that is available....or drive to braum's for ice cream.

i love the animal cracker idea. thanks for you ideas

lenabelle

Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally get the "easy" part! What about getting some low fat/cal snacks and then putting them into single serving bags/containers right away? That way, when he's sniffing out a snack or something to eat, he just has to grab it? I've heard of that working for a lot of people. For myself, I'm able to just count out the single serving when I want it.

ComeInCorrect

Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Definitely prepare meals for the week in advance, usually on a sunday so that you dont stray away from the overall plan of living a healthier lifestyle and losing weight. I would calculate your bmr first to see how many calories you should be taking in and then subtract 500 from there and that is what you should be eating. Eating a lot of protein, more than carbs, is best.....egg whites, chicken, tuna, lean meat, fish etc....
If you need any more advice, let me know.