Help

Substitute Teachers

Greatful to be able to Sub

>

Sub14

Greatful to be able to Sub
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I understand that some people are burnt out from subbing, and feel negatively about it, but I personally am greatful to be able to make twice the minimum wage, affect the future of kids, and be able to work 5 minutes from my home, while having the flexibility to work my schedule around it. This doesn't mean I don't get frustrated sometimes dealing with the kids, but I do keep things in perspective. Though I have a BAS Technology degree I know from applying for other jobs that I'd be hard pressed to get another job paying $14 an hour right now in this type of economy. I applied for many jobs over the summer for summer work, and out of all the resumes I sent out I only got one interview at macy's. They told me my availability wasn't good enough for what they were seeking so I didn't get the job. I was only able to get a temporary 3 day job over the entire summer, thank God I have savings. I'm sure most of the jobs I applied for weren't paying much more than minimum wage, amazing how even low paying jobs have become extra picky about who they will hire. Mind you I got a seasonal job at Hudson's, for pretty much the same position, almost 30 years ago as a teen, with only a high school diploma. But now with a BA degree I can't even get a retail job, lol.

I also do other things on the side to make money like selling items online, surveys, etc. plus I have some savings, so I don't fully depend on subbing but it is where most of my income comes from right now. I'm single with a daughter in her early 20s whom still lives with me and I still support her cause she makes very little money. So I can only count on me to keep the bills paid, and I have worked much harder for similar and much less money in the past. If I ever come to the point where I absolutely hate subbing then I will know I need to get out of it completely cause it really wouldn't be fair to the kids for me to bring that negativity to them, they can pick up on that. Kids need Teachers and Subs who want to be there to guide and teach them, and who really have their best interest at heart.

If you are a sub I say count your blessings to even be working right now making over minimum wage, things could be so much worse.

Oh yeah, and the title should read grateful, not greatful

Last edited by Sub14; 09-15-2012 at 08:16 AM..
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

SubMan

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I felt the same way. Sub pay where I am is about $10.00/hour and hasn't gone up in 10 years. Gas is more than twice what it was when I subbed last. With a masters degree and additional credits I haven't been able to locate a teaching job that pays me enough to repay my student loans - perhaps degrees should come with money back guarantees.

Thousands of other teachers are in the same position that I am in. Recently a district I sub in rolled back a $5.00/day increase.

While I admire your positive attitude I am tired - tired of working hard and having hardly anything to show for it. Tired of a year's worth of hard work judged solely on one high-stakes test. If politicians want to base my pay on my effectiveness as judged by a single test then their pay should be based on the economy and jobs created.

Mercury

Grateful
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I am grateful to have work that I like and enjoy. I am especially grateful for subbing because without it I would never have thought of education as a field for me. I initially started subbing in order to have the flexibility to look for other jobs, but then I fell in love with teaching. Now I'm pursuing a Master's in education with certification. My goal is to become a middle school math teacher.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am grateful also. I have been subbing since 2006. I had my own class for a year but with downsizing I lost it. I usually teach Summer School which helps but come Sept. I am out of money! It is hard when I have no job in August. This summer I worked at the State Fair in August for 11 days. That helped some. I was the oldest worker at my gate though! I am 50 and most of the workers were high school or college age! But I got to know some great kids! It is very difficult to make ends met as a single adult. I have no savings account and it is difficult to make my school loan payments. I live simply but I just don't make enough.(I don't even own a car) I continue to look for a job to go with subbing. I am weary and tired also, but I am still grateful I have my teaching license and can sub and receive more than minimum wage. Here in Minnesota I receive $110 to $120 a day depending on the district. I think what is hard is when I am sick or no jobs show up or there is no school I do not get paid.
But I know I am not the only one in my situation and at least I will always have the ability to sub.
Lynette12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Vlad

Old 09-15-2012, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am really grateful for my job, too. It is something I love doing, even on days when the kids aren't being very co-operative, and I get very few of those actually.

In Canada, teachers get paid quite well, and subs also... we don't get paid half of what a full-time teacher makes but still get paid well... and we shouldn't get paid as much as a regular teacher since we get to go home after work and relax and most of them don't. I have lived off subbing only for the last 2 years now, and as long as the jobs keep coming regularly (as I hope they will, like the last 2 years) I intend to keep doing just that.

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 09-15-2012, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

SubMan have you considered starting your own tutoring business? Or maybe teaching online, teaching continuing education in colleges, community centers, etc. in addition to subbing? Maybe you could even start a income generating blog about education, do some consulting, etc. Seems you woud have more options being that you are a certified teacher. Also, I'm curious what you would do if for some reason you were told that you could no longer be a substitute teacher, what would be your back up plan? And do you think being told you could no longer sub would make you better appreciate having the option to do so? I think looking at it from that point of view may help you be able to better appreciate it. There are so many people out here losing their jobs, homes, cars, with no education to fall back on, they couldn't sub even if they wanted too. Then there are the ones who do have education but don't realize that subbing is an option for them. Many people would be happy to even get a job at Mcdonalds, but they can't even get that.

I'm always doing at least 3 things to bring in income, it's best not to just rely on one. Sometimes you gotta think outside of the box, your education counts for something, you should be able to find creative ways to supplement your sub income.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

VaBteach

Love subbing
Old 09-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For the most part I love being a sub. I live in a big district and am limiting myself to elementary schools only, but if I included upper grades I could work daily. Seeing the children after the summer was fun,to the lower grades you are another teacher that they feel they know if they have had you before. I have a teaching certificate and hope to get a full time job but if not, maybe this is the way to go. None of the headaches and alot of the rewards. I am retired from another job as well.
VaBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I feel like SubMan does. I'm in my late 20s and have been trying since graduating college to land a contracted job. I'm frustrated and want to get my career and life going. My husband has a job that pays less than a first year teacher salary, but has benefits thankfully. We can't afford to buy a house and are stuck renting a little place. I've had a couple year-long LTS jobs and several other shorter ones, with stellar evaluations, but thanks to the economy and bad luck, I'm stuck subbing yet again. It's the back and forth that gets me down. I should be able to say I have 6 years of teaching experience, but I only technically can say I have 3 since no one counts day-to-day subbing. I also have a coaching job in the evenings and during the summer, so that's supplemental income and my only steady gig throughout all this time.

Yes, I am grateful that I can keep working in schools and stay somewhat fresh in my teaching skills, and also get exposure in schools I'd like to work in. I stick to mainly elementary, and some middle school, so I can actually teach. I am grateful I have a job, as much as I dislike it. I realize I could try to get a job working retail or some other place, which I would rather not do because I love teaching. Most districts around me pay $100 per day, so it's definitely better than minimum wage, and I do like the flexibility. However, it's gotten old and I feel like I didn't bust my rear in college for this- being underemployed and in a dead-end job that gets little to no respect. Yet, as much as they like me in the schools, that's the problem- they like me too much as a sub... which is why I've been trying to get an instructional aide type job instead to get a foot in the door.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Grateful
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would be grateful too if the pay was double minimum wage. Most districts pay federal minimum wage which is 7.25 an hour. Yes that is with a teaching license!

ParaSubCT

So Thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am very thankful to be able to work as a Para Sub.

I make $10.95 an hour for a 6.5 hour day (retirement plan included) and its actually keepimg me afloat in these tough times

ParaSubCT is offline   Reply With Quote

pkennedy1990

Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not only am I grateful to be able to sub, to have managed to avoid getting any criminal convictions for self-defense against domestic violence that would have cost me my ability to get and keep teacher licenses in any state, but grateful that one of the school districts that had hired me back in 2002 before the economy tanked, put me "back" on the sub list. I'm grateful that there are ANY districts left that take "just anybody" with at least a Bachelor's degree; and yeah, I know that law school was a waste of time because the legal profession is all about backstabbing racist "cliques" and all that rubbish. I'm grateful that with all my "excess" education I have anything at all. I know a lot of more-recent Yale and Princeton graduates are finding nothing whatsoever and are either stocking shelves at Wal-Mart (if they pass the credit check) or working at Taco-Bell (if they "know someone") or are winding up back home with Mommy and Daddy if they're still alive and will take them back. I don't have living relatives that will do anything but slam the door in my face if I show up on their doorstep or will let me in but get abusive and smack me around for no reason -- so hell yeah I'm grateful that I can fall back on subbing....to stay away from my family and eke my way out of the battered womens' shelters. For how long, I don't know. I have to wear myself out commuting ridiculous distances to do it, and put up with more crappy treatment from the students and sometimes other teachers, than ever before in my off-and-on-since-1998 years of subbing, but yes, at least I still have THIS. In this economy it would take nothing short of a miracle to land anything other than subbing only in the districts that are the most "desperate" for Math teachers. Yes this job may KILL me. But it's all I can GET.

Yes and this is WITH a Math teaching license.
pkennedy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote