Help

Substitute Teachers

TA who won't shut up...

>

momandsub

TA who won't shut up...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of my elementary schools has hired a new TA. She works 3 hours a day. I have had her in my classes on 3 separate occasions and she will not stop interjecting comments or helpful suggestions whIle I am teaching. I think today she finally got the message, she asked if she could demonstrate a definition I was working on with the class, I responded affirmatively with so much sarcasm she had to get the hint. Hope she gets it, she would never think of interupting the regular teacher, so why me?

momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

maybe she team teaches?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had some great assistants who I considered co-teachers, and we worked well together. If they had a way to add something to a lesson, that would be helpful to the class, I didn't mind at all. In fact, I welcomed it. The insight of another adult can add a whole new dimension to a lesson. Maybe that's the relationship she is used to.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Whenever I'm "assisting", which means I am working with a student teacher, so just basically there to lend a helping hand and be the certified teacher in the room, I make OCCASIONAL comments. I'm very aware that I should not make too many, because I don't want to annoy the person teaching. I know this, because it has happened to me. Some comments are okay, but not constant interjections and interruptions.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

team teach
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, this sounds like someone who may be in team teaching mode. I think it could certainly throw off a sub especially w/o any warning. I have given input to a teachers lessons but wait until after and ask first, but I am not a regular employee. Never know she could have had notes or known something about a student that led her to think that demonstration would be very valuable.

hope it wasn't too bad.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

jen1114

probably used to team teaching
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the others. The TA is probably used to team teaching. I've been a para for the last year and have always been encouraged by the classroom teacher to speak up if I have an idea or can add something to the lesson. Were her comments helpful? Did the add to the lesson?

jen1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have worked at this school for the past five years and the TA's are not utilized as team teachers. They are to do clerical type duties and monitor students who need extra help. I have worked with many TA's at this school and no one else does this. I found out today she is also driving some of the regular teachers batty also. They way she interjects just ruins your train of thought. I hope one of the regular teachers is able to talk to her. As a sub, it is not my place.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote