Help

Substitute Teachers

It's starting...

>

Sublime

It's starting...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Letter in the mail yesterday to all subs in my district: If, when you get to your job in the morning, you are not needed, or you were put into Aesop by accident, or the job was not cancelled, you will not be getting that half day of pay. They have reduced it to two hours because of budget constraints. I'm waiting to get told that we will be paid by the hour or that our pay will be cut. I sense a little bit of doom.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Sub
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not a sun anymore, but I found out that the district I don't work for does not pay their subs at all if they show up and they aren't needed or a mistake was made. Having been a sub, I think that's not cool at all.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a sub job that started at 8:15 one morning, I was walking across the school parking lot at 8:05 when was called and told I was not needed that day. Not cool, but I did use my time wisely that day and snagged a few more days later in the month.

LynneLC

Ugh
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's very frustrating. This situation just happened to me this past week -- some type of glitch in the system where it created 8 or 9 jobs that weren't needed. I had to wait at home to find out the status (I thought we'd be called to help out at that school or another one, but we weren't). Found out we will be paid for half a day.

Gotta love the "budget constraints." How about our budget constraints? The loss of pay will, in general, have a much bigger impact on our personal budget than on the whole board of education budget.
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If we arrive and are not needed, or an error was made we are not paid. I pulled in to a school parking lot, only to have my phone ring with the job cancellation. To bad, so sad that is what I got from the folks at the office.

momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

newsubLisa

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That really sucks! If it was me, and I had the option of working for other districts, I would NOT be subbing for that district any more. When I've been called in by mistake, the schools were always willing to put me to work doing other tasks - but I know some subs don't like that. I figure it's their dollar, I'll do whatever they need (within reason!) and if I'm doing office work I don't need to deal with students and attendance!
newsubLisa is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

No pay
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We don't get paid - but the sub office will try really hard to find you something else. I have actually been lucky and only had a full day go to half. I was annoyed because I think they did that on purpose because it is a hard school to get subs to go to and it was only for half a day. Luckily I did get another half day and was able to make it there because I didn't have a class until well after one.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

LynneLC

More thoughts...
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it is ridiculous for a school to make a mistake and then just send you away with no pay. When my daughter was taking driving lessons, we once had to cancel with 5 1/2 days' notice because she ended up qualifying for the State competition in track. We were still charged $50 due to the teacher having committed to the time. This was with 5 1/2 days' notice. If we had canceled the same day, we would have had to pay $100, the full amount. Yet some of these schools have no qualms about depriving a person of a day's pay due to a mistake they made...

I wonder what the Department of Labor would have to say about it. Also, would Superintendents think this is fair? I suppose some would... I worked in Human Resources for a number of years, and we always tried to treat employees fairly. Having someone show up for work in good faith, and to turn them away with no pay is not treating people fairly.
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

district cancellation
Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think I have mentioned this in the past but last year I drove 18 miles for a sub job and was told there was a mistake and my job should have been cancelled. I didn't complain at the time but about a week later I was speaking to the sub coordinator and mentioned it. She said she was aware and they tried to find another position for me but they didn't need anyone at the last minute. I ended up driving 36 miles and they didn't pay me anything. It was too late to look for another job that day.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
OGsubbie

OGsubbie

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've never had that happen to me. However, I've had something more annoying happen. In my district, they will post longterm assignments fully knowing there's a sub for it. One week long assignments come up ALL the time. What happens is you go there and they give you the whole sthick about how they'll let you work day because they're so generous, but they can't let you work the rest of the gig. They always put you in a class that's horrible that they can't get a sub for. They'll even tell you "As of today you're not attached to Mrs. Smith assignment, even if AESOP still says so. Don't come back tomorrow. We won't pay you". If you ask, because of how long it take and them not caring to fix it, how can you get a job for tomorrow with you still being attached to it on AESOP, they look at you like you're an alien. That's why I refuse to take longterm assignments.