Help

Substitute Teachers

Substitute advice: Please help

>

Missgolightly

Substitute advice: Please help
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted this in the job section but then realized it might be best placed here...
I have a unique situation that I would like to see if anyone else has experienced or can provide advice for me. I am currently working on obtaining my teaching certificate through an alternative teaching program here in Houston, Texas. I will take my first exams on August 29th and will then be able to start looking for internship jobs. My fear is that with my testing coming at the end of August and school started, I will not be able to find a position. I am currently considering options to help my resume while I apply for internships. I would really love to substitute however, I am concerned that leaving my current job to sub will also leave me without enough money to pay my bills. Has anyone been in this situation and how did you handle it? Any advice? Also, if anyone subs in the Houston and surrounding areas how does it work? Would it be possible for me to only sub on certain days? For example, would I be able to look and see the opportunities for subbing on a website in advance and be able to schedule a day off of work to sub?

Thank you for any and all advice..sorry for the long post.

Missgolightly is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Only on certian days
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"...Would it be possible for me to only sub on certain days?"

Yes, You can arrange with the sub coordinator or online system (if they use one) which days of the week you are available, blocks of days (on vacation for a couple weeks) when you are not available.

Substitute teaching is day labor when you are available and when they have a need. Just be aware that the more restricted your availability, the lower your chances of working as a sub.

...Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

here...
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the sub jobs are on the computer and you can pick and choose what you want. Of course, we are short on subs so that makes a diff.

Also, here (SW KS) we are usually hiring teachers year around and I am sure there are other communities that do as well. If you are willing to relocate I am sure you can find a job.