Help

Substitute Teachers

What information...

>

FxyWhtCoco

What information...
Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you need to substitute a class? Imagine you have just arrived at your dream job and the classroom teacher has left you...
What would you need to be truly successful?

FxyWhtCoco is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep in mind I am 99% of the time I sub in grade school, so some might not apply to high school.

My first thought on a "must have" is the schedule. When do the kids go to specials, when do they go to lunch, ect.

I would NEED the lesson plans (what chapter are they on? what assignments are they working on?). Ever try guessing what the kids are doing for Social Studies? I have had to ask other teachers, or just GUESS and come up with something.

It would be nice to have the classroom list (names of the kids), but if that wasn't there, I would just use their desk tag or ask them.

It would be great to have the resources I need all in one place. I know that is asking a lot for some teachers, but whenever you ask the kids, "where are the calculators?", you get about 15 different answers, and they all start looking around the room. Having them in plain sight, not where I have to dig through a cabinet would be wonderful.

Otherwise, anything else I consider a bonus if the teacher has prepared it for me. Most will do copies for handouts (but I have had to make copies). And the classrooms I sub in, the teachers really go out of their way to prepare for a sub. I guess if they didn't I wouldn't be as willing to sub in their classroom (although we all know there are emergencies that come up).
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A seating chart, so I can use the kids names.

The teacher's editions laying on the desk with the right page open.

The answer sheet. I am reasonably intelligent, but haven't been working on the particular skill or material for the last week as the class has...

A schedule that lists times, not just first period, second period...

A list of two or three helpful students.

An optional extra activity for when the school cancels the assembly that was supposed to take 45 minutes.

On a fun note...one teacher I loved to sub for would tape two quarters to the lesson plan to buy myself a diet coke!
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

desk tags vs. seating plan
Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

While I love a seating plan, I much prefer desk tags.

That way I can call a student by name when they are acting up or if I notice a desk is empty I can ask if the child is absent, etc. It means I don't have to A) carry around the seating plan or B) run back to the teacher's desk every time I need to figure out who is who.

YAY for desk tags
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a regular teacher, I always leave:
*plans with TEs, answer keys, and copies of activities to be done
*daily schedule
*schedule of students going to speech, special ed, etc.
*who the students are that will need watching - low students, behavior problems, students with IEPs.
*the name of another teacher the sub can lean on
*where to find the restroom, copier, etc.
*what to do in case of emergency-fire drill, earthquake, out of control student. Where to line up for any drill
*Extra activities if they run out of something to do
*Main thing-my procedures. How I run my classroom, what is expected of the students. Students know the sub will have the procedures and are to accept how the sub runs things though it may not be exactly as I do.
*Behavior plan

I keep the majority of my information of this information either in a notebook or a folder labeled Substitue Plans. I try very hard to make it easy for the substitute to do their job.

Hope this helps.

HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Prairiegirl

Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

HBteach, can I sub for you?

I have had the pleasure of working for many teachers like you, but few leave adequate info for the students who may need extra help or may start winging chairs across the room. I understand the need for student privacy, but the kids have a better day if I at least have a hint of what is going on.
Prairiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote