Any Cobb County GA subs on board????????? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Any Cobb County GA subs on board?????????

>

Acworthbridge

Any Cobb County GA subs on board?????????
Old 11-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I sub in Cobb County GA and am curious if any other Cobb County subs read the board and if they are having as much trouble as me in lining up jobs. Rarely anything online at Sub-Finder site, or when I call in to the Sub-Finder line, and never get called from them anymore.

I work another job full time and usually on have one day a week available to sub. I've always been able to fill that available day with a sub job until this school year. Very confused about why it is so much harder this year.

Responses from anyone would be appreciated.

Acworthbridge is offline   Reply With Quote

GAPam

GAPam

Cobb co. sub
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in Cherokee County, GA and I think because of the economy, all the stay home moms are applying. I just went to a training at a school this morning, and the staff said they usually have a handful of subs to train. Today, there was easily 20. I think the competition is tight.
hope that helps
Pam

Acworthbridge

Thanks GAPam
Old 11-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it may be a combination of stay at home moms and people in general out of work and turning to subbing to make ends meet.
Montys_Mommy

Montys_Mommy

hiring freeze
Old 11-17-2008, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know right after I was approved in Cobb County (end of August), they enacted a hiring freeze for all substitute teachers. This freeze is still in effect. I am now looking to substitute on a regular basis and am disheartened to read that you are having no luck receiving work. I do know that area schools have preferred sub lists and if you get on those then the schools will call you directly first. Per a friend's suggestion, I printed up business cards at VistaPrint and took some to the school secretary and will pass some out to teachers that I know. I also intend on passing cards out to my friends with kids at different schools in my immediate area. Just a waiting game now...

Acworthbridge

Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Montys Mom

I got my cards at Vista Print also.

My problem is that I actually work full time at another job and usually have only one week day off per week and "which" week day that is varies from week to week.

Up until this year I've had no problem though. I would just spend the day before I would be off calling SubFinder off and on through out the day and always land a job.

This year that isn't happening. Some one told me that Cobb County has over 2000 subs.

I just want to keep my certification active until I retire from my full time job so I can sub a lot afterwards.

answer

answer

subfinder query
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Exactly the same dilemna for me except I used to be able to get 3-4 jobs a week and there has literally been nothing for two plus months!
What to do ?
teacher avail

teacher avail

non existent sub jobs
Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's mid-March and the problem of no sub jobs continues. Nothing listed on the Subfinder website. Subfinder calls rarely come in. When they do, they are not for traditional teaching jobs.

The business cards are a good idea, but Subfinder calling another applicant first has taken jobs away from me that schools have filled themselves!

Is the district aware of this ongoing problem?
MISSLAWA

MISSLAWA

certified teacher w/o job
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm currently substituting in Cobb County right now because after I graduated and earned my certification this past May there were no teaching jobs available. There was a Cobb County representative at one of our last meetings and she encouraged us all to sign up to sub and assured us that all certified teachers would get preferential treatment over non-certified substitutes. This could be what's happening, as I get several calls a week-- sometimes 3-4 a day. The plentiful calls could also be because I agreed to sub for special ed. and all the local middle schools. If you want to receive more calls, I definitely suggest agreeing to do special ed. and middle school! Good luck!!!
Name579

Name579

Subbing in Cobb County, GA
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Does anyone know of a way I can get certified to teach? I have a B.S. in psychology and graduated with honors four years ago. After graduation, I began subbing full-time in Iowa and worked there until I moved to Georgia last year. There is a HUGE shortage of subs in rural Midwest districts, btw. I was first on the list of subs they called (nobody uses Subfinder there) at three schools. I was even called ahead of the substitutes who were actually certified.

I think the way subs are treated in GA is just awful. I've literally had parents in the Cobb District tell me, to my face, that a day with a substitute is a wasted day; they don't expect their kids to learn anything. Many of the subs I've worked with here openly admit that they took the job because it's "basically baby-sitting". I disagree.

The pay here is very low (I make about 60% per day in Georgia what I made as a subsitute in Iowa), the taxes are high, the cost of living is comparatively high, traffic is awful, and crime, poverty, and racial discrimination are rampant here. I hate having to compete for jobs, but what's more disheartening is that I never get a chance to work in the same schools, to get to know the kids, to be treated as a legitimate staff member. The Subfinder system is not good for me as a teacher, and it's not good for my students. Wouldn't they be much better served by teachers who know their individual needs, their unique attributes? In Iowa, I not only regularly taught in a few middle schools, but when I was there, I had the opportunity to become truely involved. Substitutes were often required to attend daily team meetings and weekly inservices where we had the chance to learn about new instructional and classroom management techniques and were privy to other teachers' discussions about schoolwide issues and about their concerns regarding individual students. Being "in-the-know" greatly enhanced my effectiveness in the classroom.

Not only was I able to get to know the students and teachers at my school, but they also came to know me, and I felt my own unique skills were valued there. For example, I was invited to help with the TAG identification process because one of my administrators knew I had some experience in counseling adolescents. I have a gift for being able to establish rapport with my students and an interest in working with special populations, and the teachers thought I would be a good experience for me. In addition, I have a minor in statistics and have taken coursework in psychoeducational assessment that included test design and construction and interpretation of test results. Here in Cobb County, I'm lucky if my schools' administrators even bother to introducing themselves to me. Speaking of assessment, that's another thing I hate about Georgia: There is WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on testing. In Iowa, we give the ITBS in February every year (we use state, not national norms because Iowa's state norms are more stringent), a group cognitive abilities test (usually the Otis-Lennon) in second grade, and we offer the PSAT to juniors. That's pretty much it! Any additional assessment is usually done on a case-by-case basis.

I recently married a wonderful man who is a post-doc at Georgia Tech. When I first moved down here, I was so excited about having the opportunity to see first-hand how schools in a different part of the country worked. I'm not impressed. Actually, I haven't had the chance to learn much of anything new because I have such a difficult time finding jobs here, and I'm shocked at the fact that I'm expected to put up with blatant disrespect from certified teachers and paraprofessionals. (Of course some schools I've worked at are better than others.) Additionally, I can't believe how few resources are available to me as a sub here. Paras can get on the computers but I can't...... even when I need it because I'm introducing Excel to a group of 7th graders for the first time!!! I've worked with Elmos, the Proxima, and Smartboards. Half the time, I have no lesson plans or seating charts. Being able to access the Internet would allow me to look up interesting and relevant projects or sites that I could use to provide enrichment or to reinforce recently studied topics if I were in a real pinch, as happens far too often, for something to do.

So, now I don't know what to do. I'm miserable here, and I'm not making enough money to survive. Maybe if I could become certified, things would be better. I would love to make a real career out of teaching, but my degree is in a non-certifiable area. They tell me I could look at alternative certification in Social Studies with a psych degree, but that there is no demand for social studies teachers. Besides, I have about ten times as many credits in sciences as in history! I would be interested in teaching special ed, though, and I love middle school! I wouldn't want to work with the severely disabled kids; I'm better at working with mild cognitive disorders or learning disabilities. I've also worked in emotional / behavior disorder classrooms. It's a real challenge, to be sure, but it can also be very rewarding. Again, so very much depends on a teacher's ability to connect with students and to recognize their individual stregnths and weaknesses. I've been looking at certification routes for awhile now. Georgia's alternative certification program is extraordinarily convoluted. I've talked to five different people at the PSC and have gotten five different answers to the same questions. Nobody seems to understand the system. Sadly, I think I will probably end up leaving my husband and going back to the Midwest. I like the warm Georgia climate and being so close to the mountains, but my job here is so much less fulfilling. It's downright depressing.
msnik

msnik

To Name579
Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi. I completely agree with you about the lack of respect for subs among the teachers and staff in GA schools - specifically Cobb, where I've been subbing for the past couple weeks. You're right that it has a lot to do with the expectation that they'll never see us again. I think because teachers and staff think they will never have to see me again, they don't have to be friendly or even acknowledge that I exist.

I got my undergrad degree in theatre and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to be a teacher too, but like you said, it is so confusing to find certification routes. I ended up doing the online Master of Arts in Teaching at Liberty University. It took me a year and a half to finish, I only had to spend three weeks in Virginia (beautiful!) for "intensive classes," and it's actually a really good program. You can totally work full time while doing it.

Please don't leave your husband over a career! You mind end up hating teaching after a few years, but he loves you!

Stone64

Stone64

Just Certified
Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi, I loved your message. Since it was written two years ago, I'm unsure whether a reply is appropriate now, but here goes... My undergrad is in business and I have a masters in counseling. I wanted to teach, so I completed another masters in elementary education. There are several on line programs. I used Liberty University because they gave a substantial discount to veterans and their spouses (me). They are based in VA so I had to attend three intensive classes on campus. Each class was 1 week long. I met some wonderful people from all across the world. Now that I have my VA certification, I've asked GA to reciprocate. I plan to take GA subject tests in math, history and English so I can add high school certification to my credentials. It took me 1.5 years to complete the program, including a 4 month student teaching period at a local elementary school.

Regarding subs in GA, it is my understanding that certified teachers are the only ones subbing now because there is an abundance of them available. However, classroom teachers tend to leave generic plans for the subs because they don't expect them to be able to jump in and teach the material. For this reason, a day with a sub is often considered to be an unproductive day. I believe this may be changing since so many subs are now known to be able to teach the material.

I hope you've found happiness in GA or been able to move on to find it elsewhere! I'd love to hear an update!
Angry Sub

Angry Sub

Concerned with Subbing Also
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have to sub because I am a qualified teacher and cannot find a job. I have been with the Cobb County School District as a sub for many years now. I received a letter this year saying that due to the Affordable Health Care Act, subs could no longer work more than 30 hours a week. When I did research concerning the Affordable Health Care Act, I found out that there are NO rules pertaining to contract employees! There is no reason except for ridiculous budget reasons that we cannot work five days a week! They did not tell us the truth. As someone who does this full-time until one can find a teaching job, they just cut my pay another 69 dollars a week when I am already having problems making ends meet.

And do NOT get me started about why I cannot find a job! I have a master's in education. It has become very apparent that the reason I did not get ONE phone call from any of the schools I applied to is because they would have to pay me more with a master's degree. So, parents, instead of having some very good, passionate, loving teachers working with your students, they are worried so much about budgets that they'll hire anyone with a bachelor's in education over passionate teachers. Makes me feel good as a parent with students in the school district! </sarcasm> By the way, when I called the sub office to ask questions I had to leave a message to which no one called me back and I was hung up on twice. Good job, Cobb County School District!
tina333

tina333

Substitute in Georgia
Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hello 579,
I read your e-mail and thought maybe you need to be encouraged today. Keep the faith and keep moving forward. I am also a Substitute Teacher and work is slow, but you said in your e-mail that you married a wonderful man. Do not throw that away especially if you both love each other. Things will get better. Also if you haven't, try going to some of the churches that have child care and they may need teachers also. I hope you will find a job soon and stay with your husband. Maybe some of the people at your church could let you know if jobs are opening where they work. Have a super day. JESUS loves you!!