Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub assignment

>

breal91367

Sub assignment
Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I'm new here. I'm getting ready to start subbing in Los Angeles with LAUSD. I'm still going through the lengthy process.

That aside, I'm wondering how subs get assigned in the various districts (including LAUSD). Does someone call you in the morning? Is there a website you sit and refresh, refresh, refresh, snag!? Or, do you have to call into an automated system?

I haven't been a sub since the early 2000's. Just wondering the different ways they are assigned.

breal91367 is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 11-28-2018, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe someone in your area will respond later, but I'll tell you how it is for me. My district uses AESOP (now called Frontline) to post available jobs. I have phone calls turned off, but the system starts calling subs if jobs remain unfilled. I can log in and look for jobs, but as you say, it would be a lot of "refresh, refresh..." There is a paid app available to help find jobs easier. I use Jobulator, and I've heard others here say Sub Assist is another option. I feel it is a necessary evil to pay for this, as it does pay for itself in finding sub jobs each day I want to work. It might depend on how much competition there is for jobs where you are.

As you get more time in the schools, you may go on some teachers' preferred subs list. This will send you an email when they post a job. In theory this gives you an advantage to know about and snag the job, but in practice you'll compete with anyone who has an app that alerted them right away.

The last way I get jobs is a teacher will talk to or text me personally,. We'll work out the details and she'll have the sub coordinator assign it to me without the job ever being posted.

Good luck!
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Welcome!
Old 11-28-2018, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We’re glad you’re here.

I’m in Texas, but I’ll share how my district’s system works. Up until a year ago, we did have the option of being called the morning of or the night before a job. The district dropped that service b/c almost none of the subs were using it anymore, since we had, and continue to have, a website where jobs are posted.

Yes, it is a case of refresh, refresh, refresh, snag. That’s exactly what I was doing to get my first sub jobs, but as I got to know teachers, I’m able now to get enough jobs directly from them calling/texting/ asking me in person when I’m at their school.

We do not have a sub coordinator. The teachers put in their jobs, and they can request a specific sub. In that case, the job never appears online. The sub gets an email asking them to confirm the pre-arranged job.

I wish you the best of luck! Since you’ve subbed before, maybe you’ll get back in the groove sooner. Just bring more value to the table, and outwork everyone else.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 12-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only sub one district and they use Aesop. If I didn't pay for an app, I would have to babysit my phone/laptop and refresh to hunt to for jobs....and...I would work maybe 1x a month that way. With the app, I can work everyday day if I want to.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote