Help

Substitute Teachers

How Subs Get in Trouble

>

SubMan

How Subs Get in Trouble
Old 12-10-2018, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm teaching at a 5/6 middle school today. I have one period of art coverage (art teacher is out, no sub). As I am walking around monitoring the students I am picking up the supplies left from the previous classes. As I pick up a ruler from the floor I hear a student blurt out "He's going to hit us with a ruler!" Several more chime in. I tell the class "no, I just picked this up off the floor."

What do you think happened at the end of the day as I was leaving? I had to speak with the principal who said he had heard from a parent that their child told them there was a substitute hitting students with a ruler in art class today.

Of course I didn't hit anyone with a ruler nor did I even think about doing it. Just goes to show you even a simple act of picking up a ruler from the floor can cause a substitute trouble.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Another example of entitled brats trying to do a “gotcha” on the sub, b/c they know their parents will fall for whatever pearls of wisdom spew from their offsprings’ lips. That didn’t ever work in my house!!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yikes! They really do sound like entitled brats.

Sometimes when I'm doing a lesson about measurement, I'll use a ruler, meter stick, or yardstick. In the future, I guess I should be very careful.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

One other thing
Old 12-11-2018, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a feeling the art teacher has trouble finding subs, and is quite concerned about it. Having a parade of subs throughout the day is something no regular teacher wants.

If you haven't done it already, email the art teacher and let him or her know exactly what happened. If you have names, share them, although use only initials in your email (I'm sure you already know this).

On a couple occasions, I've had upper el and middle school students tell some real whoppers about me. The last time it happened, I shared all the information with the teacher, and he wasn't pleased. He gave them a hard time when he returned, and made them write letters of apology!
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

You're not alone
Old 12-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Subbing can be like walking through a mine field. Sooner or later, you walk into a situation like you describe, through no fault of your own. Just some really bad apples in that class. You have my sympathy, SubMan.

I agree that upper elementary and middle school can be horrendous (which is why I avoid both these days). When I first started subbing, I took an assignment with what was supposed to be a 5th grade ELD (English Language) class. Turns out, it was the dumping ground for the problem students as well. There was a group (more like gang) of boys who immediately started hijacking the class...talking and joking, asking me lots of irrelevant questions. The others sat there frozen, and no one was on task. I finally opted to send all 5 troublemakers to "detention" and called the detention teacher to notify her (the lesson plan stated that was an option I could use). Big mistake.

Instead of going to detention, the boys went straight to the principal's office with a concocted lie about how I "used profanity" in the classroom. (I don't even use it at home...seriously???) The principal immediately sent another sub to replace me and called me to the office. When I explained what happened, she admitted these boys were trouble makers, but instead of removing the boys, she sent them back to class and opted to change my assignment to "roving sub." I felt totally unsupported and insulted. I told her I didn't feel well and chose to go home instead. I scratched that school off my list of options.

I like c6g's suggestion of writing a note to the teacher explaining the situation. (I wasn't able to get back to class and note it on the lesson plan.) But aside from "voting with our feet," In retrospect, I think it's a really good idea to document the event so that the appropriate folks are notified and it's at least on record. As they say, CYA. It doesn't make our jobs any easier, but at least we do what we can to protect ourselves.

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

incidents
Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One time a student didn't like the lesson plan that the t had left (notes for 1 1/2 hours), and she said that she was "going to get me in trouble." High School.

Also, a s said one time that he was going to say that "I slapped him." He ended up not going to the school, anymore, as a result of the grabbing incident, if you remember. High School, also. In the incident report that I made about the grabbing, however, I did state that he had said this, but if the grabbing hadn't occurred, I wouldn't have done anything. He also said "that's what's wrong with subs today."

At the time that these things happened, I really didn't realize that there was anything I could do about it. Because of this thread, I now have a plan...

I'm not sure if this would work with "I'm going to get you in trouble," because it is vague, but I would probably do it, anyway.

I'm going to not do anything until I can get the name of the s. Then I'll probably say something about how seriously I take something like that because it could affect my career - I don't find it funny or entertaining. "I was all the way over here." I want to say this so the whole class can hear it, just so they know in case they are thinking of defending him/her (?). Or maybe I should let the "going to the office" speak for itself.

I would then write up a referral and call the office, explaining how I don't take this lightly, and I hope they don't, either. I want to send the student to the office.

Can you imagine even THINKING of doing such a thing when you were in school?

Also, my mother was a preschool teacher, and she SAID that she would tell the parents that "If you don't believe what they tell you about me, I won't believe what they tell me about you." I don't know if she really did this, but she said that she did.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This school is already on my list to avoid based on what I have experienced so far; being switched to another class midday, having to make photocopies for random teachers during planning time, duty dumping, excessive coverages, and other things.

I'm just fulfilling my obligation to the school/district by showing up on days I have already scheduled since I can't delete the absences on my own. Once these are done then I can safely say I'm not seeing any jobs (because I removed them from my list).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 12-12-2018, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sheesh. We almost have to walk on eggshells. Sad!
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Walking on eggshells
Old 12-13-2018, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'd say we definitely are walking on egg shells. Or as I say, tiptoeing through a mine field. And it seems to be getting worse! Substitute teachers are simply easy targets to scapegoat since we are at the bottom of the food chain and basically have no protections.

twin2

Old 12-16-2018, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is really sad. I almost wish there were cameras in all classrooms for this very reason. Of course that idea is scary too. Kids just need to learn to tell the truth.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

OneGreatSub

My perception of myself on the job is
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

nothing like the school administration's or students' perception of me. To kids I'm "just a sub" who'll be gone tomorrow and, therefore, an easy mark. To the administration, I'm a warm body with no rights. I prefer to think of myself as a professional who performs an important and valuable service. It's an uphill battle to garner any respect, though. After a recent meetng with an adminstrator, I came away knowing for certain what I long suspected. Subs are less than zero on the radar, and as far as the district is concerned, little more than a necessary nuisance.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sirsubalot
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
This message has been deleted by Sirsubalot.

wilecoyote

Old 12-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

good way of putting it!
wilecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 12-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I prefer to think of myself as a professional who performs an important and valuable service. It's an uphill battle to garner any respect, though
I feel the same way. I strive to do my best as an educated professional and regard my work as a valuable service. But I feel like no matter how hard I try, I still get treated poorly and disrespectfully ... not by the students, but by the adults...especially the administrators. They say a fish rots from the head. How true.