Florida's Recertification as a Substitute :-(

>

Lynn0287

Lynn0287

Florida's Recertification as a Substitute :-(
Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

hoping someone can help. I am a substitute teacher in Florida with a license -it is time for me to renew and I need 6 credit hours, one of which must be in teaching students with disabilities. Which is not a problem, and I don't mind doing.

My problem is trying to find an AFFORDABLE way of doing this.

I completed an intensive, time- and brain- consuming EPI program. After that, I just couldn't justify returning to a college classroom to sit in two 3-hr. classes. I just couldn't afford the time or money to for the 6 hrs. to renew that first time, so I CLEPed 6 hours with Human Growth and Development and Educational Psychology.

Now that it is time again to renew, I don't see any more CLEP options that will work, and I still have to get the SWD hour (I figure I might as well take a 3 hr course / exam for that as part of my 6).

I have looked at Study.com and Ed2go, but the college where I completed the EPI, NORTHWEST FLORIDA STATE COLLEGE (thanks for nothing) "can't" tell me if they will accept credits from them to add to my transcript, until I have completed the courses and submitted them for review. ????

ugh - I am about to lose my mind - I have been all over the internet trying to find a solution.

Are there any other certified subs out there in Florida who have figured this out?

I really don't want to pay $100+/ credit hour. That just seems crazy. At $600, plus all the fees that go along, (transcripts, enrollments, "online course" fees, etc.) will make it somewhere between $700-750 at the low-end.

just to substitute at a paltry sum and keep my license, in case one day, I might actually have to teach full-time.....

And they wonder why they can't get substitutes ..... :-(

Any help is greatly appreciated ....

h0kie

PBS Teacherline
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I needed CEUís to renew my license when I was a sub, PBS Teacherline was a God send.

Maybe thereís something there that will work.

http://www.pbs.org/teacherline/
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm not in Florida, so this may not apply
Old 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my state both the larger local districts and state offer in-service credits for recertification. They are usually reasonably priced.

I took district courses as a substitute, they didn't care, just wanted the fee and handed me the certificate.

Florida lists these as equilivants to college (you've probably seen this, but just in case):
Acceptable College Credit Equivalencies for Renewal
Twenty (20) inservice points in an approved Florida master inservice program are equivalent to one (1) semester hour of college credit.
Sixty (60) inservice points in an approved Florida master inservice program are equivalent to three (3) semester hours of college credit.

You may be able to find appropriate inservice points available from the district(s) where you sub.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Lynn0287

Lynn0287

thank you!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the reply to my vent disguised as a request!!

I did look at PBSteacherline, but in order to get credit for the in-service points here, they have to be submitted through a school district's prof. development coordinator.

I have a call in to our district's person, but no reply yet. Thank you for taking the time to reply. :-)
Lynn0287

Lynn0287

thank you!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the reply! Sadly, in order to get credit for the in-service points here, they have to be submitted through a school district's prof. development coordinator. Can't do it on my own.

I have a call in to our district's person, but no reply yet. Thank you for taking the time to reply. :-)

It tickles me to fill in the titles of these wonderful books! At least that's something to smile about!!

NJSubteacher

Confused
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not sure if I understand correctly, but are you saying that after your sub certificate in Florida expires, you have to actually pay to take college courses in order to renew or you cant sub anymore? Also, is the same true if you already hold a Teachers's Cert?

Here in NJ, non certified teacher subs simply have to pay $120 fee every 5 years to renew their sub cert and if you have a teacher cert issued before a certain year (I think it may be 2010), it doesnt expire at all!
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote