Help

Substitute Teachers

All day and no breaks or lunch

>

845ny

All day and no breaks or lunch
Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So today I'm working middle school and I get this schedule when I come in. I'm the tech teacher but for the off-periods I'm either a one-to-one aide or covering a random class:

Homeroom: Tech teacher's homeroom
1st Period: Phys Ed
2nd Period: Aide
3rd Period: Tech
4th Period: Tech
5th Period: Tech teacher's lunch duty
6th Period: Aide
7th Period: Aide
8th Period: Tech
9th Period: Tech

I take a closer look at the schedule and realize I have no lunch! No one in the office says anything, just hands me this schedule. Later the principal says how much they appreciate my "flexibility." I'm going all day without eating, you're welcome?

Share your similar stories, I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to!

845ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They probably didnít realize you didnít get lunch. Our building runs three schedules. When we are short subs, we often have to cover. If the one making the schedule may not realize you didnít get lunch.

For example, last year my planning was during lunch period. If a sub had to cover another grade level that didnít take kids to lunch, theyíd miss time to eat. It wouldnít have been done intentionally.

Definitely ask when lunch is if they give you a schedule to cover again.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 02-04-2019, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not quite the same but I sub elementary, and on many days there are only two breaks-recess and lunch. On rainy days, recess is cancelled obviously, and so often I’m in a classroom from 7:45-1:00 with no reprieve. I need to use the bathroom at least once in that time! It’s crazy—at my old school they’d at least send aides around to cover for 5 mins for a bathroom break.

Middle school at least you can usually run to the restroom in between classes!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 02-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Someone messed up on that schedule for sure! But 9 periods plus home room? Yuck! That in itself is a horrible schedule!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 02-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's insane. And schools wonder why they can't seem to find subs.

Maybe don't ban us for every little thing, pay us more, and don't fill our entire day with classes every period?

Just an idea.

Schools are dysfunctional and unorganized these days.

Last edited by subasaurus; 02-04-2019 at 08:44 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 02-05-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Why in the world did you not point that out and just ask when you should take lunch? As others noted, I'm sure that was just overlooked as they were working on covering everything. I've even had a secretary cover for my lunch when there just wasn't anyone available.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

I agree...Ask for lunch!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Why in the world did you not point that out and just ask when you should take lunch? As others noted, I'm sure that was just overlooked
I agree. By law employers have to give you breaks and lunch. But you need to speak up for yourself and ask for your break if that's been overlooked in the schedule. I've had to do this myself. The staff will always find someone to fill in so you can have your restroom or lunch break.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Luv2teach2017, I wish you were right about a lunch break being required by law. The sad truth is that most states don't require an employer to provide one!
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...yee-29773.html

It's true that most schools do provide a lunch break to employees who are there for the day, and that extends to subs. At the same time, many schools are sneaky. If the sub speaks up, they feel guilty and provide a break, but they hope the sub is too timid to say anything. I've had it happen to me a few times over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to you.

Along with this is the issue accepting two half day assignments. Last week, I accepted an afternoon job, but there was an unfilled morning position in a nearby school. I refused to take it. It would have meant dashing out of the morning school, eating a hurried lunch in the car, finding a parking space at the afternoon school, rushing in through a distant door, taking a quick bathroom break, and meeting the afternoon class. I used to do this, but no more.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

InTheZone

Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Itís saddening to hear your experience. I am learning with subbing this school year is that I have to create boundaries or rules for myself on how I take jobs. It affects how Iím treated. I got burned out from trying to be the perfect sub and was too accessible. People were less concerned about my feelings and put me in subbing jobs that were not straight up honest or fair. Yesterday I added a new rule with not accepting last minute jobs from the office. The situation wasnít right or fair to me. I got hurt rushing to get there, and the teachers did not care about me hearing them complain about the subs called in to help. All in all, donít let yourself be used like a mule.
InTheZone is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
All in all, don’t let yourself be used like a mule.
Good advice!

In California, the law requires that you get breaks. But don't expect employers to look after you. You still need to set boundaries and speak up for yourself. Otherwise you will be taken advantage of and abused. That's the bottom line.

Lakeside

breaks
Old 02-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've been pretty lucky with float days like that. I do them frequently for one particular school (covering IEP meetings and the like) and the secretary there is very good about building in a lunch break.

I have had the lunch duty/cancelled recess thing happen at another school, and I actually tend not to book jobs there without checking the weather now.

The teachers in both of my districts are excellent about covering each other for bathroom breaks, though.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

OneGreatSub

Earlier this year I took
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

a half day elementary aide position that lasted three weeks. The first day I was handed a schedule that included no breaks at all between 8:15 and 12:00. I complained and was basically told "tough," so I took matters into my own hands and gave myself a short break during the time I was going from one class to the next such that I consistently showed up a couple of minutes late. For what they're paying me, they can chill.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 02-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yes, if I am roving that day, I take a restroom break as needed, and they have to wait for me to get to the next place. They know that's just how it is.

One time I subbed for a kindergarten teacher who was pulling students out to assess reading levels. I popped my head out the door and asked if I could quickly visit the restroom when she switched students. She told me NO! She said she had no time to spare. I really had to go, and thankfully I managed to hang on until dismissal. I was STUNNED that she did that, and I have declined every job she's posted ever since.

OneGreatSub

Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The K teacher who refused you a quick bathroom break must have been pretty young. Someday she'll understand that for many older people the urge to go is non negotiable. I would have said, "Sorry to inconvenience you. I'll be back shortly."
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 02-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes! Very young. Too young to understand that it was very embarrassing for me to ask at all, and even more embarrassing to be refused by a young lady who did not manage to get through her all of her students anyway.

Sprite

Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
Definitely ask when lunch is if they give you a schedule to cover again.
You can't go all day without lunch. In my first school we only got lunch 3 days per week. It was awful.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have to say, I may have other issues with this job, but I've almost never had a problem getting breaks when I need them. In fact, teachers, IAs, and yard duty staff have been very considerate and made a point of offering me breaks at times when I'm a roving sub, doing recess duty, or there's indoor recess, for example. I seldom even have to ask.

There was only one time when a particularly grumpy IA took off and left me hanging with a class of kinders to watch and without any restroom break. But as soon as she showed up again during their recess, I simply told her I was going to the restroom and left!

It's NOT an option. You need reasonable opportunities for restroom breaks and (if it's a full day) a lunch break. You shouldn't have to beg. But if needed, be a little more assertive.