Help

Creative Outlet

Disappearing 9 patch quilt --- the saga continues

>

Peaches Pears

Disappearing 9 patch quilt --- the saga continues
Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I finally finished this quilt about a month ago.

If there is a hard way to do something I usually find it. (sigh)
At least I am learning as I go.

I started last year with the intent to give it to a friend.
The yellow and green colour palette was used because those are what she calls her 'healing colours'. Not my colours.
I started with a couple of charm packs and some Kona White yardage (or maybe it was Kona Snow) and some extra solid yellow yardage.
I picked through the charm packs and picked out the yellows and greens, plus I added the white yardage and a few greys/blues so I would have enough 5" squares.
I paid the extra for charm packs because I wanted this to be a quick quilt. Yeah, right.

I sewed 9 block squares and cut them up for disappearing 9-patch layout.
Around this time I decided I didn't like the fabric, thought the layout was too busy etc. etc.
It took me a long time to settle on the layout and when I did pick the final layout it was pretty much the same as a simple charm square quilt with sashing.
The disappearing 9 patch approach did make the cutting and sewing easier -- I didn't have to either cut or sewing 2 1/2 inch squares --- but the seams were difficult to nest because I had directional pressed for a 9-patch.
Have I mentioned I am a bit fussy.

I got the top sewn together and then I had to decide on borders. Oh my, so many decisions.
Got the borders sewn on and then I had to figure out how to quilt it. I had never quilted a whole top on my domestic sewing machine. Previously I had quilted in sections and then attached the sections --- a quilt as you go method.

Stitching in the ditch sounds easy but it is hard to get perfectly straight titches that disappear into the seam. I finally decided to stitch 1/4" either side of the seams.

I used yellow flannel for the back, sandwiched the whole thing on my kitchen table using masking tape, picnic table clips, spray baste and pool noodles.
What a production.

And I still didn't like the quilt.
Plus I had decided it was too big to give to my friend.
I just wanted it finished.

The quilting process was far from elegant. I had card tables and ironing boards set up all around me to take the weight of the quilt. I used pool noodles and bicycle clips to keep the bulk rolled up and out of the way. I had it draped over my shoulder, on tip of my head, in my lap.
I quilted from the middle out in all 4 directions and alternated sewing from top to bottom and bottom to top so the quilt was not distorted.

There was a lot of reaching and pulling to get the quilt through the machine.
Some where along the line my FitBit must have decided that my reaching and pulling motion equated to my arms swinging while walking.
After a day of sitting at my machine quilting I had one of my highest FitBit daily totals of the month.

The quilt is now finished.
Guess what?

I like it.

I'm keeping it.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 03-29-2018, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here is the back.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Cat woman

Comment a possible “dumb” question
Old 03-30-2018, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it looks very nice. And again, since I have been taking a quilting class I knew so many of the terms you used! Here is my question— how do you know names of different quilting designs like Disappearing 9 Patch? Is that something I will just eventually get immersed in? Is there some resource I could seek out to see all sorts of different patterns? I am loving this quilting class so far.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 03-30-2018, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

WoW!
I'm learning to quilt and have pretty much decided I will have my SIL quilt (she does this for a living) my things that are bigger. I'm not that patient or skilled at quilting through huge, long things- but I would've loved being there to see you do that in action! I might've learned things.

I so love your whole story and it sounds like my saga of buying some charm packs to make a table runner. I cut them apart and yikes it was disgusting when I put them together. I need a class on picking out fabric!?! Maybe at some point I'll try again on them.

It is lovely, and I'm glad that you decided to keep it for yourself- not often we do that! Maybe all the choices that you made, that were pleasing to your eye, did the trick!

Keep posting!!
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Quilt
Old 03-30-2018, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love your quilt and I'm glad you're keeping it!

KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 03-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Cat Woman, you will learn all those quilting terms.
It just seems to happen.

Years ago I took a Primary Teaching course. I had been teaching Grades 6, 7 8 for a number of years but wondered about changing divisions.
I would sit in those classes feeling like a fish out of water.
Someone would mention a picture book title or a popular author and heads all around me would be nodding in agreement or acknowledgement. I didn't have clue. Fast forward a few years and I knew authors by name and genre, book titles by theme and even publishers. I became one of those head nodders.
The same thing will happen with the quilting terms.

canteach

It looks so nice and springlike!
Old 03-30-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can relate to the effort of getting the quilting done. Such a job to shift it all around a zillion times! Most of mine have been lap or wall sized quilts. I always say that if I ever made a quilt large enough to fit our king sized bed, I would pay to have it long armed just so I didn't have to deal with all that bulk!
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Agree that the longer you quilt,
Old 03-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

the more familiar you will become with the various patterns. However, you can borrow quilting books from your local library. Many can also be found at a yard sale or two. There are also quilting groups on Facebook. Pat Sloan has one and she designs her own quilts. She shares blocks with the group. She eventually publishes a book on the quilt. I am most familiar with her group, but I know there are probably many more.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

luv it
Old 04-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

. . .especially the vintage look with those colors. Disappearing nine patch has always been one of my favorite designs. Kudos to you for completing such a masterpiece " on the fly." I'm always impressed by all of you who machine quilt. I only know how to hand quilt and it took me until last year to stitch a straight line without drawing it first with my pencil.😳 My Promise Stitching group has FABULOUS stitchers which really keep me going. One lady stitches 9 stitches per inch. I'm told the professional Amish quilters usually stitch 6 stitches per inch. I will continue to be inspired by you all. I too have only competed wall quilts, throw quilts, and table runners. I am eternally working on a picnic quilt which is changing dimensions every time I pick up the needle!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
One lady stitches 9 stitches per inch.
Wow!
Just wow!

Hideeho

Oh, I love this post!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I made an afghan before I was married using yellow, white, and green. It's never matched any decor, but I've kept it around.

I plan to be moving into quilt making yet this year. I've already been pinning a lot on Pinterest and watched a few videos on YouTube.

I feel as if I'm learning quite a bit from those.

What size did your quilt end up being? It is absolutely gorgeous!!
Hideeho is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The quilt is big enough to generously cover a twin size bed.
Really too big for a lap type quilt.

md2dkh3

Beautiful!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Your quilt is beautiful! Great job! Your design and color combo works wonderfully! I love to quilt. I'm in the process of wrangling a large quilt on my domestic machine at this time. Have used card tables as extensions of my table to hold the weight but just recently my cousin built a new custom cabinet for my machine which has a drop leaf which I can extend when quilting a large quilt. Loving it!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-19-2018, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That's kind of cousin to have in the family!
A drop leaf option on the sewing table is a great idea.