Help

Retired Teachers

Seventeen More Days

>

travelingafar

Seventeen More Days
Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have seventeen more days of school, and my retirement is effective January 1st. Yay me!

I'm not sure how much stuff to leave and what to take. I have a large collection of books that I will bring home. They will be donated to the public library for their book sales.

I'm unsure about whether to take my laminated posters and professional books. It is highly unlikely that I will have my own classroom again. I plan to sub a day or two a week but don't need any of my materials for that.

travelingafar is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Congrats on the countdown!!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I gave away a lot of things to other teachers who could use them. Posters especially. There is a place in the workroom where we could put giveaways. I also just emailed the school and told everyone I had posters if they wanted any. Teachers came by my class to look. The gal taking your place may appreciate some of them too.

Professional books- you could sell to Half Priced Books, give to teacher friends, give to public library, sell on Amazon.com.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Wow....
Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congratulations.....It will fly by! It's a bit bittersweet if you're like me. I miss a lot about my job but I surely don't miss all the paperwork, testing stress, endless, pointless meetings, parent problems, etc. I'm sure the kids will be super excited these last few weeks but just breathe and realize soon you'll be FREE!!!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

What I did
Old 11-30-2015, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught self-contained special ed. I was in the classroom at my school for 14 years. The first 13 years we had no curriculum, so I made up my own. I had a garage with several cabinets of materials, manipulatives, books, arts/crafts supplies, etc, as well as cabinets and containers full in my classroom. Because I had students for 3-4 years in a row, I rotated the curriculum every year for 3 years, then started over. I brought everything home that was mine. I put district materials on a table in the staff room. I sent all of my special ed stuff to the special ed storage building OR to the building that was opening up a new self-contained classroom (my allocation got moved). I then had a garage sale and got rid of the majority of my own materials. I donated the rest to Salvation Army. I do have some children's books and a few items that I need to do something with.
Enjoy your retirement! I sub a day or two a week, but have the option of declining jobs or going onto the sub system and making myself unavailable if I don't want to sub. It's lovely.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Stuff
Old 11-30-2015, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also had to create my own special ed curriculum for kids in 11th and 12th grade. I had tons of stuff. I brought a lot of it home when it still sits...in the basement...unopened...for 8 years

Be ruthless. Save a few special things and give away or pitch the rest. Your basement will thank you for it.

xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote
rusty
Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM
This message has been deleted by rusty. Reason: already posted

mrsd5

I brought home very little
Old 11-30-2015, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Left my classroom library to the teacher taking over my room. Left all my posters and extra materials (even if they were bought with my own money). I brought home my personal photos and some classroom decorations (pigs, lots of pigs. We were "Hogwild for Learning"). Most of the pigs went in the dumpster at the end of the summer. I have one small file box of stuff, including old yearbooks and all my awful school pictures. I predict that those won't make it through the winter before I toss them. That part of my life is over. Don't want to look back. Can you tell that my last few years were stressful?
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mostly other teachers won't want all your laminated posters, etc -- unless they are new to teaching. I left tons of stuff out and either student teachers grabbed it (yay!) or the office staff tossed it (when I wasn't looking -- yay!)

Really, the less you bring home (beyond favorite books or ones to donate) the happier you'll be. I promise.

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 12-01-2015, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It will be a glorious new year for you!
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 12-01-2015, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Your teaching days are dwindling fast!
As to what to take, peruse old posts on this board and you will see that most of us regret taking as much as we did. We later end up tossing it out at home.
IMO: Unless you plan to re-enter teaching soon, just take personal items and leave the professional stuff for your replacement.
BTW- Most everything you need to teach today is online.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Soon, very soon
Old 12-01-2015, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You will be dancing the happy retirement dance!

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It will be so wonderful when you are DONE! You will not be sorry! Enjoy your countdown!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

What a nice gift to yourself
Old 12-03-2015, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here's to a terrific new season in your life.
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote