Help

Retired Teachers

only one thing I miss

>

connieg

only one thing I miss
Old 12-04-2015, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was blessed to be in a wealthier district, which has its own challenges, but the gifts at Christmas were nice. When my daughter married and I had grandchildren, it actually became fun. I would sort them all into categories: candy and chocolates went to my DH and son-in-law, the nicer household items and lotions went to the daughters and the "really, you thought a grown up lady would like that?" items went to the grandkids.

Everyone knew these were the special "regifted" items and it became a fun tradition. That is about the only thing I miss. I don't miss planning the parties, making parent gifts and the craziness of the holidays in school.

If teaching was ONLY teaching reading around the reading table and math at the smart board, I would still be teaching... I can't believe how my mind had to think of so many things at one time!

connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

What I miss
Old 12-04-2015, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I miss the holiday celebrations, the Thanksgiving feast my classroom would put on (before CCSS), the Holidays Around the World activities, the food, but especially the kids. I am going to miss my peers/teaching friends. The ornament exchange is next week. This year there will not be that special ornament on my tree. I taught in a district that had people of great wealth down to homeless children in the same classroom. I taught children with moderate to severe disabilities. I occasionally got gifts from parents, but that was rare. The gifts I did get were usually dollar store finds that I displayed in the classroom.
I'm with you about the teaching. If I could have been respected as a professional and allowed to teach the way my students needed, I would probably still be there. I couldn't deal with the endless pre and post tests monthly, the Alternate Assessment that made my children cry because it was still too far above them, the IEP meetings, having IEPs sent back from my supervisor because she found a word misspelled (Yep. She would find errors that others made on the IEP online and fix them, but would send mine back to fix.), the daily demands to produce data showing improvement for children who made improvement from year to year or maybe every couple of years, but not day to day and month to month. I couldn't do it anymore.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

What I miss
Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught in a very poor school so Christmas presents were rare and no holiday celebrations were allowed. The only present I really remember was when I was student teaching in a middle income school. Kids brought presents there and a sweet girl from a homeless family gave me an old used pencil because it was all she had to give. I never forgot that girl or her gift and it was an omen because I ended up teaching at my beloved low income school for all of my career.

Now on to what I miss about teaching. I really miss the high octane energy that I got when I walked through the door at my school each morning. The pace of teaching math and managing multiple issues all at once was exhilarating. A high I always loved. Maybe teaching at my school can be compared to the current TV show called Code Black. I bet that sounds crazy but its what I miss. I also love being retired. Just sayin....
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

connieg

modify
Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'll modify my response about missing teaching: I enjoyed SOME of the aspects of the holidays while I was doing them but now am greatly relieved that I don't have to do them anymore...

Does that make sense? Sort of like childbirth and raising a young family- so glad I did it but wouldn't want to do it again!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

I miss
Old 12-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My old oak desk with pull outs is what I really miss. That desk was passed down when my DH's third grade teacher retired. We swapped desks.. Little did I know until years later the connection between the two.
After 43 years of teaching I'm ready for new adventures.

Last edited by jjwires; 12-04-2015 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: incomple response
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I admit I boo-hoo'ed about missing my old job, but after subbing today for the first time since I retired....I no longer miss it!!! I guess I was being selective and just remembering the good things. I was forgetting the petty arguing, the constant tattling, the nonconforming, confrontational six year olds, the annoying parents who never clean out their kid's backpack, the runny noses, the whining, etc. When I started watching the clock today and it was only 9:15, I realized I couldn't wait for the day to end so I could go back to good old RETIREMENT!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

only thing
Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't really miss anything about the Christmas celebrations at school. Most of the children in my school were very poor, so gifts were the Dollar Store types of gifts if they were able to give anything at all. One parent donated a tiny artificial tree with lights and a white cottonball skirt that I put up every year on my desk and where I put small gifts for my students until the powers-that-be told me I was not allowed to do that anymore.

One of the few things I miss is the read-alouds with my first graders. They were always so excited to hear the stories, and of course I hammed it up for them. I usually read right after morning recess and right after lunch to calm them down.
One of my parents was very disappointed and upset when I retired because her son had been telling his younger sister all about the read-alouds, and his sister was so excited to be going into my class the next year.
Quote:
If teaching was ONLY teaching reading around the reading table...
Yes, I miss that too.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 12-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

On the day before winter break we would have a holiday social in my class. Kids brought in snacks, I set a table with a red tablecloth, flameless candles and put their treats in holiday dishes. We put some holiday music on. They brought in board games and we spent the afternoon playing board games and leisurely snacking. Everyone, even me, had a pleasant relaxing afternoon.

I also miss reading favorite holiday and winter books.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Memories
Old 12-06-2015, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I miss reading Christmas/holiday stories to my students which I did when I taught elementary grades. I had a large collection, and admin was perfectly OK with me reading any of them to my class. We would all gather together after lunch for story time each day, with the kids sitting on the floor around me. It was my favorite part of the day, and especially at Christmas.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote