Help

Retired Teachers

Bye Bye, NCLB!

>

timeforbed

Bye Bye, NCLB!
Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can we all take a moment to bow our heads (in relief) to the end of No Child Left Behind? I think the stupidity of thinking that all children attaining the goal of 100% proficiency by 2014 and punishing schools based on test scores without a thought to the differences on each child let alone school population played a huge part in my leaving the teaching field.

The demands based on the law contributed to the stress which in turn played a huge part in my physical health. It was the true Sword of Damocles for me.

Anyone else happy to see it go?

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Absolutely!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

However, I wonder how beneficial the new version will be. Usually once these bad laws are enacted some idiot tries to rejuvenate them in a different form sooner or later. At least I hope the new law will have some relationship to reality--even after 35 years and nearly all the training I could get, I never knew 100% of any group of people to do anything at the exact same time. Kids are people with all the quirks that implies.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, NCLB, you were a long walk on a dirt road. What next?
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Glad it is gone,but still pity the teachers left behind. No pun intended!
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re:NCLB
Old 12-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good evening to all- No child Left Behind was the worst school legislation- ever. And it is a good thing it is dead and gone. whatever comes next can hardly be worse.
The worst thing about MCLB is the damage it did to schools, teachers, and most of all- kids. I grew very, very weary of seeing my spec ed kids, non-English proficient kids, and kids who were just not very good at specific subjects having to test and retest and retest to try and pass NCLB mandated tests.
I hope there's a hot place in hell for the folks who conceived the notion of No child Left Behind.
good evening to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

agree with canteach
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Glad NCLB will be gone. But how quickly will it be gone? I doubt over night. And will the new and approved thing be just as bad? Too many handshakes on money deals with "Testing Companies " and publishers are at stake. Trust me , I am the first one to say "Give me my kids and I will teach." I am not raining on the parade just a view of the reality we all retired from. Hoping for good results for the future
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm with you! I would imagine that is at the core of why a lot of us left teaching when we did!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Hurray!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My DH and I CELEBRATED when we heard on the news and read in the paper that NCLB was gone, gone, gone! It was an idealistic plan, that was written by idealistic people who had probably NEVER taught in a well rounded classroom. It was like a business plan written by business people who had never taken a course in education or ever set foot in a classroom. Before I left college I learned about the bell shaped curve. When I started teaching I saw the bell shaped curve in my classroom. You can move that bell a bit, but to get everyone above the median would take magic! 100% proficient was a lofty goal, but more than that.... it was an impossible goal. We all saw it as similar to the fairy tale "The Emperor's New Clothes." The Emperor (NCLB) was naked, but everyone was afraid to say anything. Our administrators had to follow the law and push us to get those test scores up (yes, including special ed kids, ell kids, kids who did not even GET how to take the test) so that by 2015 we would have 100% proficiency in all of our schools with all of our kids all across our country. CRAZY! I said it was crazy from the beginning, but who listens to a lowly second grade teacher? Now I'm retired, but I am still celebrating the demise of NCLB! Who knows what will follow. It looks like the fed are throwing accountability back to the States. We'll see where that goes. Only time will tell. But I can only say: Common Sense Prevails. Please let some teachers and former teachers be on the state teams that plan the future of education in our 21st Century!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

The NCLB disaster
Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

GOOD RIDDANCE to the WORST conceived piece of educational legislation EVER!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Just a piece of trivia
Old 12-12-2015, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't know if my PT friends experienced this or not. But when NCLB was first pushed , the principals had to prove that their teachers were highly qualified. Ok, that sounds good. I took the NTE which they now called the PRAXIS back in 1976 when you were politely encouraged to take the test. I sent my scores to the districts. Short story the district did hang on to things back then. At first , they district wanted to deemed me not highly qualified even though I had been teaching close to 30 years and I had a Master's , as well as plus 30 hours. The flip side my neice that just graduated from college in ED. was considered high qualify. Ending to the story there were a lot of good teachers that had the same situation so we told to be thankful that we were grandfathered in . You really have to laugh now.

readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Ding dong the witch is dead.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Never thought I'd see this day arrive. Hooray.
DSLBUG is online now   Reply With Quote

xcaped

NCLB...Good Riddance
Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was teaching at the high school level when all the mishmash about being "highly qualified" came down the pike. It was a lot of hoops we all had to jump through. A person with a degree in History was not qualified to teach Government. A Chemistry teacher had to have a degree in Chemistry not Science Education. As a Spec Ed teacher, who was co-teaching all over the place, I had to be highly qualified in EVERYTHING...LIKE ALL SUBJECTS. And so did all the other members of my department.

Of course, the local colleges and universities saw an opportunity to make a killing. They put together classes for teachers who need highly qualified status. Take the class...be highly qualified to teach.. and have the paperwork to prove it.

I took a crapload of those classes. Show up, grade papers in secret, daydream, do the minimum, get the certificate and go home. I 'd show up highly unqualified, and presto chango, after 3 hours, I was legal. What a crock.

I did use the law to my advantage though. I never managed to fit the classes in subjects I did not want to teach into my schedule. And since my original degree was Social Studies Comprehensive, I was automatically highly qualified for all the fun social studies electives..
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Thank goodness
Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

and now onto getting rid of the over abundance of standardized testing and endless assessing of the youngest students.

Let all my wonderful friends still in teaching go back to teaching children and leave teaching to the test behind!
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

doneami

Good Riddance
Old 12-13-2015, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I smiled with glee and almost did a happy danced when I read that NCLB bit the dust. Hoping for the best with the "Latest, greatest craze that's put into place"
doneami is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyotodeb

Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It was replaced by "Every Student Succeeds Act"
Soooo glad I'm out!
Kyotodeb is offline   Reply With Quote