Help

Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please share your memories of decorating your tree or house!!

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When we were kids, we always made a huge family expedition out of getting the Christmas tree. Five kids and two parents in the Buick station wagon...everybody had an opinion...and when we finally found the "perfect tree" it got tied on the top of the tree. Dad and the boys set the tree up. We always got an 8 foot tall tree because the living room had a high ceiling, so it wasn't easy to get it stable, with the best side showing, and completely vertical. It was one of the rare times we heard Dad cuss (just a few "hells" and "damns"...never heard anything more than that ever from him). Dad and the boys also put the lights on before we decorated. We had those big bulbs in a variety of colors, all in series, so if one bulb went out, the whole string went out...and then you had to locate the bad bulb. What a pain in the neck! (No wonder Daddy cursed!)

We decorated the tree mostly with things we kids made. Lots of paper chains and bells made of egg carton sections covered in gold paper. After that, Mom put a few "good" ornaments on the upper branches, where kids, cats and dogs couldn't reach. Then we put on candy canes, and finally the tinsel! Mom doled out one or two strands at a time and directed us toward the bare spots.

The very last thing was the creche, placed under the tree in the central place of honor.

We had a big old farmhouse with columns in the front. When the boys were teens, Mom would buy garland and have them wrap the pillars with greens. We put lights on the yew trees in the side yard.

I remember visiting my friends who lived in a subdivision, and they had silver trees with blue lights and other "modern" decorations. I thought that would be nice and wondered why we couldn't be more like my friends who had white lights in their apple trees...but now I am happy for my more traditional memories! These days I just have little white lights in my 5 foot tree, and a lot of hand-made ornaments, but I still feel we are pretty traditional in our decorating!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Decorating memories
Old 12-11-2015, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When my kids were young we would go out to a Christmas tree farm for out tree. One year it was bitterly cold, but we bundled up and headed out to the countryside. After searching for just the right tree, we cut it down and hauled it off to the store on site. We had hot cocoa while the men wrapped a net around the tree and tied it to the top of our car. At home, the kids helped haul the tree inside and attached it to our stand. The tree was put upright and put in front of our window. DH cut off the net and whooomp...out popped the tree and the room grew dark. It was so huge it blocked the light coming through the window. Unfortunately, the tree that looked so lovely in the country was enormous in our home. The kids didn't mind, but I thought it was beyond funny and the green tumbleweed remained until after Christmas.

The next year we bought a "permanent tree" thinking we would avoid the previous year's fiasco. It was perfectly decorated. On Christmas Eve, we gathered around the tree to open our presents. Then, as if timed by a movie director, the tree pitched forward right onto the floor. It was one of those funny family memories we keep talking about every year.

I loved decorating for Christmas over the years. As I looked over the pictures of our past iI see every possible nook and cranny decorated with Christmas decorations. It was excessive but certainly didn't seem so at the time. I don't go all out now but enjoy putting up a few things. The memories will do for now.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I come from a long line of German ancestors who have held fast to many of the German Christmas traditions. The main one I remember from growing up is the electric train village my dad would set up, and the Christmas tree being put up and decorated by my parents after we had gone to bed on Christmas Eve ! They would always place the nativity set under the tree Growing up, my siblings and I never saw the tree until Christmas morning! We also always had an Advent wreath on our table and lit it every night at dinner.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

Military brat
Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our tree went up on Christmas Eve. Ornaments were laid out on the coffee table and we 3 kids passed by them in order and took one (always by the hook, cradling the bottom with the other hand). We marched through this routine until tinsel time, that heavy leaded stuff (one strand at a time of course, and no throwing). Then we had hot dogs with beans and brown bread for dinner. I loved every minute of it.

edfan is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 12-12-2015, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I was little, we would go to the tree lot and look for the tallest tree, as we had 12 foot ceilings. We had the bulb lights, some simple ornaments, and lots of icicles!! One year we went to my aunt's house and she had a white flocked tree and I thought it was so beautiful.
We live in an old house and decorate our porch with fresh greenery each year. We put lemons and apples above the door with magnolia leaves. It always is so welcoming and I hate to take it down after Christmas.
I love being retired and having the JOY of Christmas, instead of the stress of getting it done while teaching.
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Memories
Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One Christmas we had a live tree that we set up early in December. We kept it watered and the needles kept falling off. It ended up being bare so we ended up taking it down and putting up our artificial tree. We hid it in the trunk of my DH's Chevy Nova and disposed of it after Christmas. We didn't want our neighbors to notice. It took us a long time before we ever got a live tree again!

When my DS was little we put a tree up in his play pen. It actually worked out well.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

tree
Old 12-13-2015, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My grandmother always had a big tree with real candles. When the family got together, we would light the candles. The candles were in little candleholders that were clipped to the branches. It would have to be clipped in such a way that the candle stood straight up. Needless to say, it brought a lot of anxiety with it. We had buckets of water nearby in case of fire. There never was a fire, but I cannot imagine trying to do something similar.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote