Help

Retired Teachers

Holidays don't seem as exciting

>

blueskies96

Holidays don't seem as exciting
Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As when teaching nine year olds. I feel like scrooge a little. All I want is to have a quiet holiday with family.

We can't go in for holiday foods...and sweets...even though they do look pretty.

I do love to watch Christmas theme movies, though. And we had our first snowflakes today!
Just needed to vent a little.

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do miss the excitement of the kids.

I am making lots of cookies and taking them around to neighbors in little tins I found at the dollar store. I'll also be taking a bunch to the local church where a holiday community dinner will be served on Christmas. I'll keep some of the dough in the fridge so if someone comes to visit, I can offer warm cookies and tea or cocoa. I made some for my homeschoolers yesterday, and I'll be tutoring on Saturday.

My kids will come for dinner on Christmas eve, but Christmas day will be pretty quiet here...
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

This one is very special
Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have already done St Nicholas day. My daughter informed me Christmas is celebrated for three days. Tonight DD and her DH are going to the. Christmas market in the city. We will be babysitting the three grandchildren. 6yr old is very fluent in both languages, 5 year old talks German to us but understands English the 2 year old is in the middle of a language explosion in both languages.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

I was thinking
Old 12-18-2015, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught first graders in a Catholic school we had a exciting Advent season at school. We of course did the religious aspect but also the Santa stuff too. There was so much to do with Christmas programs, the school bazaar, and lots of other activities I was always too exhausted to enjoy Christmas at home with my own family. I really did not like it at all. I would get in the spirit the few days before Christmas and then I shopped, wrapped baked etc. to fill in the squares. MY DH did a lot by sending out cards, decorating the house and shopped for the kids. Now that I am retired it is so much more pleasant. I am done shopping a week ahead of time. I now have to wrap but that was better than doing it Christmas eve. I am looking forward to my DD and granddaughters and SIL coming the day after Christmas to stay for a few days. I have my son and his family that live a mile away . My youngest DD who moved in with us... will be having her baby in January. These are exciting times in my household.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 12-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am so glad to hear about your holidays! I do live baking, so perhaps I can bake and find someone who needs cookies, well maybe pympkin bread. My cookies never turn out. But my pumpkin bread is the bomb as the younguns say.

madelyneva

Food---NOOOO!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I went overboard during Thanksgiving and ate too many sweets and just about everything else !

I felt terrible for about a week after that.

I promised myself that I would not do that ever again during any holiday!!!

Yes, I'm also watching a lot of Christmas movies and just old time movies from the 1940's... love watching how life was without all the hustle and bustle of how it is now!
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I subbed in 3rd grade today
Old 12-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If I would have been asked to sub at any school but my old school I would not have subbed. Because of the "warm" weather, it hasn't felt like the Christmas season at all. Subbing at my old school this week (3 days) really got me into the Christmas spirit. Today the kids on my pod (yes, I subbed in a classroom on my old pod) watched a movie and enjoyed a blues musician. I loved watching them. They were a little over the top at times this morning and this afternoon, but I have a few more gifts to wrap/bag before our family Christmas celebration tomorrow.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-18-2015, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree, I miss the kids, but I do not miss having to make gifts for parents, evaluations always this time of year, float building for the parade and un-decorating the room before going home for break!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 12-18-2015, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm with you, Nancy. I put on Christmas music and sat down to write cards last night with my DH and a glass of wine. (Not necessarily in that order......)

I made tiny mince pies and a Christmas pudding to serve our small gathering next Friday. I wrapped gifts and went for a walk. I even worked a little in my art journal.

No papier mache, no broken ornaments pulled out of the kiln, no child leaving 2 days BEFORE the break so everything had to be sped up, no Independent Study Agreements for the extra week THAT kid is going to be skiing, etc.

Just me and the slow warm up to the holiday. I even got my DH to stand in line at the post office this morning!

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

cjkq

Retirement is the best of both worlds!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My good friend was in charge of her school's Christmas program, so I went to watch the dress rehearsal this week. So cute! It's so much more fun to watch the program then to have to put them on! Hooray!

cjkq is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Drink some hot chocolate, Blueskies96, while perusing the boards of those still teaching. You'll get over your nostalgia quickly.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

very true
Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

2grade. All I have to do is read any section of the still teaching boards and it makes me feel like taking up drinking. Add to that our state has a one bllion dollar budget shortfall so you know anyone with more than a few years experience is going to be a target for trimming.

Yes, I will take the quiet holidays.