Help

Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 12-04-2015, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What WAS your favorite craft at school for the holidays? Are you making anything special this year for your home, family, or club?

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Craft?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was in school I don't remember doing crafts for the holidays. All we did was school work. When I first started teaching I was amazed by all the crafty things teachers did with their classes. I joined the club but I am not a crafty person. I guess my favorite one that I did with my students was those ....handprint snowmen on blue balls. My students loved to make paper snowflakes and paper chains. PT was always a great place to get craft ideas before Pintrest. I am so glad to be retired because crafts stressed me out.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyotodeb

Old 12-04-2015, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to love the macaroni wreaths sprayed with gold paint as a kid! It wasn't as much fun years later when I was the one outside in December spraying all the kids' wreaths haha!
Kyotodeb is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't remember doing a Christmas craft at school or having a Christmas party either. Of course, I'm 61 (a young 61 ) and that was a long time ago, but education was different then. The focus was learning.

ETA- maybe we made paper tree chains out of strips of colored construction paper or tissue paper wreaths on a coat hanger. I really don't recall if that was in elementary school or craft I did in Girl Scouts.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a kid we mostly did paper chains...that was boring!

When I taught high school chemistry, I would get someone to cut hexagon shapes (or diamonds or circles) out of galvanized steel, and add a hole for hanging.

The kids would cover the entire ornament with masking tape, draw on their design, and carefully cut it out with an exacto knife.

Then they would immerse the ornament in dilute hydrochloric acid to etch off the zinc from the exposed surface.

After carefully cleaning the exposed iron with an eraser, they would dip the ornament in copper sulfate solution. The copper plates onto the iron surface.

Remove the masking tape and voila! A silver (well, zinc, actually) ornament with an inlaid copper design!

Plus...a complete lesson on single displacement reactions!

I'm making some little felt ornaments from kits this year, just for fun...I'll give some to my kids and put some on my tree.

And check out the wreath (not really a Christmasy one, though) on the Creative board...

Last edited by lisa53; 12-04-2015 at 09:32 AM..
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Traditional craft
Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We would make these wreaths as winter crafts. It was fairly easy for my primary kiddos. I have fond memories of making them but don't miss the racing around stapling, glueing, cutting, hanging them up, taking them down, passing them out, and wondering who made these eight "no name" wreaths (?).
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

funkster

Loved all the crafts
Old 12-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

usually did new ones, so no favorite.

I am going this weekend to DDs yearly cookie decorating with all her friends' kids. They love it, especially her Jewish friend who says that her kids couldn't do this without DD inviting them. It is the first time I get to join the fun because I retired. She says it will all go smooth as glass since there are only 2 new kids to the group. The others were doing this since they were babies and "know the drill," Can't wait.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 12-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We didn't make them at school, but made a home to give to our teachers-- it was an apple with marshmallows on it to make it look like Santa. I am not a crafty person so no craft projects here.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 12-05-2015, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Though I might have made a Christmas gift at school for my parents, I cannot recall any one in particular. Going deep into my time vault, I remember that IBM keypunch card wreaths were a popular craft in the 70's.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 12-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't remember making any special one in school, but I made one at my church when I was about 8 or 9. It was a gold satin ornament and we painted a triangle on it for a face, then drew the eyes and mouth on. It was supposed to look like an angel and it did. I still have it today.

I made way too many crafts with my third graders when we studied Christmas Around the World ( recently changed to Holidays). The one that was most successful were the Mexican poinsettias. They were easy but beautiful when finished.

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Special things
Old 12-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In third grade we did a Santa face cutout and colored it. Teacher cut lined paper to fit that we used for spelling test in December. If you got 100% she gave us cotton balls to glue on his beard. Only time I got 100% in spelling.

I enjoyed making snowman doorstops with my first graders.

I packed some Christmas crafts in my suitcase. Today we made paper chains. They were precut fancy paper printed on both sides. Got at hobby lobby. Great value and didn't need glue. Even 2 year old Charlie was involved.

About Santa, I have been known to call him the patron saint of greed. We celebrated St. Nickolaus day today. Visited DD's neighbors love and laughter are the same in any language.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Kate26

Crafts
Old 12-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I was in fifth grade, we made candles. We poured hot parrafin wax into plastic sherbert pint containers and then used an eggbeater to make wax frothy and then iced the candles after they cooled. Final step was sprinkling glitter. I remember the sherbert containers were smaller at the bottom and wider on top so the candle came out. This was obviously before law suits. Can you imagine letting children pour hot wax???

With my students, I honestly loved letting them use glitter. Whatever we made for Christmas, glitter would be the final touch. Yes, it would be messy no matter how hard we tried to control it. I always gave the janitor a nice gift on the last day of glitter.
Kate26 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Which One is the REAL Santa?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I used to do lots of fun projects to decorate the classroom, but my favorite was the Santas. I would have my second graders make big Santa faces out of construction paper with cotton stuffing for the beard, hat, and eyebrows. I encouraged them to make their Santa unique. I would put them all on the big bulletin board outside our classroom with the title: Which One is the REAL Santa. I would have some random person, like our principal, be the judge and would give a small prize to the creator of the REAL Santa. (I tried numbering the Santas once, and had a ballot box so students could vote for their favorite. Unfortunately there was some stuffing of the ballot box or students who told others what number to vote for. It was a nightmare... so went back to the one or two judges.)
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Christmas craft
Old 12-06-2015, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My favorite Christmas art project at school was making and decorating poinsettias from construction paper and glitter. They were large and bright, and we hung them all around the classroom for Christmas cheer, then the students took them home for the holidays. Everyone worked well together and shared their supplies in small groups. Sometimes I would play holiday music but mostly everyone just enjoyed conversing in their groups. Always a creative and fun time. We used a lot of glitter! I love glitter, and usually the students were pretty good about cleanup. We could use a broom on our vinyl floors.

BTW, I did this with fifth graders, and then also with my HS ESL beginning level students when I taught that subject. They loved making the poinsettias just as much, and it was a low stress way to follow directions and build vocabulary in English. Now, I suppose, that time would have to be dedicated exclusively to some kind of test prep since a few years later even students who had only been in the U.S. one year had to take the complete battery of state tests.

Last edited by Ruby tunes; 12-06-2015 at 06:06 PM..
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 12-08-2015, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

2grade, I had totally forgotten about those IBM wreaths! My favorite craft was the poinsettias. My students would make them before Thanksgiving so I could hang them as soon as we returned. Glitter made them pop. Everyone loved making them and they put everyone in a festive mood.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsRetired

Yes!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I do remember making those with my 5/6 graders. They were always amazed how it turned out!
MrsRetired is offline   Reply With Quote