Help

Retired Teachers

Latest Awful Update

>

travelingafar

Latest Awful Update
Old 12-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As many of you remember, things are dreadful at school. Even though Dec. 23rd is my last day (my retirement is effective January 1st), being there is awful.

My incompetent, unstable, angry principal called our team into her office this morning. She spent fifteen minutes berating us about the lack of progress our students are making, our schedules, and the most recent testing data.

We are a fairly strong team and are respected by the staff. Even though my days are numbered, it is hard to deal with being treated in such an ugly manner. I am furious at being disrespected and berated by her for no apparent reason.

I am at my wit's end and am not sure how I'll get through my last 12 days.

travelingafar is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is not normal principal behaviour.
So sorry this is happening to you and your co-workers.

There is something going on with your principal.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I am finding
Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that more and more this is becoming normal principal behavior. As stress about CCSS and test results put pressure on administrators, teachers and students this kind of behavior seems to break out.

Last year our P who worked with us for 11 years called all the 1st &2nd grade teachers into the library one Monday morning and ranted at us for almost a half hour. She said very hurtful, horrible insulting things to us. Called us lazy, unprofessional and much more. At the time every one of us had a history of being experienced, devoted teachers, many of us were working at least 10 hours a day, staying until after 7pm most nights. It was because a new reading coach was hired and gave advice that was not correct. We nicely pointed it out so our new teachers would not follow it and get in trouble. Well, she was angry because the new coach was her favorite. BTW-the new coach wasn't even offended.

I made up my mind then that my days were numbered. I still haven't accepted that my hard working loyal friends were treated this way. Just like your situation it seems like they are "pearls before swine,"

You only have 12 days left. In that short time I don't think it will happen again. Look forward to the wonderfulness of retirement.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-07-2015, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Deep breaths! It won't be long now! The principal's issue is her problem, not yours!

If you have some sick days or better yet, personal days, available, plan a couple of "appointments" (maybe you need a nice massage? A new hairdo? a pedicure?) spaced out over your twelve days. Choose days where you can easily have a sub. Taking a couple of days off helped me stay happy and detached in the never-ending June before my retirement!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

travelingafar-
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous post- if you have any sick days left, use them! What good will they be after Jan 1? After all, what can your P do to you?
As far as I am concerned, the last two weeks before the holiday break are some of the hardest, least productive days of the whole year. Your kids will be fine with a sub in these last days.
And just think about how your P is acting whenever you think about being retired- it should make that big life-change a lot more positive to you.
Hang in- it will all be a lot better in a few days.
Ed Mashburn

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree that if you have any time on the books, take a couple days off over the next 12 for your mental health.

What's the progress on your P finding your replacement?

Hang in there and enjoy your days with your kids.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingafar

My Strategy
Old 12-07-2015, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am taking tomorrow off and have a meeting away from school on Wednesday. I'll come in on Thursday and Friday. I plan to take a day or two off next week too. I am not going into that building to be berated and belittled.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you have dealt with principals like mine. It is dreadful to go through.

travelingafar

Update
Old 12-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I haven't heard anything about a replacement for my position. It is weird that I will be there a little over two more weeks and, in all likelihood, my principal hasn't found a replacement. She is a piece of work.

Star-Gazer

Old 12-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Maybe it's time for you to go to the superintendent and discuss your principals unprofessional actions. This will allow you to be an advocate for the rest of your team. There isn't really anything that your principal can do to you at this point, and maybe it will help your team in the future.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 12-07-2015, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Be sure to keep a written account of everything that is being said. I even considered taking a tape recorder the last couple of weeks. After I retired and we started comparing stories, it was amazing the bullying that was going on. Close the door and just do what you love.... Good luck.

1959mm is online now   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm sorry that your teaching career is ending this way. This is not the norm. It just proves to you that retiring now is the right thing to do. Hold your head up high, smile, and close the classroom door.
I agree with Peaches/Pears. This is the principal's problem and there is definite transference. It's probably bugging her that you're moving on in your life and she's stuck.
I'm not sure that now is the time for you to report the principal to your superintendent. It might be construed as "sour grapes" since you'll no longer be on staff next month.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

As far as speaking to the Superintendent
Old 12-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think it would depend on whether or not their is a policy for teachers who are leaving to speak to him/her. In my district everyone who is retiring or leaving for any reason is contacted and asked if they would like to have an exit interview with the S.

I didn't do it because my Superintendent was leaving to retire at the end of the year and he rather checked out before I did. They had chosen his replacement and he was just waiting until the last day came.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

That's terrible!!
Old 12-07-2015, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

As we know, s#!+ runs downhill. I wonder if she had just had her behind handed to her. This, sadly, is education 2015! But that still doesn't excuse her horrible behavior. I am so glad that your days are numbered and that you are able to take some of those days off! You'll find that the weight of the world will be lifted off your shoulders, at last!
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingafar

Update
Old 12-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I work in one of the largest school districts in the country (187 schools), and there is no way the superintendent would meet with me. I just want to hang in there until Dec. 23rd (with some days off) and move on. Retirement can't come soon enough. It is sad that my 25 year teaching career is ending like this.

1956BD

So sorry
Old 12-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am sorry your career is ending on this sour note. Hold you head high. Make each day continue to count with the kids and their learning. You can do it. In fact if you wash away the negative tone at your school from administration you can probably teach blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back. If I were you I would try to do some of my favorite lessons of all time. Have fun with learning with them. Make it a joyful experience for you. If you are having fun they will enjoy the lesson as well.

Best wishes for a great end of the year at school plus a happy retirement.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Christmas Present for the Principal
Old 12-07-2015, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If I were you, my Christmas present to the principal would be a letter/email...not one that wishes her a wonderful holiday, but one that tells her in a professional way how unfair her belittling of your team was.

I would send a copy of it to the superintendent also...and blind copy it to your team members!

I would also suggest in the letter/email that she owes the team an apology.

What have you got to lose!! There is nothing she can do to you if you send it to her as your last act on your last day.

Then walk out the door!!
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

how awful.....
Old 12-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

... how awful that the your principal can't provide a positive teaching environment for you and your team.

I feel that you will be fine, even though you're having to put up with her these last few days. It's your team and your replacement... they'll be left with the abuse from the principal.

Just enjoy the last few days with your class and maybe do something nice for your team members... bring them some cookies and hot cocoa mix to take home for relaxing away from the principal!

As far as remembering your career, just think to your happier years. For many of us on this board, I imagine our happiest years were our earlier years of teaching, not the last years of testing, documentation, meetings and evaluations!!
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Very sad!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am so sorry to hear about this, travelingafar. Your Prince-ess could write the book entitled "HOW TO RUIN STAFF MORALE IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS". I know you feel bad about the situation and are feeling bad about leaving your team in such a negative atmosphere. But it's your time to move on! Just focus on your goal, wrap yourself in a positive white light, and give all of your energy to your class in the last few days. Know it's not the best way to end a career, but you know you had a rich, wonderful career. Don't let her spoil your happy LAST days! You can do it!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Wish I could give you a big hug! The others have given you wonderful advice. Take time to read your favorites to your class, sing songs, write creatively, and teach the way you remember when it was fun. The children will love learning again and you will have a taste of how much you love being a teacher.

I agree with those who said to use your personal time before you leave. You earned it and you deserve it.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is a very common issue with principals now it seems and I am wondering if it is because of all the pressure put on them by the districts, states and federal mandates? Who knows? I know its hard as I have been there, but you can do this! 12 more days!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

dreadful
Old 12-07-2015, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hang in there! It is only 12 more days. I know it is hard to be treated in such an ugly manner, but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Only 12 more days. Only 11 more days. Ten more days...
And once you've turned in your classroom keys you can come here for our celebration for all of you who are retiring midyear. We'll toast to your new life.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingafar

Thank You
Old 12-08-2015, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I appreciate the kind words from all of you. I have been teaching things I enjoy the past few weeks and will continue to do so until I leave. I decided to go into school today because I'll be out of the building Wednesday for a meeting and need to put sub plans together. I may take Thursday off.

I refuse to let my toxic principal ruin my last few weeks with students. I will focus on them and not on all the nonsense my principal has asked my team to do. I will be avoiding the office too.

Kyotodeb

Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

They're just envious that you are getting out! Too much stress in teaching these days!
Don't let them steal your joy
Kyotodeb is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 12-08-2015, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

So stressful, but I know it makes you realize that you made the right decision to retire. I think you are smart to take some days off for your mental health. I would just stay as far away from your principal as possible. It is not your problem that a replacement hasn't been hired. Keep your eyes on that big prize of the good life in retirement!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

Twelve days can seem like an eternity
Old 12-08-2015, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Do wish you were leaving on a high note. The important thing is that you are leaving, and soon you will feel this dreadful time melt away. It took a bit of time to decompress, but no time at all to sleep that first night of retired life and wake up after the sun rose-!- and feel free.

Take care. The grinch that is your P will not ruin your getaway. run to your car the last day. Run, Run, Run!!

Last edited by landsoftly; 12-08-2015 at 01:48 PM..
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingafar

Things are Better
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I had a good day at school today and feel much calmer. I talked with a few staff members about the dreadful meeting yesterday and got a lot of support. Everyone in the building thinks the principal is incompetent, mentally unbalanced, and mean. Many of them had been through similar experiences with her.

There was a staff meeting after school yesterday. I am part time and don't attend those meetings but, apparently, the principal announced my retirement date and spoke about me in a positive way. She is really, really weird.

blueskies96

Old 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Glad you're feeling better about things. Some principals are just nuts. Too bad, teachers need their support.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote