Teacher left me ďyouíre going to do thisĒ plans with no damn actual lesson - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Teacher left me ďyouíre going to do thisĒ plans with no damn actual lesson

>

Fractured

Teacher left me ďyouíre going to do thisĒ plans with no damn actual lesson
Old 10-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So pissed!!!!Today was a new one. Iíve had no plans, bad plans and lazy plans, but not like today.This guy today was too damn lazy to write me any kind of real information to follow. He had me do a warm up but didnít tell me what anything was for. The instructions for the main lesson were literally like ďyou are going to teach a lesson about this type of math. Show them how to do it. Google this and here are two sites you might want to use to find some videos to play for them after the lesson while they are doing work on their own.Ē
Okay, so even if you assumed I was a math teacher, you are expecting me to wing a lesson on the spot? You canít make me do the legwork for you. Give me a slideshow or what site you want me to use. How am I supposed to pull this out of my ass? Class has already started. I text him and say Iím not really sure what to show them since there are lots of videos on the sites. He texts me back like 5 particular videos. How am I supposed to get these up on the computer. The kids struggle with the first video. I tell him weíre struggling and ask for back up. He doesnít write back and I say Iím giving study hall. He never texts me back. I ask him if he wants me to do something else besides study hall for the next period. Never texts me back.

Iíve never had anyone do this to me. I mean, talk about unprofessional bs. If he tries to block me from the school Iím going to my union. Iím back there tomorrow on another assignment, but I donít even think I should bother talking to him.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Those "plans" are a joke! Wow, I can't even imagine leaving something like that for a sub. That sounds incredibly frustrating. He wanted you to google videos for teaching a specific type of math and then have them work on... ?? something? Ugh. Sorry you went through that.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have been looking for the department chair on that one. They need to address it so it doesn't happen again. At my schools, teachers are supposed to always have some emergency plans that can be used if they absolutely aren't able to provide current ones.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think he would have covered himself as about half the class for 90 minutes was planned out( loosely) with a test review. Yeah, Iíve never had a teacher just leave the work for me to do. The videos wouldnít have been good, as I donít really know what Iím telling the kids. I can wing a lesson if you give me some kind of framework. Iíve been dumped with English lessons where I needed to use my prep to get a background on the lesson, but that is my content area.
Iím more pissed off he just didnít respond when I was asking him for help. If he wants his students to waste class time, thatís on him.

As far as the dept head, I doubt they would do anything. I just wrote in the notes in future I would need a slide presentation or something more constructed to go on. Iím lucky his kids were not too bad behavior wise.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-10-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn’t waste my time trying to speak with this individual. Why bother? Clearly he wasn’t able to be bothered when he wrote those fabulous lesson plans, nor could he make the effort to respond to your subsequent questions today.

You can’t write him up, but you can certainly write him off!

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 10-10-2019, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Jeez, and then some schools wonder why they just can't seem to find (and keep) subs...

I'm convinced some schools are simply clueless and living on a different planet.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

bagano1

Old 10-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just was made to do a professional development day and listen to some education professor speak.

I'm not even a trained or certified educator, but I knew this woman was nuts and unqualified to be an educator. Yet she was being paid to speak to seasoned, trained educators and tell them what to do! Worst thing is, many of the teachers are dumb enough to take her seriously. The state is just as bad.

I decided I wouldn't get my certification after that PD day. Ever. I wasn't going to, honestly, but that sealed the deal! I would say managing workers at a fast food place is way easier than doing it at a school. You will often hear students saying "You let people take advantage of you" but I realized that it's not me, it's just the way the schools are structured with discipline. They take advantage of the public schools. You can skip class without serious consequence. Do that at a job and you will be sent packing.
bagano1 is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sounds like the kindergarten lesson plans I had where the curriculum was Disney workbook pages all day; Disney princesses for the girls and Cars for the boys. I kept the lesson plans in my pocket the whole day as there was so much paper piled up in the room that I was afraid of losing the plans if I set them down.

Or, perhaps...

The high school math teacher who has me give the chapter test to students 2 days early (Wednesday instead of Friday) because he got sick. Students were livid, some tore it up and threw it away, others did it, all of them were angry with me. Didnít go back to this school ever again.

Or perhaps...

The new middle school teacher who loves technology and google classroom (subs canít access google classroom) who left no backup plans in the event a truck hits the pole carrying the cable that brings the internet to the school. Students donít know what to do, I donít know what to tell them to do, and the school has no information as to when the internet might be restored.

Or perhaps...

The teacher whose lesson plans were on an index card tucked into a book, that wasnít on her desk, that I and the department chair searched for, that I asked the first student in the first class ďwhat are you working on in class?Ē And they had no idea as they just finished up a unit. So I used her backup lesson plans and she went to the office upon her return (AM only assignment) so the principal didnít think she was incompetent. Too bad they already knew I couldnít find the lesson plans.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bagano1

Old 10-11-2019, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I take a picture of the lesson plans and keep it on my phone as a backup plan if it gets lost.
bagano1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

There is a middle school in my district the has a number of teachers who operate pretty much the same way. In addition to what you described, copies would have to be made before classes began for the day, multi page tests were not stapled together. It was just a mess. Fortunate I dont have to cover the school any longer.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

I might make a copy of the lesson plan
Old 10-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I might make a copy of the lesson plan, just in case you need to defend yourself later (add the conversations). I doubt if anything will come of it. He probably knows that it was his fault. Of course, I'd never sub for this teacher, again!
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-23-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I long term subbed for a guy's high school "science" (subject changed for personal anonymity) class once. It started a week before winter break began, and was set to end around the beginning of February. Since the week before winter break was just final exams, it was pretty straightforward with very little teaching involved, but the teacher assured me that he would create some kind of plan for his classes, which I was thankful for because he taught four different types of science courses and while I could have spent my winter break researching things to make a solid four week plan, even I knew his would probably be better, more informed, and more attuned to his class since he knew the kids better than I did and was an actual science teacher.

Well, sure enough. The break ends and the first day rolls around, and his lesson plan is one (1) ####ing coloring sheet. The dude never came back after that. I wish I were making this #### up. His classes also had high concentrations of integrated students with learning disabilities, so that was something nice to figure out on my own. So after work that day, I spent hours figuring out where his various classes were within the curriculum, and formed up a boring, but certainly manageable, lesson plan that saw me through the next month. Then the guy came back early, just in time to screw me out of long term pay. That was last year, and this year I refuse all jobs from him and act like he doesn't even exist. In situations like that, it always bothers me that I'm the one being paid less.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

SergeBlerge

Old 10-26-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

At that point, you just bag lots of his stuff and teach stuff your OWN way if you know it (this sounds like elementary school so I'm sure you'd know how the lesson). You look up kid-friendly youtube videos to fill the time (I love Berenstain Bears), and if there are holes you can read the kids a book from the class library, and even make up a lesson on it, just like write summary or something. At the end of the day you leave him a note telling him what you did, even if it wasn't 100% to his "instructions." He'll just have to deal with it.
It's during those times where you see what you're made of as a person, not even as a teacher. You improvise FOR YOURSELF, not for the school, who obviously hired this clown because he was probably cousins with an administrator or something of that sort.
I've had that happen before, it's very aggravating.
SergeBlerge is offline   Reply With Quote