Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

School Theme

>

L8 4 School

School Theme
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am getting a student next year who suffers from sensory deprivation disorder and so I'm trying to keep my classroom decor toned down. I think I am going back to basics...apples, chalkboards, etc. Any cute ideas you think I need to implement would be greatly appreciated!!!

L8 4 School is offline   Reply With Quote

jcmmomma

Classroom decor
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have access to an occupational therapist, they could provide you with quite a few ideas. We have used things like weighted vests, cushions to put on their seats, large tubes for them to crawl into for quiet time, etc. There are books about "Sensory Integration" that could also possibly provide you with some additional ideas.
As far as ideas for decor - I never followed the rules very well about presenting a sparse environment. My belief is that as long as the classroom is warm, inviting and feels like a home environment, all students will be able to be functional and successful. Just try to stay away from invigorating colors. I have used turquoise and brown one year, black and light blue another year, and the last several years I have used black with red and yellow accents since I have been doing a Disney theme. Good Luck! I love the sensory students because they can be such puzzles and keep me guessing.
jcmmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

colors
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What if you just stuck to maybe the primary colors like red, yellow and blue. I would keep it basic.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

larkinma

Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sensory kids are such a blast. I have worked with many sensory students and I never toned done my classroom for them. As you have to look at it the world won;t tone down because of one individual's need. I just integrate other things that will feed the sensory. Like my mom said (jcmmomma) things like vests, disco sits, fidgits, and in my room I have a huge bin filled with beans that children can sit in as a sensory choice. Have fun!!!!! Sensory kids are great!!!
larkinma is offline   Reply With Quote