Help

Kindergarten

Tracking print

>

cheerbaby

Tracking print
Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This week we are really focusing on tracking print. Distinguishing letters, words, sentences. Are there any neat little "tricks" or "tools" you use in your classroom that your kids enjoy?

cheerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found these adorable mini wands at Lakeshore. I've attached a photo. They are fun to use to track the print and find words etc. Another fun tool are those creepy witch fingers. These are good for reading in books. If you're looking to do this on a pocket chart a fly swatter with a hole cute in it works well for "swatting" words.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerbaby

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These are great! I think I am going to have my students each make their own pointer using a picture of a finger pointing and a tongue depresser. This way they have ownership towards it! Thanks for the witch finger idea!
cheerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

KteacherGA

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use the witch fingers as well. They are WONDERFUL. I use the glow in the dark ones and tell my students they are MAGIC reading fingers. We go in the dark bathroom so they can see that they glow and really are magic. They work wonders and the kids LOVE to get them out and use them.

To distinguish letters, words, and sentences I use a wipe off chart with markers of different colors and/or highlighter tape of different colors (one color for a letter, one for a word, one for a sentence) and let the students take turns finding a letter, a word, and a sentence on the page.
KteacherGA is offline   Reply With Quote

ReadingTchr28

Old 01-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not so much tracking print but distinguishing words,sentences etc...

My kids love coming to the overhead..so similar to the poster ahead of me. We'll write a sentence together. I'll write it on the overhead then we'll use a different color and shape to find a letter, word, sentence etc. They do it at their seat and students come to the overhead to do it for the class.

ReadingTchr28 is offline   Reply With Quote

cjr

pointers
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use chopsticks as reading pointers everyone has their own.cheap and inexpensive and you can decorate
cjr is offline   Reply With Quote

smitty509

personal pointers
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I attended a workshop this summer and the presenter had a make-and-take - we all made a set of mini pointers using coloured popsicle sticks, a glue gun and any little trinket to decorate the top - wooden frogs, butteflies, flowers, etc. I scour through the dollar store in the craft section and find all kinds of things. This past holiday season, I found packages of little wooden ghosts - for Halloween pointers, and little Santas, reindeer, snowmen, etc. for Christmas and Winter! The kids love them and they are too easy to make! Changing them up often is exciting and renews interest!
smitty509 is offline   Reply With Quote

ktchr89

my kids love this...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

during morning message I will circle a letter, word or sentence. They tell me if it is a "little letter", "whopper word" or a "super size sentence". Make sense???
ktchr89 is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

For tracking print I use fun stir sticks as pointers or for the kids who really struggle with this, I used a hole punch to make little fun foam circles, we put one little circle under each word then as we read the sentence over and over we touch each foam circle as we read the word.

For words and letters, I cut magnifing glass shapes out of cardstock and cut the middle out then laminated them, I would ask them to find a letter or a word with in it.
ily is online now   Reply With Quote

momofmax

Old 01-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Seasonal erasers on unsharpened pencils are fun individual pointers, too. And fairly inexpensive for student gifts.

momofmax is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I always begin with these plastic green witch like fingers that students can slip on their pointer finger. They LOVE them--and usually this is in October so it fits well with the season. You can make a variety of pointers using jumbo sticks too--just glue on (use hot glue gun so they will stick good) anything you can think of ---gingerbread men cut out of foam, jewels, feathers, googly eyes, etc.

I also always begin with a lesson about "meatball" spaces versus "spaghetti" spaces, explaining that words have meatball spaces between them and letters within the words have spaghetti spaces between them---I draw examples on the whiteboard or on chart paper and they seem to really grab onto this---though I always have a few children who then 'draw' in the meatball spaces when writing in their journals ! I have to make certain to remind them that the 'meatballs' are imaginary!
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

smitty509

jacque/Wa/K-1
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love the idea of meatball and spaghetti spaces! I am going to give that one a try!
smitty509 is offline   Reply With Quote