Help

Kindergarten

Map skills in kinder

>

abckidsek

Map skills in kinder
Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A new year...a new topic. Our last curriculum review for soc. studies in kinder added map skills. I am lucky to be part of the proteacher postcard exchange across the USA and am using that as a springboard to begin our discussion. Hoping others have some ideas about this topic.

abckidsek is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Throughout the year, we make maps of various things - our classroom, the playground, the school. We make a model of our school using blocks first. I put butcher paper on floor under the blocks, then trace around the blocks to make our first map. We read maps of the US and of the world throughout the year for various reasons. Whenever you can pull it out, it's helpful.

We listened to "The Spooky Walk" song during Halloween and drew a map of what they talk about in the song. You could do the same thing with the song, "I'm Going on a Bear Hunt" by Dr. Jean.

I enjoy talking to my students about Earth Day. Throughout the year, I try to refer to maps. We talk about how the blue is a symbol for water, and the green for land. I always ask them what they see more of - water or land. For Earth Day, I have the students try tp paint a map of Earth with watercolors. I remind them that there should be more blue than green. After the paper is dry, I find the best section of their paper and trace a 10" over that section (paper plates are easy to trace). We cut out the circle, glue it to black paper. We use a white crayon to write a sentence about Earth Day under the "globe". It's cute, and we made our own representation of a globe!

One year, I worked with a 3rd grade teacher on a fun project. We were already meeting as reading buddies, so I gave each of the 3rd grade buddies 3 eggs to hide for their assigned student. The eggs were labeled with my students' names also so my students couldn't randomly take someone else's eggs. Each 3rd grader had a copy of our playground map. It was the same one I had generated with my students whole group. I had just shrunk it. They had to map where each egg was hidden, and my students had to try to find their eggs using their buddy and the map for help. It was cute, and really fun!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

Molly's Mom

Wow SueHue, Nice ideas!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was luck enough to participate in a PT postcard exchange and a Gingerfriend exchange. I began with a big map of the US. I began sharing one GF a day, beginning with our own state. We spoke about our own city, inside of our state, inside of our country. I made a book with a map of the USA as the cover. With the introduction of each GF, we would locate their state on the big map using directions ie. north of Texas, east to whatever-you get the idea, then place a gold star on that state. My kids were able to grasp on maps N is top, S is bottom, E right, W left., blue for water, green other colors for land, white for ice/snow (ok it was around Christmas and we also talked about the North and South poles.) I was amazed at the amount of map skills that they were able to grasp! One of the parents went on a trip over vacation and commented today how smart her child was that she knew so much about the map! I made a book from the GFs and placed it in our class library. That's usually the 1st book taken out! We are now sharing one postcard a day and following the same routine. The map is displayed in our room with strings from the state out to the mounted postcard. The kids LOVE it! I love the egg hunt idea from pp.
Molly's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks Mollys Mom!

BTW, the egg activity was an Easter egg hunt...I seemed to have forgotten to mention that!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

abckidsek

GF sounds great!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the GBM (gingerbread man) in the beginning of the year. We bake him and leave him in the cafeteria kitchen to be baked. When we go back the next day he is gone and leaves a note in the cooler. These notes send us around the school all week to find him finally on Friday back in our room. You just gave me an idea to incorporate a school map into that week.
How did you initiate the GF exchange?

abckidsek is offline   Reply With Quote

Nikobako

Great idea
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hadn't thought of using the exchange in that way. Thanks.
Nikobako is offline   Reply With Quote

KinderWood

Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach K and also do map skills. How do you become a part of the postcard exchange group?
KinderWood is offline   Reply With Quote

ihokeypokey

Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How do you use map skills, please?

Thank you beforehand.

Last edited by ihokeypokey; 09-13-2013 at 06:19 PM..
ihokeypokey is offline   Reply With Quote