Help

Kindergarten

student won't work HELP/ADVICE

>

emgirl

student won't work HELP/ADVICE
Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who just sits there doesn't do anything. Any advice? I started sending his unfinished work home but I don't know what else I can really do. He misses recess on a regular basis and seems oblivious. What have you done in this situation?

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

k-tchr

That is a challenge
Old 11-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried incentives? I "pay" my students pennies about this time of year. They earn them for completing assignments, using good listening skills, etc. They learn about money, counting and trading in for different coins. On Fridays, I have a store where they can buy prizes. Last year, I started it in October. This year, I haven't needed it, but will start soon to teach money skills.

Does he have any issues going on at home that may be causing him to not really care about school? How supportive is his family? Good luck. I had a similar student last year. Very capable, but hard to motivate.
k-tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you got any idea why they don't do the work? Is it too hard for them? Do they understand what they are being asked to do? Can they repeat the directions back to you? Are they too distracted? Is there a problem going on at home or at recess? Do they have anxiety? There could be a million reasons why. I would start by having a private conversation with the child and asking them why they aren't doing their work and what can you do together to help them get it done.

I guess my biggest concern would be why. Once you figure out why they aren't doing it then you can start to problem solve and come up with ways to help them. Obviously consequences of sending home or missing recess aren't working for them. They may need positive reinforcement rather than a negative consequence.

Good luck
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Usually when I have a student that won't do anything it is because they do not feel successful and what I am asking them to do. In that case I need to give them some work they can feel successful completing before I give them the work the rest of the class is doing. I also find these children do not get praise at home and think of themselves as failures.

This year I have a student that someday does great and other days plays helpless. I think he might have a language processing problem. I want to rule that out before taking away to much of his free time.

I know this isn't much help and it is really frustrating to deal with this!
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Mary-Jane

Mary-Jane

counselor
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

rubyanne, Have you considered that your student may have a rough homelife? If there is alcohol or other drug abuse, domestic violence or abuse of the child in the home, it may be easier to work some days than others. Try asking your student if this is an easy work day or a hard to work day. If there has been a problem at home the night before, chances are it will be a hard to work day.