Help

Kindergarten

interactive word wall

>

SheriTeach83

interactive word wall
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So our literacy coordinator took a look at my word wall today and told me that it was too high up for my Ks.... (I have it on the closet doors). She says a word wall especially for K should be interactive-they should be able to take the word wall word from the wall, and bring it back to their seats to write. She said some teachers (not in my school) use magnets or velcro. She recommended putting the words on my dri erase magnetic board. She also wants my words even bigger than what they already are so that if your in the back of the room you can see the word.... Can anyone help me out on this? Any advice? Any attachments? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks

SheriTeach83 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachK

Old 01-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made a mini word wall for my students. I got the idea on PT! I have one of those 3 fold project boards and I velcro the words on the wall. I fold it up and put it away, the kids now pull it out during writing time, when they are playing "teacher" and when we work with sight words during meeting. It is getting worn from over use. The kids can move it wherever they need it or they just pull the words off. My advice, make 2!
TeachK is offline   Reply With Quote

DebK

DebK
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of my words I did this year in 200 pt. I mount them on colored cardstock. I walked all over the room to make sure they could read them. I put colored and laminated book cards (like library cards) at the bottom of the cabinets with a-z on each one. Then I place extra copies of the word wall words in them for students to come get and put back as need for interactive writing. You could also give them a laminated copy of the word wall words to use at their desks.
DebK is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

word walls
Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One year I wrote all our word wall words on those library pockets, then I made and laminated about 3 copies of the word on sentence strips. I mounted the pockets on the word wall and put the sentence strip words inside. The tricky part is that your word wall must be low enough for them to reach, but then the kids can go find the word they need and take the word out of the pocket and back to their seat. This worked well because then no words were lost and if more than one kid needed a word there weren't any fights over who has a word!

I typically now just make individual mini word walls for each student to keep in their journal.
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Seamus

Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My word wall is backed on felt with velco on the words to make it interactive. I have the letters blocked off into different boxes (some letters share a box). From there each word in a particular box is printed on different colored card stock and laminated. I got this idea from a Word Wall box for teachers... It helps my students identify word easier as well as help me to assist them if needed.

Jen

Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Paolo

Magnetic word wall?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have more chalkboard space than we need, so one solution is make a metal chalkboard into a magnetic word wall. It's great for making the word wall interactive.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thriller293

Word Wall
Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In the book "Interactive Word Walls", it suggests that you NOT laminate the words on the word wall because it can cause glare from certain spots in the room.
Thriller293 is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My word walls are not at level to my students because I got a room that was not originally a K room. I will have the boards lowered next year. My alphabet and sight words are all on magnets. I bought magnets that you use for name tags and cut them up to use as backing and wrote my words on tag board. I can take the words down for students to read in a center or if they need help with spelling a word. My math wall is on velcro. I also have a language arts wall that is not on magnets or velcro but it is considered interactive because the students illustrate the words.

Some of the teachers at my school use velcro on science fair boards so that the wall can be put away if there is limited space in the classroom. I do have a picture somewhere. I'll try to find it.
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

kteacher/md

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use magnets on the back of cardstock. I write the words with black marker. My kids do go over to get the words to write and put them away by themselves. If you don't have a magnetic surface, you can also go to an auto store and get a oil pan to lean against a wall. They are like a big cookie sheet.
kteacher/md is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Last year I had floor to ceiling windows on one wall so I used poster putty to stick the words to the window as we learned them. This year I have no windows so I am using a pocket chart.

ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

A Town

Individual Word Walls
Old 01-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a copy of our word wall for each child that they pull out during writing time. It is on card stock. I simply write the new words learned in the boxes to update it as needed.
A Town is offline   Reply With Quote

jbird71

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have 2 different word walls one is for sight words, color words and number words. This one is not interactive, it is large enough for the whole class to see, but the children also have these words in their writing folders. The other word wall is my theme word wall. This one I use pocket charts for and change out for different themes and the children can go over and get the words out of the pocket chart when they need to spell them. I also found mini monthly word word walls called journal pals from a back issues of Mailbox that I put in their writing folders.
jbird71 is offline   Reply With Quote

heav524

caution!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have an interactive word wall that students are allowed to manipulate, I use one of my dry erase boards that my husband made a grid on with painters tape. The first year I had it I was amazed at how much more interested my students actually were in my word wall and how they seemed to take ownership of it and USE it. So imagine my surprise when the second year I found a few students who didn't really care HOW to use it, they just wanted an excuse to go and walk to the word wall and remove the words. They weren't really using it as a tool, just a toy. There are sometimes when I have to limit the use, or tell them that they can only use their person word walls (they each have one in their writing folder). I also use the idea of "taking a picture" of the word in your head and then going back to their seat to write it. This eliminates the problem of several students needing the same word at the same time.
heav524 is offline   Reply With Quote