Help

Kindergarten

Math Curriculum

>

areindl

Math Curriculum
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there-I teach at a small Christian School and we need to look at new math curriculums for next year as our current one will be out of print. What do you use? What's your favorite? What do you not like? Thanks!

areindl is offline   Reply With Quote

kirerik

Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in a Lutheran School. We use Saxon Math up to 4th Grade. After that I believe they use Envision. You have to supplement the Saxon (but you would do that with anything!) but I like all of the hands on activities and the fact that there is something to send home everyday. It keeps the parents involved.
kirerik is offline   Reply With Quote
firstyear200

firstyear200

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like Saxon, but of course always supplement as well.

SueHue

Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had Saxon until last school year. I loved Saxon. In K, Saxon comes with tons of manipulatives and a fantastic calendar. The lessons are teacher friendly. They allowed students to explore manipulatives before learning with them. However, there are many standards that weren't covered in the curriculum. We had to supplement to teach adding and subtracting, numbers past 12, and more. The other grades levels had so many standards that weren't presented in their Saxon math curriculum. 5th grade was using book 76, which is really supposed to be 7 grade math. Since it was written to be a jr. high book, it wasn't user friendly to 5th grade. Our district's major problem was that students weren't prepared for standardized testing. So, as of the 08-09 school year, we adopted EnVision. It seems to be virtually the opposite of Saxon. It really does cover all the standards of our state. It has better assessments for each unit/topic, and given benchmarks for every few months. It uses many higher level thinking skills, which makes it difficult for less advanced students. It is highly technology based, and very advanced in teaching vocabulary. It can be difficult to very difficult to teach. It sometimes moves too fast for students (in 3rd grade, students are supposed to learn their multiplication tables 2 per day - so 6's & 7's are in ONE day!!). You will need to suppliment. In other grades, that means math fact practice. In kinder, it's counting and numeral writing we've had to supplement so far. You have to preteach and reteach a lot. Also, the lessons can be loooong if you try to teach it as it is written. Even our math coach has said there is no way to teach it all in the allotted time, and we had to figure out how to shorten everything. So, our students don't get to review as we wish. However, because of the higher level thinking skills used on a daily basis, our students did well on their standardized tests last year. In fact, there were many comments that the test was EASY...I can't imagine how the 2nd-5th grade teachers felt hearing that!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote