Help

BusyBoard

What Makes a Great Lead Teacher?

>

scateacher

What Makes a Great Lead Teacher?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so excited that my principal asked me to be the lead teacher of our 3rd grade team. I have a FANTASTIC group of ladies and want to continue to strengthen friendships, provide a positive workplace environment, and build team morale. My principal constantly mentions what a strong team we are and I want the team to continue to thrive in the upcoming school year. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have for me to support and encourage my team.

What are things you appreciate about your lead teacher? What are things you wish your lead teacher did? What are things you do as a lead teacher you feel are successful?

Thanks in advance for your help!

scateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Lead teacher
Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Someone who really knows their stuff.

Can lead a meeting without distractions and stupid games. Get to the point.

Makes useful suggestions.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

clear communication
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great leaders are organized professional and communicate objectively. Please share detailed agendas with clear notes...especially dates.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

A Lead Teacher...
Old 06-02-2015, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

brings treats or something to nibble to each meeting...fruit, veggies, pretzels, etc.

begins meetings on time with an agenda (and sticks to it) so the meeting is over quickly...and doesn't let the conversation get side-tracked.

encourages trying and sharing new things, but not too many...overload is not a good thing.

makes sure everyone gets an opportunity to share and contribute without making anyone feel left-out.

keeps minutes so a follow-up email can be sent summarizing the meeting...also sends a copy to the principal.

delegates some responsibilities so not everything (like field trip planning) is always the responsiblity of just the lead teacher.

asks for input...doesn't make all the final decisions...doesn't come to the meeting with the final outcome already a foregone conclusion.

tries new ideas, but doesn't try something just because it is new...the old stuff that is tried and true and works should not be dumped for something that "might" work.

knows that not everyone does things the same way...gives opportunities to others to do things the way they work best for them.

when others complain about another in private, encourages the complainer to speak with that person before getting involved or offers to mediate but remain silent.
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Lead Teachers
Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Keep meeting as short as possible. Try to complete business and then if everyone wants to socialize that's great. However if someone needs to call it a day they can go when the work is done.

Serve treats. Maybe everyone on the team could take a turn.

Try to hold to a specific day or time when team business is done. That makes it easier for everyone to make doctor appointments and hair appointments on other days of the week.

Rather that a short meeting send email when possible.

Stay positive and encouraging.

Stay organized so you can be helpful as possible.

Good luck!

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Librarian here
Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What I appreciate about one of our top notch lead teachers is that she keeps me in the loop, even though she is lead for a subject not used much in the library. It makes me feel as if I am also part of the teaching team (which, as a teacher I am. Another lead teacher does not include me, yet she is lead for a subject I do teach).

Blcw
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

scateacher

Thank You!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You gals are awesome! I really appreciate you taking a few moments to offer suggestions. Here's to another successful school year!
scateacher is offline   Reply With Quote