Help

BusyBoard

Raising Morale and Building a Team Spirit

>

Sophianna

Raising Morale and Building a Team Spirit
Old 06-04-2015, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in a great school in an urban area. In the past couple of years, we have had two negative colleagues leave our building... but let's be clear. These colleagues are lovely people, and I get along with them both quite well on a personal level, and have even enjoyed a cocktail or two with them. But inside the building and outside of their classroom, they are not good for our staff morale. They speak negatively about the administration (and trust me, the administration can for sure be a piece of work) and are generally ill spoken about things we have to do, which makes it that much harder to do said things. Anyway, here is the true question:

What are some ideas to build team spirit and morale?

I have considered suggesting secret pals (I did this at a school once and loved it); monthly happy hours or other events; teaming up as "buddies" with a different grade...

Any other ideas? Or if you've done secret pals, has it worked well? I know the main issues that go along with this is the difference in what people consider being a good pal... but I've had such a good experience with it. I have also tried to think of "guidelines" for this activity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeach_IN

Socials
Old 06-04-2015, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do some staff games and socials. I put together a Trivia Challenge, Name That Tune game, at the beginning of next year we are doing a picture scavenger hunt. Our teachers are very competitive, in a good and fun way. Just some little things throughout the year to have a little fun and work together. They get our mind off of all of the stress and work that goes along with teaching. We also do Secret Santa and Spring Secret Buddies.
KTeach_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

scateacher

Teambuilding Committee
Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the idea of secret pals! We had a teambuilding committee that planned special activities twice a quarter. Things like:
-putting a banana in our box with a note asking us to bring it after school to build a banana split where they would have ice cream and all the toppings to go with it
-taking a personality quiz and discussing how knowing eachother's personality types would be helpful in the workplace environment (this one was especially helpful to me since I was new to the school)
-fun things like breaking us up in groups have having us complete a STEM-type challenge.. Ours included several straws and only a few strips of tape, the challenge was trying to get the straw and tape structure to hold a tennis ball for 10 seconds without it touching the ground

The meetings were always fairly short and something we looked forward to because they were short and sweet and we were having fun with friends after a long day. That being said, I think they're only going to do it once a quarter this coming year. Kudos to you for taking the initiative in making your school a great place to be!
scateacher is offline   Reply With Quote