BusyBoard

Scripps Spelling Bee

>

tia

Scripps Spelling Bee
Old 12-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

help!

for the first time ever, our district (and our school) has decided to participate in the Scripps Bee. (we've always done a district-wide for each grade spelldown---i believe they wrote the word down and held it up)

i am in charge of coordinating for our school--and surprise! i have TONS of questions that are s...l...ow....l...y getting answered.

i have read the website top to bottom (obviously, though, i haven't read it ALL).

i'm trying to get all our teachers the info they need so we can get started in our rooms/grade levels and then get set-up for the school bee.

what i can't find: HOW is the bee administered? (How do you give the words and how do they share the spellings?)

i would like for us to do it as close to the actual way as possible. (from what i've seen--clips of the bee and in movies! it seems like judges say the word and then contestants SPELL it--no writing) for those that have participated: is this correct? THANKS!!!!

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

spelling bee
Old 12-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, there is a "pronouncer" and participants spell the word orally.

We emphasize to say the word, spell the word, say the word again. So judges know if they are hearing the correct word and then when they have finished spelling it.
Ours is a panel of 5 judges.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-11-2016, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was out school pronouncer for a few years. Say the word, give it in a sentence so no question on homophones/context. Repeat word. Student spells or can ask for definition/origin. No writing. We had a timer, a dictionary person, a recorder (in case questions came up as to whether it was spelled correctly the first time) and another judge.

Make sure the pronouncer has the list ahead of time and can practice. Makes her S/he doesn't speak with an accent.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

thanks for the info
Old 12-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

any other tips?

any schools do the Vocabulary portion?
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Spelling Bee
Old 12-12-2016, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am the organizer and pronouncer for our spelling bee.

I say the word, use it in the sentence, then say the word again. The students spell their words ORALLY, no writing.

We have two judges. All three of us have paper and pencil and write EXACTLY what the student says as they spell so there is no question as to what they said.

Our spelling bee is held in the gym. Before the "audience" (parents and other students) come to the gym, I have the participants come 20-30 minutes early. I have them practice using the microphone, go over the rules, and just generally help try to get their jitters out. I always give a little pep talk about how they are already all winners because they won their class spelling bee. (Our participants are third and fourth graders, so they are very new to this competition and can take misspelling and getting "out" in the spelling bee very hard.)

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Vicary

Record it?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Back in the Dark Ages we used to have the contest recorded. Sometimes parents in the audience would challenge something, and it was useful to be able to play it back and confirm. I don't know if there are rules today about videotaping.

I totally agree about using a pronouncer who does not have a regional accent.
Vicary is offline   Reply With Quote

scateacher

Totally Agree!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I totally agree with everything the previous posters said. We had 1 pronouncer and 4 judges. All of the judges wrote the letters that were being said by the contestant. The pronouncer's sole responsibility was to pronounce the words and tell if the speller was correct/incorrect. Some of those words are tricky so I would definitely ask the pronouncer to practice beforehand.

How did the pronouncer know if the words were spelled correctly? Well, I sat to the right of her with my left hand flat on the table (trying to look as natural as possible). I kept my thumb separated from the rest of my fingers. If a word was spelled incorrectly I slid my thumb over and kept all my fingers close together. It was our non-verbal way of communicating. It worked very well for us.

We learned from the mistakes of the previous year's spelling bee. The judges didn't seem to have a system down and were having conversations loudly in front of the contestants and audience to determine whether words were spelled correctly or not. It was ran poorly. However, I feel that the new procedures we set in place helped the spelling bee run more smoothly than any I have seen previously.

I'm sure you'll do great organizing your school spelling bee! It looks like there are several of us who have experience so be sure to ask away if you think of more questions along the way!
scateacher is offline   Reply With Quote