Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís August! Whatís Everyone Reading?

>

trasie

Itís August! Whatís Everyone Reading?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:05 AM

August? Already? 😳

Please share the books youíve been reading for the past month.

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

swalters

Some
Old 08-01-2020, 05:14 AM

The Book of Lost Friends
The Giver of Stars (loved)
Dear Edward
Night Boat to Tangier
Lilac Girls
swalters is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-01-2020, 05:34 AM

The Girl with Seven Names, Lee. Not a favorite. English is not her first language and the book deserved a better editor. I read her escape from North Korea for my book group.

Heavy, Laymon. I listened to him read his own memoir, life as a Black American male. I liked it and learned a lot. It made me think.

The Vanishing Half, Bennett. Yay, fiction. Also for book group, I loved this story about fair twins raised in the South. One lives a Black life and the other “passes.” So much food for thought and beautifully written. Highly recommend.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 08-01-2020, 05:36 AM

In my car, I listened to:
Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T Sullivan
No Judgements by Meg Cabot
I am just starting Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

To keep me company when walking:
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
Are You There God? Itís me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Sisters and Secrets by Jennifer Ryan
Lost and Found Bookshop by Susan Wiggs
I just started A Fool's Gold Wedding by Susan Mallery

I read or am reading:
Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes
Under an Alaskan Sky by Jennifer Snow
Moral Compass by Danielle Steel
And just started A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I read a lot but it is all over the place!
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 08-01-2020, 06:05 AM

Iím in the middle of The Wayward Pines series.

I also read the 8th book in the Dresden Files.

The Music Shop was a good read. The ending made me cry, in a good way.

T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 AM

I finished Tinseltown by William Mann. I listened to a podcast about the murder of silent film director William Desmond Taylor and became interested in that period in Hollywood.

I reread All Creatures Great and Small and All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot. These are two of my favorite books of all time.

I downloaded March, John Lewis's graphic novel about the civil rights movement but haven't started it yet.

I also downloaded Citizens of London by Lynn Olson but haven't started it yet.

I have others in my queue but don't know when I will get to them.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 AM

I am almost done with Peace Talks by Jim Butcher. It is the latest in the Dresden Files series. We fans have been waiting a long time for a new book in this series. And the great thing is another one comes out in September. I can see that this book is leading right into that one. I love this series!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My Books
Old 08-01-2020, 06:54 AM

I love this thread! I was looking forward to it.

Towards the end of July, I read 2 books about Amanda Knox. I love true crime and I wanted to get different perspectives. I read one that covered the case, both sides, and then I read her memoir.

I also just finished Such a Fun Age. It was not what I thought it was going to be, but I did like it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on GoodReads.

Right now, yesterday, I started Prairie Lotus by Linda Sue Park, which is one of the books for the Global Read Aloud. It's good. I'm planning on finishing it today and then reading Valentine, which was one of the books on Jenna Bush Hager's book club list. It looks so good. I can't wait to get started.

I also have a whole slew of books I picked up from the library curbside pick up and more still coming!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 AM

I love this thread! I need some new titles to put on my hold list, so thanks for sharing everyone!

Darling Rose Gold: about a mother with Munchausen (so?) by proxy and her daughter as she deals with the consequences of her motherís actions as an adult. It was good, but a little improbable. I read afterwards that it was somewhat based on a recent case with a similar situation.

Ask Again Yes: spans several decades in the lives of a couple of police officers who are neighbors, their wives, and their kids who are friends, and how their lives intersect over the years. Iím not quite done but I really love it so far.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 08-01-2020, 07:35 AM

I am stuck on Cozy Mysteries right now. I just finished the Victoria Square Series by Lorraine Bartlett. I am now reading The Inn at Holiday Bay series by Kathi Daley. I am listening to Mastering Your Mean Girl by Melissa Ambrosini on my daily walk.

sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

books read
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 AM

One of my book clubs chose Golden Poppies by Laila Ibrahim. A gal from my other club mentioned that she read it and then discovered that it was the third in a trilogy and she recommended reading at least the second one first because it did a good job of introducing the characters.

So, I read Mustard Seeds, the second book, by Laila Ibrahim-really good. Then I read Golden Poppies and then I went back and read the first in the series, Yellow Crocus. The reading is very enjoyable, not long and laborious. I really enjoyed the 3 books. They were fictional pieces that reminded me a bit of the nonfiction stories in The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. They were stories of different individual's migration from the southern states. I was excited to see in my research that Isabel Wilkerson has a new book coming out this week called, Caste: The Origins of Our Discontent.
These stories also brought up the idea of 'passing' into the white world that I was intrigued by in last month's read, The Vanishing Half.(another recommended book).

I also read the Henna Artist by Alka Joshi. I really enjoyed reading that one too.

I enjoyed the Giver of Stars. This is another story of the pack librarians. I enjoyed it a bit less that The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. The Bookwoman exposed me to more new ideas like the pack libraries themselves, the phenomenon of the Blue Race, and the absolute poverty of the citizens who were served in the mountains by the pack librarians. The Giver of Stars focused on the librarians themselves and less on the people living in the mountains.

My fun read for the month was the Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley. This fits a pattern of books that I seem to be drawn to lately. The main character is a senior who is dealing with the loss of a loved one and is trying to become part of a new way of life and learning to trust others.

My next read is by Lisa See, The Island of Sea Women. I also will be exploring Isabel Wilkerson's new book, Caste: The Origins of Our Discontent.

I truly love this thread.

Amiga, I enjoyed The Girl with Seven Names. I found the writing to be authentic and appreciated that it wasn't polished. I have also enjoyed her different talks that can be found in many places. No judgement

Last edited by luvmycat; 08-01-2020 at 08:29 AM..
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

books
Old 08-01-2020, 08:22 AM

I love non-fiction, and have a stack by my bedside. Right now I am reading these three books:

ēA slip of the Keyboard: Collected Non-Fiction by Terry Pratchett
ēSapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. I had started this book a year ago, but DH decided unilaterally to lend it to a friend who only recently returned it.
ēThe JMT and Me: Backpacking the John Muir Trail with Mules by Lorraine Stiles. This book was a surprise gift from amiga13. The book was self-published by a local woman and in need of a better editor, but the content is quite interesting to read.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Books
Old 08-01-2020, 08:28 AM

In June I read Breakfast with Buddha, which I enjoyed. Right now I am in the middle of Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner. I never finished Island of the Sea Women, so I will try to go back to that as well. I am not a fast reader, and I don't like to have multiple books going at once. I also have realized that I really don't enjoy audio books very much. I know, I'm weird.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-01-2020, 08:37 AM

I waited so long to get Big Summer from the library! I normally enjoy her books, but I just could not get into this one. Just too much about being overweight, social media, influencers, and more stuff I am not in the least interested in. I guess I'm too old! The loan expired before I finished it, and I have no desire to reserve it again. I'm glad I didn't pay for it!

marguerite2

Old 08-01-2020, 08:54 AM

The Daughters of Erietown by Connie Schultz
The War Outside by Monica Hesse
Cilkaís Journey by Heather Morris
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Books
Old 08-01-2020, 08:59 AM

Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King Do you enjoy a good scare? I finished this book and enjoyed the short stories in this book.

Dutch House by A. Patchett I just started this book and so far it is holding my interest. I was on hold for the audio and the book for 3 weeks. The book became available first two days ago.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinks

Books
Old 08-01-2020, 09:11 AM

I tried to read Little Fires Everywhere-I could not get into it.

Now, I am reading The Engineer's Wife-it's based on a true story about the Brooklyn Bridge. It's really good so far.
teachinks is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

My list
Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 AM

The Vanishing Half- Ditto what Amiga said.

Spiced and Iced- cozy mystery I posted about yesterday. I have read over half, and would recommend it. It was free yesterday.

Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel. I agree with KatieViolet.

mobituaries by Mo Rocca. He writes obituaries about people or things no longer with us. It is an account of people or things that impacted our lives. It asks who gets remembered and why. There is also a podcast by this name.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-01-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I tried to read Little Fires Everywhere-I could not get into it.
I did read this, but I didn't think it was as great as everyone else did. I was just kind of meh.

Runnergirl04

My July Reads
Old 08-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Little Fires Everywhere
The Namesake
This is How it Always is (this was emotionally tough)
Before we Were Yours (my favorite)

Right now I am reading The Library, but I canít seem to get into it.
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Books
Old 08-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Right now, I am reading The Sea Glass Cottage by RaeAnne Thayne. It is written in the style of Debbie Macomber, whose books I also enjoy. It is light, mindless reading with interesting characters.

The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate is up next. I read Before We Were Yours by her and loved it.

What You Wish For by Katherine Center. She is a new author to me, but I heard her on Facebook Live and loved her. Her philosophy of reading with joy is something I definitely embrace.

The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel. This is a WW II historical fiction book about a forger of documents so Jewish people can escape to the Nazis.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM

At the beginning of July I finished
The Splendid and the Vile By Larson. It was non-fiction about Winston Churchill in the years 1940-1941. I liked it. It was a very long difficult read but through first hand accounts the reader is able to see Churchill’s leadership in a time of crisis. And also some of his more quirky behaviors

Into the Darkest Corner . by Haynes. It is an older book, fiction, about a woman who was in an abusive relationship and the aftermath. A little predictable, but OK.

My Dark Vanessa by Russel. This book, fiction, was very troubling and I wouldn’t recommend it for most people. It is a story of a fifteen year old girl who gets into a relationship with her pedophile 45 year old teacher. It is graphic at times and I needed to stop reading It several times. The book alternates between 15 year old Vanessa and 32 year old Vanessa which allows the reader to see how much she was damaged.

I just started The Last Widow.

Last edited by hand; 08-01-2020 at 11:25 AM..
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Three Good Books!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:51 AM

I read The Other Mrs. by Mary Kubica (thriller). I think this is the best of all of her books that I've read! (I THINK I may have read all her books...?) Several points where I thought I had it figured out but then didn't and then did, but was still surprised!

I also read Conviction by Denise Mina (it was a Reese W book club book). Pretty good thriller (sort of...more adventurous mystery..?) but the main character was also darkly funny at times! I had meant to copy a short passage to share with you but didn't get around to it...something about cracking a sugar bowl on someone's head and then ripping kicking/opening her (buttwad) husband's suitcase and cutting her leg and then getting blood all over the place, but gladly on someone's dress. sounds less funny when i write it. A definite recommend.

It's been a while since I finished this one, but i don't think i posted about it:
The Library Book by Susan Orlean. I had pinned it a couple years ago, checked it out last summer, held it until it was due, and then returned it when i got busy with start of school. I checked it out again because I had to read a book about books for my reading challenge. I THOUGHT it was about some HUGE library fire in LA in the 80's. well, it was, but it was so much more than that (she really does meander in topics but meaningfully). it's about how libraries have changed and how branches work and all the jobs in a library and some of the first librarians., and also the mystery of who/how the fire was started...it was quite interesting! (that comes from one who does not typically read nonfiction) i laughed, i cried, i said AWWWWW...
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

annie_g
Old 08-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I waited so long to get Big Summer from the library! I normally enjoy her books, but I just could not get into this one. Just too much about being overweight, social media, influencers, and more stuff I am not in the least interested in. I guess I'm too old!
I'm struggling a bit with this one, but it's for our school book club, so I am slogging through.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 08-01-2020, 10:35 AM

I guess this is the week for re-reading books:

A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow The launch for her Kate Sugak mystery/crime series.
This is my book club's August pick and it's a pleasure to get reacquainted with Kate.

Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya Love this book and his writing. Wonderful classic.

New pick for me:
Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris, author of Chocolat, so far I am enjoying the story and her writing.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Tia
Old 08-01-2020, 10:39 AM

I have to agree about The Library Book. I found it so interesting and I usually shy away from non-fiction books. You are right how she writes about the fire but touches upon other areas. It is all connected. I read it last month. If anyone has not read it, try it.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Old 08-01-2020, 10:44 AM

Children’s literature:
A Door in the Wall
A Wrinkle in Time
Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
I loved all of these!

Adult books:
A Woman is No Man- I loved this!
Seven Strategies for Highly Effective Readers
Murder at the White House
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Old 08-01-2020, 10:48 AM

Sisters of War by Lana Kortchik - it the story of a family living in Soviet Kiev during the German Invasion during WWII

The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar - the story of the female pilots who helped shuttle aircraft around the US during WWII

Someone Knows and After Anna - both by Lisa Scottoline - they are both sort of mysteries, but not really "who done its". Easy reads and entertaining.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Recess

Latest book
Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 AM

The Lives of Edie Pritchard by Larry Watson was just released on July 21. I have enjoyed many of this books. He's my sister-in-law's brother-in-law so I know him personally.
Recess is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Lisa Scottoline
Old 08-01-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Someone Knows and After Anna
So last summer, I read a book by Lisa Scottoline and LOVED it. It was about a teacher who ended up using a sperm donor and later suspects her sperm donor might be arrested in a murder. I can't remember the name, but it was really good!

Then, during quarantine, I read After Anna and LOVED it.

I just got Someone Knows from the library and hope to read it soon. I have a few other books that are due before it, so I need to finish those first.

sonoma

Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 PM

I loved Lilac Girls.

Just finished The House of Kennedy.

Starting Too Much and Never Enough
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 PM

I just started reading This Tender Land. I'm about 150 pages in (it's over 400 pages) and I really like it so far - it's different. It's about a group of kids who run away from a Native American boarding school in the 1920's.

Other books from July were:

Home Before Dark - Riley Sager - I've liked a couple of his books (they're primarily suspense/horror) I didn't love this one. It's about a woman who moves into a house that is the subject of a book of fiction her father wrote when she was young and everyone in the community believes it's haunted and cursed.

The Last Time I Lied - Riley Sager - I enjoyed this one. It's about a young woman who attended a summer camp as a child and her 3 cabin-mates disappeared one night. She revisits the camp as an adult counselor and tries to figure out what happened to them.

Pretty Things - Janelle Brown I had read that this was picked up for a TV series before it was even published. However, something about it fell flat for me. It's about two women - one is a grifter and the other an heiress - who met when they were young and whose lives become intertwined again when they are older.

The Guest List - Lucy Foley I liked this one. It's about a wedding taking place on a remote island near Scotland (?) and one of the guests is found dead.

Horrorstor - Grady Hendrix This is a silly horror type book. Takes place in an Ikea-type store. Silly story but kind of funny because it looks like an Ikea catalog!

The Sisters Weiss - Naomi Ragen I've enjoyed reading this author's books. She writes about the Orthodox Jewish/Hasidem community. This one is about a family with two daughters and one of them runs away from her life in the community. Most of the story is about the relationship between the sisters and the ramifications that occur in both their lives.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

August reading
Old 08-01-2020, 12:12 PM

just started
The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See and will begin Life Without Water by Marci Bolden

finished...The Dutch House
dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Light Reading
Old 08-01-2020, 12:30 PM

I need escapism.

Book Charmer by Karen Hawkins

New York Times bestselling author Karen Hawkins crafts an unforgettable story about a sleepy Southern town, two fiercely independent women, and a truly magical friendship.

Live and Let Chai by Bree Baker

A Cozy Mystery-Thanks to someone here on PT for the recommendation. I ordered the next three in the series.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-01-2020, 01:22 PM

puzzle--i've had The Guest List on my request list from the library since the 13th and i'm still 12th down on the list. (which is fine because i have several books ready to read)--and i'm hoping it will fit one of the categories i need to read for my challenge....i read an unexpected book that fit into the category that Guest List originally did--oops.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 08-01-2020, 01:27 PM

I read The Lido by Libby Page - someone here recommended it. I loved that book!

I also read Red Head by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler which was also good.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Too Much and Never Enough by Mary Trump

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell ..a fictional story
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Old 08-01-2020, 01:53 PM

To Much and Never Enough by Mary Trump
The Soul of America by John Meacham

Reading now...
Hamilton by Ron Chernow
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to say I also recently read Mary Trump's book Too Much and Never Enough. It was quite interesting, and it gave some insight into our current President. I won't say more because it will veer off into politics.

Haley23

Old 08-01-2020, 02:57 PM

This month some of my PT recommendations finally came in!

I read My Dark Vanessa which was definitely a compelling read. I agree with the pp that the content certainly isn't for everyone. I wasn't happy with the ending- I felt like there wasn't any sort of resolution.

I'm currently reading Tiny Imperfections which also came from one of these threads. It's definitely a "beach read" but the main character is head of admissions at a super fancy private school. She gets emails from crazy parents and then drafts her own responses before deleting them. Something we can all relate to and enjoy!

In July my book club read The Yellow House and I hated it. It's a memoir about growing up in New Orleans, including during Katrina. There were small parts that were interesting, but most of it was just meandering, uninteresting details. At book club we were discussing how none of us could really find a common thread/plot- what was the author's purpose for writing the book?

This month we're reading The Library Book. I haven't started yet, but I'm glad to see a few others here liked it! I'm not usually a fan of nonfiction either so we'll see.

My mom has been raving about This Tender Land. I got on the wait list at the library at the beginning of the summer and it just came in, but I delayed the hold because I need to finish my current book and then read my book club book next. School starts for teachers next week, so I won't have as much time anymore.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Finished Last Night
Old 08-01-2020, 03:08 PM

The Lost and Found Bookshop by Susan Wiggs...very good...about a bookshop owner named Blythe, her daughter, Natalie, Blythe's dad, Andrew, who is suffering from old age, Peach, the bookshop's handyman, Dorothy, the handyman's daughter, and a children's author, Trevor. The bookshop is in financial trouble and the handyman keeps discovering treasures behind the walls as he is making the bookshop habitable. Can the treasures save the bookstore? Set in San Francisco, the bookshop has a history and mystery of its own.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 08-01-2020, 03:18 PM

I have finished The Dutch House Ann Patchett
Birds of a FeatherJennifer Winspear
Dear EdwardAnn Napolatana
The Tender LandWilliam Kent Kruger
I am in the middle of Us Against YouFredrik Backman

While weeding my flower beds, walking and doing other household chores I will be listening to Something in the WaterCatherine Steadman
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-01-2020, 03:37 PM

CZMOM, I will be interested to see what you think of Something in the Water. I thought it was one of the dumbest books I ever read with the protagonist making every possible bad decision.

yrutching

July reads
Old 08-01-2020, 04:34 PM

I read three great books this month.

As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner was set in 1918 in Philadelphia during the Spanish flu pandemic.

The Shape of Mercy by Susan Messner was a past/present story about a college student who transcribes a diary of a girl accused of being one of the Salem witches.

Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain was a past/present story about a mural and two artists. The first painted the mural and then suddenly disappeared. The second artist is hired to restore the mural and seeks to solve the disappearance of the original artist.
yrutching is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 08-01-2020, 08:22 PM

Not sure if I already posted it in July, but James Sallis is one of my top 3 authors so...

Sarah Jane by James Sallis. Great book, as always...
The namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, mentioned here

I started Gilead but left it aside.. Not in the mood

I've enjoyed Roland Merullo's books: Breakfast with Buddha, Lunch with Buddha and Dinner with Buddha. Funny at times, easy to read but some deeper topics to think about too.

I've just started my DD's recommendation: Braiding sweetgrass by Robin Wallkimmer and am enjoying it a lot! Indigenous wisdom, scientific knowledge and the teaching of plants.

Can't wait to add some of the books mentioned here to my wish list
WacSingLof is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-01-2020, 08:36 PM

With so much uncertainty around school I've had a harder time concentrating on reading this month.

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson. It was okay. It's the story of a set of twins who catch fire when they are upset or angry, and the woman who ends up taking care of them. It's a bit bizarre.

You've Been Volunteered is the second in the Class Mom series by Laurie Gelman. Funny, light, a little silly. I like the first one better, but this was a quick and often humorous read.

I read Defending Jacob because I wanted to watch the tv series. It's about a boy accused of murdering his classmate. The ending was very unexpected.

I'm in the middle of How to Be an Antiracist. It's good and thought provoking, but requires a lot of concentration and thought, so it's taking me a really long time to finish it.

I started Me by Elton John but it just didn't keep my attention.

I also started Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel. I actually really liked the style of writing, and I've heard great things about the series, but again it was taking too much thought and I've had such a hard time concentrating. I will come back to it later.

I'm in the middle of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which is the memoir of Dave Eggers. I love his style, and this is funny and quirky at the same time.

I finished Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, #7 in the Outlander series. A reread, it's what I always fall back on when I want to read but can't focus. I started (again) on #8, and am praying that #9 comes out soon so I have an escape from school crap once it all gets started!

Whoever mentioned My Dark Vanessa - I totally agree. It was very compelling and I couldn't put it down, but it was also completely disturbing and it's not something I could recommend.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Susan, I really enjoyed Hamilton.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:09 AM

Hamilton was great. I bought Chernow's biography of Washington. I haven't started it yet.
Jon Meachem has a new book coming out this month about John Lewis.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 AM

I've been listening to The Body by Bill Bryson. He wrote A Walk in the Woods and many other nonfiction and essay type books and I love his writing style - informational but not dry or textbook like. Anyway, he reads this so it's nice to hear in his voice. Also, it's remarkable to hear the chapter about disease considering what we are going through right now with the pandemic.

Prior to that I read When We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. So, so good!
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 AM

word girl - I love Bill Bryson! I've read most of his books. I have The Body and it's on my TBR list.

Czechgirl

Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM

Distance Learning by Doug Fisher
Quintessence by Jess Redman
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Official July List
Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 AM

All right, so here is my official list of books I finished in July with my thoughts.

Children/Young Adult (I still like these and am often drawn to them! They are short reads and keeps me posted on what my students might be reading!):

Second Chance Summer: I gave this 5/5 stars on Goodreads. At first, I thought it was going to be a cheesy, naive, petty, silly, light weight teen romance, but as I got into it, it got deep and had a great message. I thought the author did a WONDERFUL job with it!

Because of Mr. Terupt: I also gave this 5/5 stars on Goodreads. I've bene meaning to read it for years, but it was always checked out at the library. I was finally able to get it. It was so good! I signed up for the next book in the series and will hopefully read that in August!

Kizzy Ann Stamps: 3/5 stars on Goodreads. I didn't care for the whole book being written as letters, but even as letters, it didn't sound as letters. I also thought/was hoping there would be a more historical aspect.

Adult Books:

Nothing to See Here: I gave this 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. I though the writing was hilarious. I certainly had several laugh out loud moments. I though the plot was a little too bizarre for me, but it still kept my interest. I couldn't put it down, wanting to find out what happened.

Night Road: I gave this 5/5 stars on Goodreads. I absolutely LOVED this. It seriously needs to be made into a movie.

Whistling Past the Graveyard: I gave this 3/5 out of stars. Some parts totally captured my attention and held my interest, other parts seemed to drag for me. I also thought the plot was unrealistic with a 9 year old. Maybe a 14 or 15 year old, but not a 9 year old. I also thought it brought in too many events.

A Death in Italy : This is an account of the Amanda Knox case. I like true crime! I gave it 3/5 stars. I thought its as good and it had a lot of good information, but at times, too much and to hard to keep track of for being so long. It seemed to drag on.

Waiting to be Heard: This is Amanda Knox's memoir. I like to read true crime books from different perspectives! I also gave this 3 out of 5 stars. Lots of good information like the other one, but again, too much and hard to keep track of. It seemed to drag on as well.

Such a Fun Age: I gave this 4/5 stars on Goodreads. I really enjoyed the book. It had lots of good themes and good messages. It wasn't what I was expecting though.

Can't wait to post in August!

word girl

Old 08-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I love Bill Bryson! I've read most of his books. I have The Body and it's on my TBR list.
You will really like this one. Iíve learned so much.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

texteach55

Old 08-02-2020, 05:00 PM

I loved this book!

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

Survival for Ki Lim and Sang Ly is a daily battle at Stung Meanchey, the largest municipal waste dump in all of Cambodia. They make their living scavenging recyclables from the trash. Life would be hard enough without the worry for their chronically ill child, Nisay, and the added expense of medicines that are not working. Just when things seem worst, Sang Ly learns a secret about the ill-tempered rent collector who comes demanding money--a secret that sets in motion a tide that will change the life of everyone it sweeps past. The Rent Collector is a story of hope, of one womans journey to save her son and another womans chance at redemption. It demonstrates that even in a dump in Cambodia--perhaps especially in a dump in Cambodia--everyone deserves a second chance.
texteach55 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 08-04-2020, 06:15 PM

I'm a little late to this party!

In July, I read:

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris. This was a reread for me and for my book club. I thought the ending was a little weak but I love her writing.

Ragged Company by Richard Wagamese. This is for my book club too, and it's one of the best books I've ever read. Stunning writing and a great story.

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It's a good thriller.

A Great Reckoning and Glass Houses both by Louise Penny. They are #12 and #13 in the series. There are 15 in the series so far, I'm a little reluctant to read #14 because that will mean there's only one more until she publishes a new one.

Second Chance Summer by Jill Shalvis. I like a good chick lit book but this isn't one of them. This was pretty silly, pretty forgettable, and pretty predictable.

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths. A new series for me! I can't remember who recommended this but I'm happy.

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan. I think this was recommended here. I liked it--it's not great but it's a nice read.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

anonymouse
Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 PM

I'm about half way through Hamilton and I'm really enjoying it. I do plan on reading Meachem's book on John Lewis... love his writing.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 08-12-2020, 06:11 PM

Emails. All I have time to read is emails.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote