Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

“Just in time” learning

>

lisa53

“Just in time” learning
Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 AM

Two Sundays ago I attended the once a month Spanish Mass at the local shrine. It was a somewhat unusual Sunday in that there were more native English speakers in attendance than native Spanish speakers. Only one of the Spanish speakers was (reluctantly) willing to lector, and she only wanted to do one reading. Father asked me if I would be willing to do the other one. I lector at regular Mass frequently. I am trying to learn Spanish and I know the basic rules of pronunciation (although I’m sure I have an awful accent), so I agreed to look it over. The only word I was not sure of was “Isaias”. I asked the other lector, and I was able to do the reading.

Who knew I would be using that nugget of learning in the next few weeks?

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Pronunciation
Old 08-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Congratulations on accepting the challenge!

I taught in a predominantly Spanish-speaking community, so I got used to hearing and speaking most of my students' names in Spanish. I had a couple of students within those years whose names were Isaias (ee-sah-EE-ahs). I was very surprised when I first heard the news anchors saying the name with Spanish pronunciation.

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know how the decision was made to pronounce it that way?
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

pronunciation
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know how the decision was made to pronounce it that way?
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but in Spanish, the vowel I is pronounced as EE, the A as ah (as in father). All Romantic and most Germanic languages have the same pronunciation of the vowels. English is an exception.

ETA: the more I thought about it, the more I realized you were referring to the news anchors pronouncing names with Spanish pronunciation. I have not paid much attention to it, but here in So Cal so many people have Hispanic names that it is not uncommon at all to pronounce the Spanish way.

Does anyone remember how SNL used to make fun of Ricardo Montalban's accent? I wonder how that would play today.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I do!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I just read this the other day. It was really informative

https://nj1015.com/nj-weather-101-ee...t-their-names/
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Isaias
Old 08-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
the more I thought about it, the more I realized you were referring to the news anchors pronouncing names with Spanish pronunciation.
Hi cvt! You're right. But, maybe the info you provided will help another member. Usually, in TV and radio, even Spanish names are pronounced using the English sound system, so I wondered who decided or how it was decided to pronounce it with a Spanish sound system (since that so seldom happens in national news.)

I understand the part you explained, since I heard Spanish as a child and taught in the dual-language program for many years. Plus, as you said, we are surrounded by it, living in SoCal.

I enjoy the fact that so many of us, in SoCal, are fluent in both English and Spanish. I always feel so lucky to be able to find inspiration or comfort by a beautiful song or poetry in English and also be able to listen to (or read) and be inspired by a song or poetry in Spanish. Double the access, double the inspiration!

Risa

Hurricane naming
Old 08-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Word Fountain! Thank you so much!
I truly was interested in learning about the language aspect. I knew about how hurricanes were named in alphabetical order, but I hadn't realized they were named in several languages.

Now what will I do with that little tidbit of knowledge? Haha! Probably not a single thing. But fun to know! Thanks again!