Help

Second Grade

Ckla

>

apple annie

Ckla
Old 09-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone using Core Knowledge Language Arts? For the past several years we've used Storytown to teach reading and were happy with it. This year we switched to CKLA - both the Listening and Learning strand and the Skills strand - because it is supposedly aligned with Common Core standards. I am overwhelmed, as are my students and their parents. I've had one parent pull her child and put him in another school.

Is anyone else teaching this curriculum? What do you think of it? Am I doing something wrong?

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy 31

Ckla
Old 10-04-2015, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How did your year go with CKLA? What grade do you teach? I teach fifth grade and we started CKLA this year. While it is a lot of work this year, I think we will like it. The Activity books were purchased this year, but I'm sure our district won't buy them next year. We've had parents complain about the 4th grade Islamic unit, other than that, no other complaints as of yet.
Wendy 31 is offline   Reply With Quote

maestraroja

Ckla
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We adopted CKLA this year. I am teaching 2nd grade and find it very overwhelming! We are currently teaching the war of 1812! I feel this is not age appropriate..am I the crazy one here? Someone help me out! I'm feeling very discouraged....:
maestraroja is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-08-2017, 12:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I am teaching 2nd grade and find it very overwhelming! We are currently teaching the war of 1812!
CKLA is intended to support schools who are following the Core Knowledge Sequence. I assume that you are not a Core Knowledge school if you're surprised by the inclusion of the War of 1812 in the CKLA materials. Amplify created the curriculum to align with Core Knowledge but still be able to be used by any school even if you aren't a CK school (though, having taught it for a few years, I couldn't tell you why a school would choose it if they weren't a CK school).

You can see the sequence here: http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/m...quence_Rev.pdf

Quote:
I'm sure our district won't buy them next year
Amplify provides PDFs of several of the workbooks online if you have a login. Maybe check into that.

Quote:
Is anyone else teaching this curriculum? What do you think of it? Am I doing something wrong?
The Core Knowledge Sequence does expect more of the students, so depending on what grade you're teaching, it could be extremely overwhelming if they don't have the skills and background knowledge that CK develops beginning in Kindergarten. Our K-3 love CKLA. The upper grades like it.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote