Help

Third Grade

Moving to Third

>

teacherlass

Moving to Third
Old 05-17-2015, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After 12 years in First Grade, and the last 3 years in Kindergarten, I will be moving to Third Grade next year. While I am very excited for the change, I also feel a bit lost. I'm not sure what information and supplies I will need to gather over the summer to be fully prepared. I'm looking forward to working again with the students I had in Kindergarten. But I also realize that I was new to Kindergarten with them and I don't want to spend another year with them "figuring it out". The transition from First to Kindergarten seemed a bit less stressful. Yet it also took me awhile to find my comfort zone. I am looking for suggestions on what I can do this summer to plan for Third Grade. Are there teacher blogs I should look at? (I've looked at a few already) Resources I should be sure to have in my room? Books I should have available for the students to read? All suggestions are welcome, and greatly appreciated, as I prepare for my new adventure! 😬

teacherlass is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

spend time
Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is a wealth of knowledge and information in the archives of this board. I suggest that you spend some time searching there. If you are in Common Core state there is a ton of stuff out there.

I have found the group of third grade teachers here to be especially generous in their sharing. I have also found that Unseen's task cards are often geared towards third grade.

It is a great age. I love their independence and their innocence.

There are so many great novels to introduce them to and to explore with them.

Welcome!!
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Welcome to Third
Old 05-17-2015, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my eleventh year to teach third graders and I love this age group. I hope you will as well.

You have been teaching kids to read (decode). The focus changes in third and they will be reading to learn more now rather than learning to read. I would spend some time this summer preparing to teach comprehension strategies.

Here is a link to my favorite website on the topic. Maybe you will find it helpful.

http://reading.ecb.org/
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

scateacher

Yay!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Welcome to 3rd grade!! This was my first year of teaching 3rd grade. I absolutely LOVE it.

The suggestions above are great. I recently came across a blog that I really like. If you start playing around on that blog it'll lead you to other great blogs. The blog is: www.3rdgradethoughts.com

I have been reading The Book Whisperer and will be implementing many of the techniques in my classroom next year. My students really enjoyed reading Chris Van Allsburg books while studying character traits. My kids really liked The Boxcar Children as well.

You will probably be teaching your state history. Teaching about Oklahoma history is one of my favorite times of the year.

I have a TON of resources on Pinterest. If you're interested just shoot me a PM and I'll get you connected.

I hope you enjoy 3rd grade as much as I do! Good luck!
scateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

state???
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't know what state you are in or if your district is strictly using adopted textbooks but I would get yourself familiar with your core textbooks first and inquire from the other third grade teachers what the pacing guides look like. Hopefully you will have a flexible guide which will allow you to explore some extended literacy activities. I would research close reading because you will be diving deep into comprehension. I loved taking my third graders on that journey. It's a journey you will learn as much as they will. Math will take you and your students to unchartered waters that will be challenging and adventuresome. Take time this summer to practice some of the math strategies you will be teaching them. I created study guides for the chapter tests and a study guide for homework. Definitely check with the third grade teachers at your site to see if you can get together before school is out to discuss an action plan for next year. Even a quick synopsis of the year to share with you what worked and what didn't work.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

rlnrodgers

3rd grade
Old 05-18-2015, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love this book for 3rd grade informational text. It describes what students need to be able to do for each common core standard and where they will need to go in 4th and 5th grades.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Common-Cor.../dp/0988950537
rlnrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

rlnrodgers
Old 05-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also love Rozlyn Linder's website and blog. All of her books are great!
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherlass

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great tips! I've already been exploring a bit on the third grade page here. I know I will be looking closer at it once my Kindergarteners have Benin sent off for the summer. I've also looked at 3rdgradethoughts.com. Both have made me less anxious about my move. I work at a school in the Archdiocese of Chicago. We are currently looking at new reading textbooks for K-5. The choices have been narrowed to Reading Street and Wonders. I think the majority is leaning towards Reading Street. I have already been online looking at the 3rd grade math program we use, enVision. I'm looking forward to growing as an educator, and gaining more experience next year. Encouraging my former students to be lifelong learners will be shown off in my adventures in a new grade!
teacherlass is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-23-2015, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Even though you are moving from teaching to read to reading to learn, there is still a need for phonics work with many third graders and a big need for most on syllabication, both for reading and writing.

My group really got into projects toward the end of the year. I assigned a ppt project on animals, and they really enjoyed that, to the point of asking if they could work on them at home. It gave me an opportunity to work with individual students on sentence structure, phonetics, spelling, research techniques, and etc. I am going to work a few more projects into my curriculum next year.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like this blog. She has moved to first grade, but still keeps up her 3rd grade blog and Facebook page:

http://www.3rdgradegridiron.com

prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote