Help

Second Grade

Moving to 2nd

>

TeachLoveRead

Moving to 2nd
Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am moving to 2nd grade next year. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th with the last 4 years being in 4th. I know this is a busy time of year, but I was wondering if you all could answer a couple of questions.
  1. What are some must-have books and/or series for my classroom library? I currently have around 1,000 books but they are mostly 3rd-7th grade level so I am going to have to do a lot of purging and some replacing.
  2. Do your students sit at tables or desks?
  3. Do you still do a calendar routine in 2nd grade?

I know I can ask a lot of these questions to the current 2nd grade teachers, but I don't know them, and they are at a different location. We are merging from a K-2 and a 3-5 school to a K-5 school next year.

TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-17-2015, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Some of the lower level ones (third grade, fourth grade) can still be used as you'll have higher readers in class probably. I have lots of Bailey School kids, Magic Treehouse books, Ready Freddy, Henry and Mudge books, Clifford, Splat the Cat, Fly Guy books as some obvious big chunks. I have some Caldecott books too and am trying to accumulate a collection of nonfiction texts (they especially like the animal books). Some fun picture books: the Pigeon, Creepy Carrots, Chicken Butt, Chris Van Allsburg books.
2. They sit at desks which I push into tables.
3. No I don't but I think others do.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Cruxian
Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply. I know I'll keep some of the 3-4 level books but I am worried about hitting those lower readers. I typically have a lot of the lower ones. Thank you for your suggestions.
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Second graders also love nonfiction books.

Some of our second grades have tables or groups of four pushed together to make a table of sorts.

All we do for calendar is say the date together every morning.

Second grade is a wonderful grade to teach!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

ojitos

second grade
Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just found out today that I am moving to second grade too... I'm kind of excited. Going from 1st to 2nd.
A book that I recommend is Reading with Meaning -Debbie Miller. There are others but can't think of the titles just now. I would have to see my library. I'm confident we'll do great... I think second is just an extension of first.

ojitos is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 04-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Welcome to the world of second grade! I think you will love it!

Be prepared when they come in that first day and weeks--they are still "first graders" and will be very needy and unable to do much for a long period of time.

As for books, keep of your chapter books as you will have high readers. Like others said, they love picture books also and magazines (Highlights, Scholastic). I found a lot of books at garage sales and Goodwill.

My students sit at desks.

I don't do a calendar but one of my teammates does.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveLife54

Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You will love 2nd! Be prepared for them to be a little needy at first. Just remind them that they are not 1st graders anymore and "they will rise to the occasion!"
I might begin the year in rows of desks and later form groups/teams when you get a feel for how well they work together.
Get that 2nd grade library ready! Junie B. Jones etc. They do enjoy nonfiction!
I'd get those Scholastic book orders ready for your new level.
LoveLife54 is offline   Reply With Quote
AMK88

AMK88

books
Old 04-27-2015, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Books- I would definitely also have all the Level J series- Froggy, Henry and Mudge, Poppleton, Mr. Putter and Tabby, Fox, High Rise Private Eyes, etc, and Level K/L series- Mercy Watson, Amelia Bedelia, Pinky and Rex, Little Bill, Kevin Henkes books, Horrible Harry, Cam Jansen, etc! Love love love 2nd grade!

Your low kids will also love Elephant and Piggie, Fly Guy, Little Critter and Dragon!

Tounces

2nd grade
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wanted to add that calendar time is important instructional time if you use it wisely, not just for the date. Calendar Math is a great way to incorporate skills everyday. They can keep track of how many days they've been in school. They celebrate for 100 days with activities for the whole day. My ESL kids really needed it to learn about days, months, seasons, weather, temperature etc.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

JBVTeach2

2nd Grade
Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been teaching second grade for many years. I have taught first, second and third. I looped twice from second to third. I always used desks, then four years ago I asked my principal if I could get tables. He agreed. I was a tad nervous about it, but, I would never want to go back to desks. I found second graders tend to play with things in their desks and so much time is wasted when they can not find somethin. I bought organization caddies from Lakeshore and got some at Target where pencils, markers, crayons etc are kept. I have two desks at the end of each table where I have beens for their notebooks and a place for the caddies. I send a letter home in August stating that school supplies are community supplies except for notebooks and pencil cases. We have four second grade classes and three of them use tables. Good Luck, you will love second grade.

JBVTeach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

gocubsgo

Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think Calendar Time is a very important part of each day, especially at the beginning of the year. Aside from the date we keep track (on a number line) of each new day of 2nd grade. We use that number to practice these skills:
~add to a number line
~tally marks
~add to place value cups
~add to the ten frame
~add to the hundred chart
~create addition/subtraction problems
~odd/even
~Roman Numerals
~create a bar model
~flip chart (ones, tens, hundreds)
~set a time on the clock and write the correct time below it

I start the beginning of the year by doing 1 or 2 of these, and each week I add a new part to the daily routine. By mid-year I assign a different Calendar Captain each day, and that student is responsible for changing everything on the calendar. They can take care of that responsibility at anytime during the day, except for when I'm teaching, or they have work to complete. If they need help from a classmate, they may choose a friend to help them. My kids really enjoy Calendar Time.
gocubsgo is offline   Reply With Quote