Help

Daily 5

Daily5/Cafe vs. Debbie Miller

>

glasgow314

Daily5/Cafe vs. Debbie Miller
Old 04-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a 3rd year teacher this year. I would not say I am worksheet queen but I was getting close this year. No one at my school did anything but the basal my first year teaching so that is what I did. Then last year they hired a teacher who came in and introduced me to reader's workshop and I have incorporated many ideas she has given me but I don't truely understand how to make it all work in my classroom. I had a baby in Dec. and have slipped back into just using worksheets while trying to juggle working and being a new mommy. My plan this summer is to read books on how to teach reading. What exactly is the difference between Daily 5 and Debbie Miller's methods. Also there is a Debbie Diller?? I assume most of you prefer Daily 5 but I just want to make sure i make the right decision for my classroom. Thanks!!

glasgow314 is offline   Reply With Quote

glasgow314

forgot
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I forgot to say I am a 3rd grade teacher.

ritabook2

D5 and Debbie Miller
Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

D5 is basically the framework for the workshop. It is the organization, gives your kids tasks to work on while you are meeting with individuals and/or groups. Debbie Miller's ideas are comprehension strategies that you would teach during that workshop time, usually during the whole group lesson and then reinforced during small group and individual conferences. Debbie Diller has books about centers, meeting with small groups and creating your classroom environment. You can google her for the exact titles. Her ideas are valuable too and fit nicely into the D5 framework. I use a lot of her ideas for Work on Writing and during my small group time. That's what is great about D5-you can use the framework to fit your needs. You may want to check into the Cafe book by the sisters, too, because it addresses the lessons you will teach during the D5 rotation. Once you get it up and running you will find that it actually will free up your time from grading and preparing papers, while they are getting valuable time to practice needed skills.
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbono

Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I find that Debbie Miller's approach is more like a workshop:

reading minilesson
independent reading time (or D5 "Read to Self")
and then
writing minilesson
independent writing time (or D5 Work on Writing)

Daily 5 is just
minilesson
independent practice (any of the D5 the student chooses)
minilesson
independent practice (any of the D5 the student chooses)
etc

I find pros and cons to both. I think giving students choice is very valuable...but I also think there can be more evaluation going on with the workshop approach- for example...you teach a questioning minilesson and then all the students go off and practice questioning at the same time. You can give them a focus as they go read or write.

I have been torn over which approach to take next year (right now I do two rounds of D5)... so this post is helpful to me as well.
mrsbono is offline   Reply With Quote

glasgow314

menus or tic-tac-toe boards
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was thinking about doing a readers workshop but giving them a menu or tic-tac toe board each week so they will have choices but the can be centered around what mini-lessons I am teaching that week. Has anyone tried this. I recently learned about it in a workshop. What books do you recommend I read over the summer. i don't think I will make it through to many so i need to narrow it down to the 2 or 3 most important. I would also love a book of mini lessons or some resources on where to find good mini lessons.

McD2

D5 is better....
Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have done both Reading Workshop and Daily 5 and I find D5 meets the needs of more learners better. Given the previous example, I have to say I disagree about "more evaluation going on in reading workshop." I am constantly evaluating my class daily, much more so than in the traditional reading workshop format.

For example, the text connection lesson can still be done in a similar way, with the whole class. The kids that I see "get" it the first time the see/hear it can be giving an assignment during "Read to Self" time. (post its, journals, etc). Then I can pull groups and work with individuals on the same strategy. Those kids who need the help the most, get the most attention, vs all the kids moving at the same pace. I can meet individually and in small groups on text connections with follow up support, teach more who class lessons, give out more projects, etc.

The D5 advantage, I find, is the structure allows kids to work on text connections at their own level. I can have kids finding text connections in a 5th grade book and in a 1st grade book. Also, they don't just do that one activity. That is just one piece. They are also working on words (vocabulary and spelling), reading with partners, listening to reading.

Reading Workshop and D5 have a LOT of similarities but the D5 structure is quite frankly magical! You will be amazed at the love of reading and independence it sparks. Just imagine your class actively reading, working with post-it notes, jotting down vocabulary words, making text connections and answering comprehension questions for 25 blessed uninterrupted minutes you can meet with groups! Then imagine them doing that for THREE 25 minute blocks in a row (for other D5 choices!).

Will never return to Reading Workshop... Use Debbie's stuff, but put it in the D5 structure. You won't regret it!
McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

Menus
Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm currently a 4th year teacher, and I used menus and choice boards frequently last year. It might be a good transition step for you as you move toward something like D5 or Reading Workshop. It will probably help you feel like you're maintaining some control still. As I've moved on the try Reader's Workshop/D5, I have felt like I'm not doing "enough" because I don't have a gradebook grade every week like I used to with the basal. I know that the grade isn't the important part, but that my kids LOVE to read! I just feel some of that pressure from the outside: ).
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

glasgow314

menus or tic-tac-toe boards
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think that i am going to transition next year and use the menus because I don't have any support and the one teacher who does readers workshop is leaving us so it will be lonely me. I am nervous about it and need to pick a book about reader's workshop to read this summer. I am already signed up for an online workshop about writing so I don't won't to overwhelm myself with to much information. Does anyone know where I could get some pre-made boards to start off with before i have to make my own. I think I will use the basal for mini lessons because I don't have a lot of resources. We are getting the new McMillian-Mcgraw basal. We have the old hartcourt this year. I found a link to a really cool website for our new basal but wish i could find one for the old one. I am rambling but all the help is greatly appreciated and i would love anymore imput.

teach/mom1st

d5 and cafe
Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This year, I used more of a reading workshop format from Debbie Miller's book in that I only had time to do one mini-lesson followed by read-to-self and read-to-someone. But, I could never have gotten that up and running without the Daily Five implementation chart!! This is the first year I have been successful with doing read-to-self/independent reading and I owe it all to building stamina and book boxes!

I also like how Debbie Miller's book had the mini-lessons sequenced with decoding/accuracy being first before going into comprehension. However, the Cafe book seems to be more multi-grade level. It is a very simple, yet eye-opening book in regards to teaching literacy.

I found that using the CAFE strategies and the structure of the kids knowing how to read-to-self and read-to-someone integrated nicely with whatever program I needed to teach. The CAFE menu is an awesome supplement to my phonics and reading programs and it took very little effort to use something that turned out to be very powerful for my students.

I was hesitant to jump right into teaching comprehension strategies on the first 3 days of school, but I promise you, my 1st graders have remembered and used those strategies all year long!
teach/mom1st is offline   Reply With Quote

peacekeeper

Moving to 2nd D5, CAFE and RWM
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have used Daily 5 and Cafe in my classroom for the last 3 years. This year I am moving from 1st to 2nd. I had to modify daily 5 a little with this group so I Read Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning this summer. I do not plan on giving up Daily 5 but will probably mesh the 2 ideas and modify for what works best with the group of students I am teachig. Two years ago Daily 5 worked beautifully. I found so many useful ideas in Reading with Meaning. Especially the examples she shared. I actually decided to create a beginning of the year Unit typed out so I can follow or modify it each year based on reflections of what works best.

peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

ojitos

Debbie Miller and cafe/daily 5
Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was wondering If my very first lesson could be Metacognition with an activity then continuing with cafe daily 5. With common core dictating how we teach I'm a little lost. We have 2 weeks to implement daily 5/cafe, then we moving on to informational texts. What advice can you give me?
ojitos is offline   Reply With Quote