The VENT

Being considered the "bad teacher"

>

Gr9Teach

Gr9Teach

Being considered the "bad teacher"
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I sometimes make the mistake of searching for myself online. I did it tonight, and found some comments from current students about how I'm the "worst teacher", how one of them learns more from the aide that I have in the class than from me, etc. I have taught for several years, been named Teacher of the Year at my school, and have always had great evaluations. Why don't students like my teaching then? I know that I shouldn't take these comments to heart, but they do bother me because I try so hard to be a good teacher.

My personal opinion is that students are turned off from the fact that I am strict and actually expect them to go home and review the material in order to do well in my class. You can't just coast by, and you can't goof off in my room. So now I get the reputation of the "worst teacher"?

What scares me is that my state is considering revamping the teacher evaluation system to consider student evaluations of teachers as part of a teacher's overall performance rating. Will the fact that I am a tough teacher, and not the laid back popular teacher, hurt my overall evaluation now?

Sorry for the vent. I wish I didn't go looking for ratings of myself on the internet, because it just gets me preoccupied with these thoughts. It kills me that students can be so nice to my face all the time and then go home to write such malicious comments about me for the whole world to see.

jazzer

Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did you go on rate my teacher.com? Don't go on it. That is the best way to do your job and not let extraneous things bother you.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the students said. Like you said, students will say negative things about teachers who try to make them accountable for their work. Hopefully the district will take that into consideration if they decide to give value to the opinions of students. It should not matter whether students like you or not, only if they are learning from you.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

Web Site
Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ignore anything you read on there. The comments may not truly be from students you've taught, but from trolls that think it's hysterical to put teachers down.
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachersrule2

Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree. Don't let things get to you. It matters what you think. If you know you are a good teacher and you work really hard and love teaching that is all that matters.
teachersrule2 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Just consider what kinds of people would
Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

take the time to write nasty things online about someone. Decent people don't do things merely to hurt others. If students or parents had a valid complaint about you, they could have gone through the proper channels to do with the complaint.

Speaking of beware of looking oneself up.... I typed in my name, and discovered that some newspaper in some far off county has a web site that gives out specifics about every public school teacher in the state--current age, year earned masters, salary, number of years with district, endorsements, age lost my virginity (just kidding with that one)..., but the rest is true. Talk about creepy!

blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Spartan40

Your not the worst teacher...I am hahaha
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

According to my students I'm the worst teacher ever. Don't stress, I constantly have to remind myself that these are children, not adults. Their brains are not fully developed, they can't vote, can't drink, and most of the time can't think for themselves and have to go with what everyone else is doing. Who cares what they think! Most of them can't read at grade level, or think at your level. So just smile and soldier on.
Spartan40 is offline   Reply With Quote