Help

Special Education

Take or leave?

>

rosedemai

Take or leave?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am leaving my position (gave long notice) for a hopefully better one.

I purchased many materials on my own due to the school/district saying they did not have the funds.
Some of these resources are programs/files and I hate to leave the kids without them as they are doing well on them but I do not want to violate copyright.
Others are things that I could make copies for my successor although that is also violating copyright.

I am going to leave behavior materials (chart, etc.) as the kids are used to them.

I love my current class and it isn't their fault the district has not $ for them.

I will leave a lot of materials I printed at home with my own paper and ink.
I certainly will leave all the school materials.

What would you do regarding the copyright materials?

rosedemai is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

don't want to get in trouble
Old 12-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As much as your heart says do right by the kids, you have to think if someone is vindictive what will happen to you.
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 12-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You purchased those materials with your hard-earned money. And, as much as you care about the students, it is not your fault that the district isn't purchasing materials. You could always leave a note for the next teacher explaining the programs that you used, and where s/he can purchase the materials if they want to. (Don't make copies of material with a copyright, you wouldn't want someone to do that to your products.) It won't feel great, but you need to just take it with you.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 12-26-2014, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I purchased many materials on my own
and those materials are yours. Take them with you. The children will be fine.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Greenbunny is right. Those materials are yours and you should take them with you. You will probably need them for your next job.

Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 12-26-2014, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree to take with you what you bought with your own money. The kids will adjust to their new teacher, who may have even better ideas/materials to use. You never know. I would not violate copyright.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 12-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that the items that are yours should stay with you. It's great that you can leave a few key items, ie your behavior charts, but you may need the rest for your new room, too. Definitely keep the ones that are copyrighted.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Tpt
Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I guess I do need to take some materials with me like the stuff I bought on TPT - quite a bit. It is copyright and I want to respect the right of fellow teachers. I printed everything out at home with my own paper and ink but did use the school laminator.

I guess I feel guilty b/c when I came to the classroom, it was literally stripped - the prior teacher had taken everything including so many things that did not belong to her. I don't want someone else to be in the same position.

Lakeside

Old 12-28-2014, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you need the items for your new job, and your new school doesn't have them, it's certainly OK to take them. They are technically yours.

But if you don't need them, I'm not clear how it is violating copyright to pass them on to the next teacher in the room? It's not as if you're still using copies too. Books are copyrighted, and they're passed down all the time (and I'm not just thinking about in school, but relatives passing down favorites to children, etc.) If you bought it for the classroom, can't the students be considered the "owners" if that's what you want?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Do want to use them
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wasn't clear - I do want to use them in my new classroom. But I will leave anything I do not want to use or feel is best to leave like the behavior chart.

kinderlake

Could you possibly...
Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Make a deal to leave the materials for the students to use until the end zone f the year and then retrieve them? This would obviously depend on how your relationship is with the new teacher and district.

I definitely would not violate copyright at all...you also must get want to check with your principal. When I left my first position, I was told to leave anything that was made using ANY school materials. I had to leave lots of things that I created or bought and then laminated using the school laminator. These wee things I am sure weren't ever used again because they were specific to my classes...
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Afraid to leave
Old 12-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have considered just what you suggested but I am afraid to leave these materials. They cost hundreds of dollars and I'd like to be trusting but due to the fact that the prior teacher in the classroom stole materials I am leary.

Haley23

Old 12-31-2014, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree with pdxteacher. You bought the materials with your own money and they are yours. If you let the district have them for free, they will continue to take advantage and never provide materials/supply money for their teachers. I understand that you may feel guilty but it is not your responsibility to provide materials for another teacher. Like pdx said, you can tell her what the materials were and where to purchase them if she's interested, so you're not totally leaving her hanging with an empty room and no idea of where to start.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Materials
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

There will not be an empty room. The P gave me some money when I started (since the room was truly stripped!) and so a lot of basics will remain.
I think you are right - one issue I always had with the district (not the P) was that since my room was self-contained they did not want to purchase materials the kids needed - they did purchase low-level materials but a lot of my kids progressed to higher levels and they would not purchase the materials to meet their higher levels, so I went out and got them myself.

sbslab

Take them
Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I know it feels wrong, but you bought them. I, too, walked into a stripped room - literally three teacher texts. I have literally spent thousands of dollars over my nearly twenty years at my school as my class load changes every couple of years (private school). I will not be leaving what I purchased and I will not feel guilty about it. I bought the materials to enhance my three textbooks, and because they fit my style of teaching, so I am keeping them. They may not fit the style of the next teacher.

I love pdxteacher's suggestion of a list of the things you've used that work. I would have loved that as a jumping off point! I could have bought a few things and seen if they made a fit for me and gone from there.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Take your stuff
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

even if you laminated with school plastic. They had the use of the materials you created, consider it rental--saved them a bundle by your work.

I left materials for the next person and found many in the dumpster. You never know what the next person will want or will dump.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I'm retiring and....
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am taking most of my stuff with me. That sounds selfish, but the district has done very little to get me what I needed over the past several years. It used to be easy to get them to buy something. I swear I have to write a letter of justification to buy a paper clip. We were promise an open P.O. for groceries for our new curriculum. I finally wrote to the District Help Line, and even signed my name, complaining about it. I did that 2 days ago at about 7:00 in the morning. At 9:15 a coworker (another self-contained teacher) told me to check my email. There was the P.O., dated the same date. Apparently it had been approved some time ago, but my supervisor hadn't been told about it. In fact, she's been asking about it. Sooooo, I'm keeping all of my stuff and selling it at a garage sale. Teacher garage sales usually bring in a lot of money. I hate being that selfish, but I just am too angry to leave the materials.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Did end up taking some materials
Old 01-31-2015, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I ended up taking some materials but did leave my reading program books since the kids were making progress. I have been promised those will be returned to me at year end by the principal.
I may need them at my new job but hopefully we can borrow the materials from another school in my new district. If not, I'll have to ask for them now. I told the district I needed them but they wouldn't buy them so I ended up buying older used copies with my own money.

I would love to find a teacher's garage sale in my area! I look on Ebay sometime so if you decide to go that route, I hope you will share your Ebay name. I understand how you feel spedder1 - I've always worked in self-contained and found that the higher EC rooms (resource) get all the materials due to test scores.
M/S Teacher

M/S Teacher

mod/severe sped
Old 02-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

When I changed positions a couple of years ago, I was leaving some things in my room that I knew the kids liked, such as toys and also materials that I knew belonged to the district. When I started in that position I started from scratch plus a couple of bookcases, file cabinet, storage cabinet and desks/chairs. The prior teacher had taken many materials so there wasn't much I inherited. I spend around 2k seriously, on my room. So, when I changed jobs and was leaving, and going to leave some things behind, my principal said there's wasn't room for them because the new teacher needed all the space. So, FYI, leaving materials, though well intended, is good karma, but understand that, for various reasons, they may not be used by the new teacher.

When I started at my new job, the room was totally empty and I had to start from scratch. No money was offered or given (I asked), so I was glad that I took what I did with me. I went on a site scavenger hunt for tables and chairs and had success (horray!) It was hard to hear the teacher next door tell me that when she was hired years ago, she was given 800$ each year to spend on her classroom. This does mean, I guess, that if she changes jobs, she needs to leave everything purchased with school funds, so maybe buying with our own money is a good thing, considering the fact that districts just don't want to give money to start

rosedemai

Should have taken
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Well I needed some of my materials back and it took forever to get them back. In the future I will NOT be leaving my materials no matter how much I feel the kids need them.
Live and learn