Help

Magnolia Room

"Take a Break"

>

Dorsie

"Take a Break"
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just returned from a week long RC institute. The instructor says he uses a desk and chair that face the wall. What are your thought on this? I went into my room today and set up a desk and chair for my take a break (time-out) spot. How often do you send a child there and what are the usual reasons? This is SO new for me. Need some insight. TIA

kit1024

Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm new to this also - I've only read books, haven't gone to any training yet. From my understanding though, I thought the time out spot wasn't supposed to be facing away from the class. I thought children that get sent to time out were still supposed to be a part of the class (able to participate in the lesson, just removed from the large group for a little bit).

AddieJ

Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a really good article on TAB -
http://www.originsonline.org/product..._search_result

There are other great articles on tab on the Originsonline website.

TAB is never a punishment - it's taught as a way to regain composure & maintain dignity (as stated in the article above - I love the example of "Alice" & "Jake"). Children are told to tab for the smallest infractions and that teaches everyone that mistakes are unavoidable - we all make them. Each child should be given the chance to tab. I never tell my kids to "think about what they did" or "think about what they can do when they return". I tell my kids to really just take a break!! Count to ten, take deep breaths, lay your head down, scribble on a paper if necessary...whatever it is they need that will help them rejoin the group. It's all a very smooth process when everyone understands why and when we take breaks.

Children shouldn't be facing away from the group; tab is in close proximity to the group - one ear on the instruction/able to participate if possible...

Gommergirl

Tab
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used TAB for 5 years and I have never had the students face away from the class. Make sure to model how to TAB with the class. Show them how to get up from their desk, how to calmly walk back to the chair, how to sit there quietly. I even have every student practice how to do it the right way. If they become repeat offenders for TAB I have them fill out a fix-it-sheet while they are getting themselves back together.

*Fairydust*

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I totally agree with Commergirl , Addie and Kit.

Tab should not be a punishment.
They need to be able to particpate in lesson.
Maintain the dignity of the child.

I also have mine fill out a "fix it form" if they keep repeating the undesired behaviors. Usually the Tab prevents blow ups from bad tempered children.

Kids have a hard time at first realizing that tab isn't a punishment...I just keep reminding them they are not in trouble, they just need to calm down or to decompress.