Help

Special Education

throwing kids into inclusion

>

Mrsnk

throwing kids into inclusion
Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year 4th grade teacher in a public school. They have gone to "full inclusion" this year...previous years there were pull outs, etc. I am seeing the kids on my caseload struggle continually in reading, LA and math...I decided to pull them out and some other kiddos on the lower end to do small groups in RLA and math. I can't see them struggle anymore, it's heartbreaking.

What do you do?

Mrsnk is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Everyone please repeat after me....
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Inclusion does not mean everyone doing the same thing or needing the same thing! I do exactly what you are doing. I pull for small groups for academics and social skills, also pull for 1:1. My groups include some well-behaved academically how g.e. kids. My IAs do in-class support across multiple classrooms, and some small group. I modify curriculum as needed. I don't team teach because there are too many classrooms to manage, and my stupid district does absolutely nothing to train general education teachers about inclusion.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

MythBuster

Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What do you mean by full inclusion? Does this include your kids that are on modified curriculum and modified assessment? I find that differentiated instruction though is absolutely essential. Lots of small groups.
MythBuster is offline   Reply With Quote